1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GREAT.... An oil leak!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by av8erdunn, Nov 30, 2014.

1. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have noticed oil spots under my 06 lately and finally got under it to see where it's coming from. It's collecting and dripping from the bottom motor mount but it's hard to determine exactly where it's coming from. I can't tell if it's coming from higher up or down low and running back and up from the wind. I just cleaned it with degreaser and have it running to hopefully dry it and be able to see where it's coming from. I will post some pics to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Let me know if these pics don't show up.

And another

More

Well it appears to be coming from this hole but I can't say for sure yet as I washed everything really well. Not sure if water got in there and that's residual water that hasn't came out yet. That being said I don't honk that's the case. Is that hole normal? It doesn't look like it would be but can't say for sure.

This is just my luck, I am looking at spending 18-20k to get my boat running again and now this

I just watched a video online and the hole is normal but this may be tranny fluid instead of engine oil. Its hard to tell because both would be dark since I was due for an oil change and the trans fluid is also due.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

#1 av8erdunn, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That looks more like engine oil as the transmission oil is very red in color. As long as you keep an eye on the oil level and top up as required there is no rush to get this fixed. Putting an additive in the oil that softens seals may help the situation, and a drip tray on the floor where the car is normally parked will help stop a large oil stain.
    You do not say how many miles the car has covered? If the millage is high when you decide to tackle the problem a low millage replacement engine might be a good idea since the engine has to be removed to change the seal.

John (Britprius)

3. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The video showed the trans fluid with 30k on it and it was black like engine oil. That's the only reason I said possible trans fluid. The car just rolled over 190k and runs like a top so I definitely wouldn't buy a used engine with an unknown service history to replace this one. Any ideas where it may be coming from since you said the engine has to be removed to replace the seal? I dint know if there were common leak points with these cars.

Also, are there any how to articles around that would help me in fixing it?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Clean it good and leave it idling (get it to inspection mode). It should be clear if oil is leaking from that hole (“clutch”housing drain hole). If it’s then it’s either engine oil from engine rear main seal or transaxle oil from transaxle front oil seal. You should be able to tell what it is by collecting oil from cleaned surface and from dipstick to paper and comparing the two. If its engine oil it’s not that critical (if leak is small) since in the “clutch”housing there’s only torque limiter and dampener. You just need to check that oil level doesn’t drop. If its transaxle fluid its bit harder to check transaxle fluid level. Replacing either one of those seals is same job you have to take transaxle or engine out of car. Easiest way is probably just take them out together and then separate them.

uart likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The third picture shows the oil to be coming from the crankshaft rear oil seal. The oil makes it's way down from there and out of the hole between the two bolts. The oil will also find it's way out through the joint between the engine and transmission if it gets onto the rear of the flywheel and is thrown off as it spins .Although I would not say this is a common fault it is a known fault. The transmission oil is thinner, and even when very dirty is still very red in color. A paper towel will show up the color.
    [​IMG]

John (Britprius)

TonyGB and uart like this.
  6. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is indeed engine oil so it has to be coming from the rear main seal. I'm going to keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't get worse.
    Thanks for the replies.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Opening the transmission fill point and collecting oil on the end of your finger will show how red it is.

John (Britprius)

8. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone written up a how to on the rear main seal? I looked but didn't see anything.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are posts on engine removal after this the torque limiter is removed then the flywheel. The seal can then be hooked out and another fitted. Once this work has been carried out it would be foolish not to replace the transmission seal as this requires no more work for it to be changed. In your case I would try the engine oil additive or a high millage oil to see if the seal will soften. You have nothing to loose.

John (Britprius)

10. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just changed the oil and put in Valvoline max life high mileage oil. Maybe it will help. If not I'm gonna let enough leak mount the add back with the additive.

Thanks for all the help.

11. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was curious to see how much it would cost to replace the seal if the additives will not fix it so I called the local Toyota dealer and inquired. They said it would be about $1175 and some change to install the new gasket. Not too bad but I am still considering doing it my self over the holidays. After all I have 16 days off from work and the only honey do's so far is to put a metal roof on my garage andtear out our jacuzzi in the master bath and convert it to a double walk in shower. Remove the old shower and turn it into a linen ccloset and then I'm done. Might as well add something else. I would hate to have any time off to actually relax and enjoy myself.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, 16 days should be plenty. you'll probably have time left over for some hunting or fishing.:cool: