1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great News for Canadians!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dzoutzidis, Mar 21, 2007.

1. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

The federal government just tabled a budget that includes a $2000 rebate for the purchase of fuel efficient vehicles and slapped levies as high as $4000 for gas guzzlers. Anybody buying a Prius in Canada will get a $2000 rebate from the federal government. Ontario residents will also get a $2000 rebate from the Ontario government! All of a sudden the Prius isn't just something you buy to be environmentally friendly. It can be something you buy because it's cheaper in the long run!

I currently own a 2006 Prius and my fiance and I are looking for a 2nd car. The Prius is looking more and more attractive right now as our 2nd car.

Has anybody had any issues with having 2 Priuses? Prii? whatever.... Any reason we should get something else?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shouldn't be a problem lol. That's $4,000 off isn't it?

Or you could have the Camry Hybrid so one of each?

3. joedornan

joedornan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Mar 21 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]409538[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the relevant page for the federal rebate:
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environment/e...AUTO-QandAs.htm

And here is the page for the Quebec provincial rebate (also $2000):
    http://www.revenu.gouv.qc.ca/fr/particulie...ule_hybride.asp

It is worth noting that the Prius is sold in Canada for a premium over the prius in the US. If I chose to import a prius from the US, payed my taxes, duties, fees, and permits, etc. even after I take into account exchange rate conversions, the US prius is about $4000CAD cheaper than in Canada.

So in theory the double rebate gets us to the US price level.

-Joe

4. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joedornan @ Mar 21 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]409672[/snapback]</div>
    That's SO TRUE! Man does that tick me off.... I remember the price difference 2 years ago was even bigger I think.. As I recall the US Prius was in the $20000 range and the Canadian one was $30,000ish! WAY past simple exchange rate difference there.... Never quite understood that one... I guess basically they sell it for what they can get, not what it's worth. Maybe they don't have as many relatively for Canadians so they up the price. :angry:

The Camry I think only qualifies for a $1000 federal rebate as it's more of a performance hybrid than a pure fuel efficiency hybrid I suppose. Plus it's kind of out of my price range. See... I'm a poor poor man.... Recent grad, recently engaged, soon to pay for a mortgage and wedding.... SOOOO poor..... :( The Camry looks awesome though.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Camry qualifies for $1,500 and it's not a performance hybrid. It's a 4 cylinder engine with the HSD. The Accord Hybrid, HiHy, RX400h and GS450h can be considered as performance hybrids.

If the Camry is out of your range, then so is the Prius. The TCH is $31,900, the Prius is $31,6xx.

6. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Darn. <_<

I already got my two hybrids for the foreseable future. I missed the Manitoba $2000 when I got my 2007 Prius in November. Had I waited long enough for both cars, I would have gotten $8,000... then again, I could not wait. :lol:

Cheers;

MSantos

7. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 22 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]410455[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... good point... It's $1500? Good deal. The Star says $1000 a few days ago but I think that was fairly preliminary. I think the Camry would qualify fo rthe full $2000 from the ontario govt too. Anybody ever checked out the Camry hybrid btw? The Prius is proven technology for me as I've had one for over a year now which in my mind gives it a slight edge on the Camry but I've always heard good things about the standard Camry so... opinions?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Mar 23 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]411168[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius, HCH and smart qualify for the $2,000 credit. I believe the list is listed in one of the other threads talking about the federal tax credit.

I've test driven the TCH twice. It's using the same system as the Prius but with a higher max voltage (650V vs. 500V). The battery may be more powerful, I'm not sure.

It's definitely smoother and quieter. There's more sound insulation (given that it IS a Camry after all) so you don't hear the engine when the CVT revs it up. Also, the engine shut down is much smoother than the Prius'.

It's spacious and comfortable inside. 3 people can sit abreast in the rear comfortably with plenty of legroom. It doesn't come with the Energy Monitor or Consumption Screen (even with nav.. only the US has it) but the tiny screen in the instrumental panel has its own features like the ECO Drive Level and gives you feedback after each time you turn off the Camry (e.g. EXCELLENT if your drive was very fuel efficient). There are LED rings around the.... FE meter I think that glows blue in increasing brightness if you've exceeded some mpg number (might be 20, 30, 40mpg?)

There is an ECO mode for the A/C system but in my short test drive I couldn't tell the difference. The bluetooth.. I had some problems connecting my phone to the test car. The boot is of a decent size although a lot of people say it's small and some of the taxis here say they prefer the Prius or the regular Camry because the TCH can't fit all the luggage (and you know how people travel... they bring their entire house along).

