1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

grandson jumped 05 prius, no start, main fuse blown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jtuchol, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got a call from my daughter last fri. nite could not get car started, I went there son-in-law put new 12v in car I got there found when start button pushed a quick flash of lite on dash then it would go off. I kinda recognized the problem as he reversed polarity when jumped ( he said no they did it right, not going to argue about it) well I found fuse blown back @ battery, & main fuse blown in main fuse box & dome lite blown too ( don't know what that has to do with it, but read it on some other post & they where right) I jumperd out main fuse in front of car ( with a alligator clip) replaced fuse back @ battery. car started up bunch of lites on dash ran for a short time I pulled a code & got P2118 car ran a short time & shut down with triangle of death on dash. car will no longer start or go into the ready mode. now with key on a bunch of lites on dash are on & getting codes P2118, P0AA1,P0AA2, I read some other threads on the a1, & a2, codes & it is relays stuck closed in hybrid battery case, took cover off & relays not stuck. I have been down this road before & found had a fried inverter too. I bought this car from auction last year with same issue some pin head does know what red ( +) means on 12v battery post means, so back to problem now when I had key & car fired up( no start but dash lites on) had no " clicking of relays in back" I than mesured voltage going in to 12v side of relays & got so weird voltage readings ( 9.8v) from hot side of 12v plug to ground, I am going to replace main fuse & inverter again, any thoughts or advice?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the 12v measuring?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    9.8? Kinda buried in there.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought that was something else, or it would have triggered a question? maybe it was when the car came from auction.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new battery & charge topped off.

Merged.

I am going to replace inverter, I took a look at lucious garage's past post on this they where right on the money.

Merged.

I don't understand what you are asking, or saying. ( I am slow to the draw)

#5 jtuchol, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe your (new) 12 volt battery got drained catastrophically by reversed jumper cables? (n)

Maybe invest $100~ in a dealership diagnostic, see what they say/find.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i was replying to menders post above me. we're trying to figure out where you are measuring 9.8 volts.

8. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    battery was bought after crossing.( the dead battery is what is started this )

Merged.

it is being measured aft firing key up and pulling 12v relay plugs back at hybrid battery relays & measuring voltage at the unpluged 12v plug , battery at 12.8 volts.

Merged

12.8v

#8 jtuchol, Mar 12, 2017
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Did you replace the DOME fuse? What it has to do with it is that fuse powers many of the ECUs that remain powered up when the Prius is IG-OFF, so if the battery polarity is reversed that fuse may blow to protect those ECUs.
    2. When you say "main fuse blown" are you referring to the DC/DC fusible link?
    3. P0AA1 means the positive contactor is stuck closed while P0AA2 means the positive contactor is stuck open. How is it possible for these two mutually exclusive events to be simultaneously logged?

Since you inspected the relays and did not find a problem, I think you are on the right track by planning to replace the fusible link and inverter.

Although you are wise in not arguing with your SIL, you might demonstrate correct jump technique to him so that you won't have this drill in another year. Or, an alternative is to periodically buy a new 12V battery for the Prius as a preventive measure.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whoever reverse jumped the Prius got an ID 10T error (put the two codes together). :eek:

11. willgoode

willgoode New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There goes another Prius,in the old days cars would rust out or crash, now its knowledge based

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or need a valve job or rings, muffler, brakes, plugs, points, stator, timing...

13. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I fixed a 2008 last week with multiple codes after a reverse jump start

after changing inverter and main fuse link the car still had P0A08 and P0A09 = dc/dc converter signal, found a blown 5a blade fuse in the b+ terminal block back at the 12v, car is now all good

uart likes this.
  14. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yea, trust me I am going to have a talk with him & his dad they both shrug it off but, I agree to help them but I will be the instructor they will learn what is involved ( labor wise) to do this. I just ordered parts off of car-part .com they will deliver to my door step ( I lied & told them I was a garage that repairs these cars, well, not totally a lie) I will inspect parts when they get here next week to make sure they are what they claim, I will repost as time goes on. the main fuse is going to be the hole fuse block they won't separate them so buying hole thing, and inverter which I will look closely at too.

Merged. Use multi quote.

yes, we found that too.

#14 jtuchol, Mar 15, 2017
    ozmatt and valde3 like this.
  15. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not meaning to be condescending, but how in the (hot place opposite of heaven) do you reverse the jumppoints?
    One is the chassis of the car, the other one a bolt under a RED lid with "+"on it...

Since this happens way too often, there must be something I am missing.

dolj likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't figure it out either, but people do it a lot. (n)

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    They can be reversed on the other end too. Too many people really don't understand the process.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And there are usually two people involved, which increases the chance of a screw-up by a factor of four, at least.

R-P and fotomoto like this.
  19. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the same thing, they swore they did not do it, I am thinking the person on the other end may of did it to his car prius was probably hooked up right I assume but that's all it takes is a split second of cross and damage is done. since I am on this is there anybody that can fix these inverters?

Merged

yes I think that's what happen , it takes a split second to do damage.

#19 jtuchol, Mar 17, 2017
    Kevin_Denver likes this.
  20. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My first guess would be that he jumped at the 12v battery its self in the trunk and not from the jump point under hood OR someone touched the jump leads together while still connected to the prius and spiked it.

if your handy with the soldering iron (or have a friend that is) there will more than likely be an open circuit (blown track) in the dc-dc converter, could just patch up the track rather than replace whole inverter.