1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great Smokey Mountains Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Denny_A, May 15, 2006.

1. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just got back from a stay near the Gatlinburg entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

During our ascent to the top of the mountain, we happened upon an official "Smokies Green Machine" (one of three) parked at a turnout about 1/4 mile fro the crest. Chatted with the husband-wife volunteer team who tended to various and sundry tasks around the park. Both were thrilled to have the use of the Prius. They had nothing but praise for the car and thanks for their luck.

We eventually pulled into the Clingman's Dome parking lot and...... closed for upgrade work. That was our 2nd attempt and 2nd shutout. May 12, 32 deg F at 6000 + ft (parking lot). According to my Prius!

Attached photo of the park vehicle and our Barthelona Roso. Front left fender says "Cleaner Cars, Cleaner Air". Logo just forward of the tail light is "Great Smokey Mountain National Park".

2. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice picture... I like the Smokies a lot, and I have been there several times. Always good for a nice hike. But they could use a lot of priusses over there. It incredible how crowded this can get with cars on some days. There is a loop road (I believe Cade's Cove or something) that gets literally filled with cars, bumper to bumper. Imagine all the pollution because of people just driving around in the park, rather than hiking...

3. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

That's an awesome picture!

I'm in the process of trying to sell my house in Florida, and as soon we do, we're moving to Maryville, TN.
    It's a small town just outside the Great Smokies.

And I will, of course, be bringing my baby: the 2006 Prius!

So I'm doing my part to bring more hybrids to that area! :D

Can't wait to get up there. It's SOOO beautiful there.

4. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 16 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]256276[/snapback]</div>
    We passed thru Maryville Sunday (14th) on our way home to WI. DW and I were impressed. I expected a small, non-descript burgh. Rather, it was very modern, with wide roads, and neat, green neighborhoods. In fact, we have contemplated relocating to TN (5th best wealth preservation state for retirees). Maryville, we both concurred, may be worth further review!

Looks like you chose well! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ May 16 2006, 04:32 AM) [snapback]256143[/snapback]</div>
    Cades Cove is several miles West of Gatlinburg. It's an 11 mile loop of a preserved 1800's settlement. Very interesting....but, as you say, can be a traffic nightmare. Folks with not a lot of spacial awareness tend to stop on the narrow roads and gawk, whilst traffic backs up like Chicago freeways during rush hour.