Braking is average (I had 5 people on board however). Cruising at 130km/h is quiet and serene. My test model was the base model so it had the cloth interior and it was fairly comfortable and seemed durable. I did miss the rear sunshade from our 02 Camry that's not available on the Hybrid.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

9. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

I was wondering about the huge difference in price too. Is the NAV really worth it, it's over 3000 more. I know it comes with a back-up cam too, which I think is cool. It seems like a cash grab, when you can buy that stuff aftermarket for a fraction of the price (I know, it's all integrated, so I guess that's what you're paying for). I think I'm going to wait until the new model comes out, since I've just paid off my current car (2003 Subaru Impreza), and it's has less than 40,000 km on it. We don't drive a lot of kms, but we do almost all city driving, and the Impreza only gets about 14l per 100km in the city, it gets maybe 7.5l per 100km on the highway. Does anyone know if BC has a provincial rebate too? The base model with 4k off is almost as cheap as the Impreza. I know I'd miss the AWD in the snow, but we don't get much snow, and I don't get up to the mountains as much as I used to. Probably a good set of snows would be as good as the AWD with the all seasons. Hopefully they'll still have the rebates (or possibly better rebates) by the time the 2009's come out.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyrus69 @ Apr 21 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]427434[/snapback]</div>
    Don't bother with the nav. I got an aftermarket one which I could "modify" (cause it runs on Linux/Unix) to play movies and games haha.

Yes we get $2,000 for the Prius from the prov. which means you get a total of $4,000 off the total price of the car!! It's a pretty good deal if you ask me since when I bought mine in Sept 04, the BC gov't gave me $7xx. (don't remember the exact figure).

My summer best is 4.2L/100km and winter is usually 5L/100km but it's been below that ever since I blocked the grille so it definitely fits your all city driving. 90% of my total kilometrage is in the city. A few are trips down to the States or out east to Langley on Hwy 1.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well I was at a local Toyota dealer yesterday, and it looks like they want the $2000 going to THEM! That is, comments from the salesman like "With the rebate Prius sales are really picking up." I asked if I could get a little off MSRP. "You can try, but I doubt you will". Before the rebate I was offered a $2000 drop from MSRP without even asking for it.
    I walked away from the dealership yesterday. More incentive to purchase in the US! With our dollar so high now, it's getting to be a savings of over $6000.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... welcome to British Columbia... We've had "fixed pricing" ever since Access Toyota was introduced (even though Access Toyota specifically said it no longer includes haggle-free pricing).

So yeah, we're pretty much stuck with MSRP.

13. DjEZ

DjEZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got the prius 07 in toronto, metallic gray.base model.

for a second car get a civic hybrid , cheaper than prius by 5K.

youll still get 4 k in government rebate.

if not for the lack of space i was going for the civic.

14. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to soil the (so far) all-Canadian thread---but I'd be really upset if I were up there and dealers tried to impinge on my government rebate(s). I've never understood the relatively high Canadian price, either.

FWIW, the wonderfully "green" State of California, led by the newly-minted environmental champion Governator, STILL has no hybrid tax break. I'm moving to Canada (almost did during the Vietnam, er police action-or-whatever).

Good for, er, Conservative-led Canada!

(kinda sticks in my throat, but what the hey)

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DjEZ @ Apr 22 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]427891[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like they're selling a lot more base models now. They used to sell Pkg "B"s, then base models, then Pkg "C"s.

16. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Apr 22 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]427791[/snapback]</div>
    Over here in Winnipeg is almost impossible to get a Prius.

I was planning on selling mine to my company and buying me another... and every dealership I went to has NONE available in their lots. They seem to have a waiting list and they're are asking a ludicrous amount for them. Darn. :angry:

Anyway, I snuck over to the Honda dealership and their Civic Hybrids appear to be under the same pressure. The sales manager at the Honda dealership (a previous acquaintance of mine) told me flatly that the MSRP is no longer a good starting point. He quoted me $27,200 for a new one - and that is because I am a previous customer, otherwise it would be much higher !!!! <_<

Well, since I promised my Prius to the company I guess I may be shooting for another Civic Hybrid. It is a pity because as the weather is getting so much nicer my Prius mileage has been awesome - what a great car. I'll still have to wait a month or so for my new HCH-2 but I am not in a rush. At least this time I'm gonna get $4000 and a nice price for my 07 Prius. A win-win situation. :)

Cheers;

MSantos

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. it's $27,600 here (After PDI I assume).

There are a few base Priuses here. Tell them to ship them from BC haha.

18. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 22 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]428060[/snapback]</div>
    For the HCH's they are asking $2000+ above the MSRP of $26,250. They will not sell much below $28,000. The PDI and other levies are extra !!!

Yeah, the Toyota dealer told me that if necessary they will get any Prius's from where-ever in Canada they can. However, they also have a waiting list and they also continue to favor fleet sales. The Taxi companies keep fattening their Prius fleets and that does not help regular consumers one bit.

That's life.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    holy crap lol. Nah, they're selling at MSRP here.

Well, tell him you know someone who knows there's one on the lot in Vancouver haha. It's a Magnetic Grey base model.

20. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

For $2k, I would get a cheap flight to Vancouver and drive it back. I heard that you can't buy a new vehicle from the US, if you're Canadian, is that still the case? I guess if you could find a lease return, you could get a used one with low kms. I'm going to ask my boss what kind of deal he got on his Camry Hybrid, I heard him complaining about the access Toyota thing, and somehow he was getting them to come down. I know he's had a lot of Toyotas, including a gas guzzling Sequoia, so maybe they cut him a deal. Oh well, I guess I'll be waiting a while anyways, since we just paid off our current car, and I'd like to find out what's in store for us with gen 3 Prius.