1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great fuel economy from new Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by gardar, Dec 10, 2012.

1. gardar

gardar Gary D

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my base model Prius C in late October 2012 and so far have covered just over 2000 kms in it.
    I find the car handles and rides very well, is quiet and very smooth to drive.
    I drive 43 kms to work each day and so far over just 2 tanks of fuel, I am averaging 4.0 litres/100 kms (that's 71 mpg in old terms)
    Some of my journey is on the freeway at 100 kph speeds and there is also a lot of hills to travel over.
    There has been days when I have averaged on my trip to work 3.3 litres/100 kms or 86 mpg.
    This car is great and as it is still very new, I could expect to get even better figures.
    I just love the information on the monitor screen giving you an abundance of information about how you are travelling. I can drive to work for just over $2 each way.
    For the money, this is a great value car. With the 3 yr/100,000 km Toyota warranty which is extended to 175,000 kms through the dealer I bought the car from, as well as 60,000 km of capped servicing of $130 per service every 10,000 km, it certainly makes for econimical motoring. I just love this car.
    I do not see many of them driving around in my area so far. To date, I have only seen 1 more Prius C on my travels. I do not know why there are not a lot more out there as it is a great city commuter car.

JMD likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool. Welcome!

BTW, since most of the users here are in the US, we don't use larger Imperial gallons. Imperial gallons are meaningless to Americans.

4 liters/100 km = 58.8 miles per US gallon
    3.3 liters/100 km = 71.3 miles per US gallon

3. gardar

gardar Gary D

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the US conversion. Still good figures though.

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Welcome to Priuschat! I agree... I still find it surprising there aren't more of them and more to the point that Toyota Australia doesn't seem to be really getting behind them, however some earlier media suggested only 1000 would get shipped to Australia this year and they have already sold well over that, so perhaps they're just selling so far over their initial targets that they're not bothering... I've got no idea. They don't promote them and they don't seem to include them on their special offers.

By the way, I mostly use Google to convert units for our friends on the wrong side - you can key in something like "4.4 l/100km in mpg" and not only does it give you the answer in US gallons, it gives you an interactive field to change figures and get other results. Makes life easy to compare. If you use Fuelly it can handle it all automagically.

I don't change my spelling for anyone though, so it's litre, metre, tyre and colour all the way.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Canada uses Imp. MPG as well as L/100km but most of us use L/100km if not to confuse the Americans with US mpg and minimise confusion.

So here are the quick base line ones that I use (US mpg)

3.9L/100km = 60 mpg
    4.0L/100km = 59mpg
    4.3L/100km = 55mpg
    4.7L/100km = 50mpg
    5.0L/100km = 47mpg
    5.2L/100km = 45mpg
    5.6L/100km = 42mpg
    5.9L/100km = 40mpg

I don't bother to memorise after 5.9L/100km lol.

6. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know when or if the U.S. will use the metric system. It would make things easier for commerce if the U.S. followed the rest of the world on that :).

Rob.au likes this.
  7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Enjoy the summer weather! Winter brings worse fuel economy. :(

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nah, we've already rejected the metric system. Took too much thinking for no good reason.

Welcome to the site and the community!

My best tank so far has been 60.7 MPG. I songwriter see that again until summer.

I suspect it's been stated before, but could you say what weight of oil is suggested for your location?

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What are the popular car manufacturers in Australia? Is Toyota #1?

10. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Yep. In 2012 they notched up a straight decade of being the top brand in annual sales.

1. Toyota - 218,176 vehicles - 19.6% of total new vehicles sold in 2012
    2. Holden (now a subsidiary of GM) - 114,665 - 10.3 %
    3. Mazda - 103,886 - 9.3%

Toyota manufactures three models here for local and export markets - Camry, Camry Hybrid and Aurion. I think everything else they sell here comes from Japan.

2012 was actually a record year of sales in Australia, but there is some talk of European brands in particular dumping excess stock here and dealers registering them to grab heavy factory bonuses even though they don't yet have buyers. The registration causes it to be notched up as a sale.

The Mazda3 was the most popular individual model for the second year running (44,128 units), followed somewhat oddly by the Toyota Hi-Lux (40,646) at #2 and behind that at #3 a long-time Australian favourite, the Toyota Corolla, sold here in both sedan and hatch versions (38,799). The poor classic family car the Holden Commodore - having been #1 for 15 years until ousted by the Mazda3 in 2011 - has slipped to #4.

You can find more complete data here: Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog » Australia Full Year 2012: Mazda3 leads again in record market, no local model on podium for the first time since 1930s!

Unfortunately I've yet to find year-end data for the c.

JMD likes this.