1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greasecar

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by seanwachob, May 27, 2004.

1. seanwachob

seanwachob New Member

Ran across this page the other day:

http://www.greasecar.com/

It's a conversion kit to allow pretty much any diesel car to run off of vegetable oil (a renewable, zero net CO2, sulpher free fuel for those that haven't heard ;) ). They say it burns pretty clean regarding NOX emissions. Has anyone seen any research on that?

Can't want to for a clean burning diesel version of the prius to come out so I can hook one of these up!

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, I've run my truck, and my tractor on homebrew biodiesel. My primary problem is having the time to process the stuff in quantities that I need.

As for NOx emissions, biodiesel and WVO actually bump that figure up a bit. The added oxygen content in the biodiesel, acutally allow the engine to run a bit hotter - enough so that it was actually causing my tractor to overheat since it doesn't have a water pump to circulate coolant. Without the sulphur that's present in pump fuel though, NOx can be easilly addressed via a catalytic convertor.