1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great! More Insecure Systems.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Prodigyplace, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The US plans to have requirements that cars talk to each other to avoid accidents.

The timeline looks aggressive and I see no mention of security. If it is not designed in, the system will be insecure.

Feds: Cars must be able to talk to each other

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Airliners have had such a system for years. It's called TCAS Traffic Collision Alerting System. It's able to alert you to nearby traffic and, if predicting a collision it decides on the best course of action. As it also works in the vertical plane (no pun intended) was well as azimuth, a system for cars should be less complicated and cheaper.

3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People are already complaining about the lack of security in the automotive CAN-BUS and wireless systems because they were not designed to be secure.
    The timeline for design & implementation here is too short to design & test for security.
    I remember reading amid all the stories about hacked automotive systems, somebody got a chance to basically audit Tesla. Basically all that automotive data that is sent back traverses a secure, encrypted VPN. I believe there were other layers of security too. They took the time to do things right. Although there were some security holes discovered, they were quickly & automatically patched.
    Researchers Hacked a Model S, But Tesla's Already Released a Patch | WIRED

RCO likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any safe system designed around IT can be breached. All it needs is time, a little know how and the motivation. To be complacent about a system is to bury your head in the sand. :sleep:

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. But with security designed in and a manufacturer who takes security seriously any threat can be seriously lessened.

RCO likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I'm just playing Grandma, but whenever the irresistible force encounters an ........
    These hackers see breaching security as a challenge, fun, a game!
    Possibly worthy of a random payment, etc.

7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is true. Much as some dogs see life as a big playground, many people today see life as a game to be conquered.
    In my work with computer network systems, I need to keep security in mind as I design & configure for the protection of my college student customers and protection of the company I work for.

It is frustrating to see large companies design insecure systems without any liability. I think computer operating systems went downhill due to Microsoft & their lack of liability.
    I remember a few years ago, some UNIX administrators were upset with an OS memory leak that me at they needed to reboot their servers after a year. Most Microsoft systems cannot run nearly that long without issues or major security patching.

8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sympathise. I'm basically amateurish since MS DOS 3.x and following trends thru to Win 3 (when Installation Manager and IT security officer at a small base). Did a short course on systems analysis on UNIX and then reverted to amateur status with all versions of windows to date. Dabbled with Linux and gave up without trying very hard. This old brain got overheated.

Keep up the good work. It's never ending you know? :D

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you want to see an insecure system? just look at the 6 repeat posts on page one of 'new posts'.:rolleyes:

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody did not know what forum or thread to post in, so they picked six.
    Imaging how confused they would be if they were a new Gen 1 user!

bisco and RCO like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    AMEN!

Bob Wilson

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.