1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great car..

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ridgerunner57, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ridgerunner57

ridgerunner57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,
    My wife owns a 2005 and loves it. I now own an '08 and am enjoying the mileage and "greeness'. I seem to have a tough time maintaining a constant speed the rolling terrain here, though. I guess I'm not used to the CVT or something. I've owned a bunch of cars from a 1.6 liter Pinto to a '93 RX7 twin turbo and a few pickups mixed in there too, but I've never had this much trouble keeping my speed constant within 2 or 3 mph. I think part of the problem is the smoothness of the drivetrain. I wish it handled a little better, but overall I'm pleased with it. It is a pretty amazing car.

James

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We unconsciously learn a correlation between the sound of engine RPMs and road speed in a conventional transmission car. In a Prius you have to ignore engine sound and just watch the speedo.

3. ridgerunner57

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Richard,
    You are right about that. I'm also used to a more "seat of the pants" feedback from conventional cars. The cvt acts similarly to other types of cvts I've used in other applications such as motorbikes and snowmobiles, but I guess I'm still getting the hang of it.
    What I -have- gotten is mileage consistently between 56 and 59 mpg (MFD) for the 3000 miles I've owned it. And if they get better as they break in, maybe I'll see some in the 60s.

James

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, James.
    When you say that you have a hard time maintaining speed, do you mean that you find yourself decellerating more than you would expect? If that's the case, then it's the regenerative nature of the Prius HSD. If you let off the gas pedal too much - as though to coast - it assumes you want to decelerate and will start regenning energy, yada yada yada, you slow down. So you will need to maintain pressure on the pedal; it's a fine-tuned skill that will take a little while getting used to.

But to show 56 - 59 MPG after 3,000 miles is very impressive. Keep up the good work!

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    give it times. others fluctuate their speeds in traditional cars.. the prius just does it more...

I could only imagine a larger engine.. as some have complained it's hard to keep constant speed in the camry's...

as others have stated at... keep some pressure on the pedal.. there's a huge difference in gliding and coasting (glide is faster, has no drag, and requires the pedal)... but i assume you get that since you're coasting over hills.

go with it.. coast :) hehe

you should try going down really long hills. this car gains major speed.

6. ridgerunner57

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is, I am able to maintain my speed better on a steeper upward grade than I am in gently rolling terrain. I'm thinking I just need to move my foot on the pedal more than I am used to doing. I'll get it eventually.

7. ridgerunner57

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're not kidding! :eek: Power wise, the car has surprised me a couple of times. For whatever reason in traffic I have had to hit the gas quickly and have been impressed at the amount of "scoot" that resulted. I think it knows by how you step on it what needs to happen next. Stepping in the same amount gently yields a different result for me. Kind of neat, actually.

James

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    JAMES!!

in a rolling environment, i would think twice about the importance of a constant speed. use gravity to your advantage (at least half the time!!) increase your speed as much as you can while maintaining a certain MPG... then slowly decelerate when going back up the hill.

your mileage for a newbie is definitely impressive. keep it up!!

9. ridgerunner57

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dave,

I'm with ya, man. My concern is with the plethora of aggressive drivers, many, but not all, in large SUVs who will take their aggression (or fear) out on you if you aren't running steady. I've two other vehicles that I drive occasionally to work at the same speed and I swear I am targeted more in the Prius.

10. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ridgerunner57, congrats on being a 2 Prius family. I know others on here will beg to differ, but I use the cruise control to maintain a steady speed. Does your car have this ?
    My fuel economy is about 51mpg, but on longer trips and with the cruise control on at about 67-68 mph, I can get near to 60mpg.

11. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same situation here--clearly you were able to apply what you had learned by watching your wife drive hers. My hubby is doing quite well for a newbie too because he learned from me.

Of course, some men would never admit that...:rolleyes:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ridge:
    you probably are more targeted. i see it all the time as well. at least once a week, someone will go flying around me just to cut in front of me within ½ a block of a long line of cars sitting at a red light only because i am coasting up at a relatively slow pace.

its amazing how much gas one will waste just to get one car farther up in line especially when two or more lanes are available