1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

green architect

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by geologyrox, Nov 21, 2005.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

My husband and I are (finally!) looking at being able to build our dream home. We have many ideas (and a few requirements) but we want this home to be as ecologically friendly as it can be.

We want an interior courtyard (must be completely enclosed by metal screen, and pretty big) and a large garage. we want two master suites, and if we have two floors, at least one of them needs to be on the ground floor. we need to either build in enough roof to hold all our PV cells, or need to learn about ground mounted systems. we want it to be built as efficiently as possible. we will likely have a natural gas or propane tank to power a backup generator and our stove. we may or may not be connected to 'the grid.' we will likely be on well water, and need a top notch water conditioning system. we anticipate building in florida, so we need VERY efficient cooling - because not cooling is not really an option.

i really don't know what we need - a building firm that has architect(s) on staff would be ideal. we have hundreds of questions, and they aren't all really meant for the architect, but need to be at least discussed early on. anyone been there and have advice to offer?

btw, we have plenty of time - we don't even have land picked out. business is just going better than we expected, and it's time for us to take a step in the right direction

^---- likely to be crossposted all over the place =) Thanks so much!

2. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I think the first thing you need to to is find the location/land first. This will greatly determine what structure will be built there, facing a certain direction, contracters nearby....etc.

the only reason I wrote is because in Central Florida in the last year and a half, land prices have tripled and have been pretty much bought up. Once you got the land, finding the builder to make the home environmentally friendly is easy.

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know if you find anything interesting for the A/C. I live in Southern Florida, and asked about a geothermal heatpump when we were building, but the water down here is ~70 degrees, so not much good for geothermal A/C. I have alot of the other stuff figured out, and keep adding more "green" pieces as time goes by, but A/C has been a sticky point. My primary goal is to have power and water for emergencies, especially with 3 major hurricanes hitting me in 14 months. Total, we've been without electricity for 23 days, and the solar PV system I have, although small, really helped out. My next venture is adding a solar hot water heating system, as cold showers were a pain. :D I use the PV for 24 volt power to an auxilary 24 volt water pump, so we were never short of fresh water. I'm saving most of my spending for 1/1/06, as the new, 30% Federal incentives kick in then.

4. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

well, we have a location kind of picked out - we are looking in NW St. Johns County. We have a certain 'type' of house in mind regardless of where we build, and we will only buy property if we can then build for that nice southern view of the sun. we need an architect before we buy the land because it may be we are estimating the house cost badly - which would change how much we can be looking for land-wise.

on the topic of the 30%, we will be putting in our solar water heater come the first of the year too! happy new year to us =) we are actually hoping that the federal government will help subsidize the next houses' PV as well, since we run a business out of our home. heres to hoping we don't get knocked with that 3k cap

AC is rough - we were also discouraged from geothermal cooling because of the tiny temperature differential. We may still look into it if we go any farther north. the only other 'real' suggestion anyone has had is to build into a hill, and keep some good sized portion of the house in the ground. whilst we don't have that many hills around here, and the water table rests just below our feet, we will look into the possibility of having a very large artificial pond dug for us, with the dirt being selectively placed for us. not sure how feasible it will be, but it's yet another goose to chase

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Check out this site: www.enerjazz.com
    Click on "Westbrook House"

If you have any questions, send a Private Message to EnerJazz here on Priuschat. Paul is a Prius owner, an advocate for energy efficiency, and a seemingly great guy. One thing for certain, he knows his stuff.

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not an architect, so feel free to ignore my suggestions. My brother in law IS an architect, and I'm always asking him theoretical questions. Our discussions often involve my seemingly crazy idea that a building should create energy rather than destroy it. This shouldn't be as much of a problem where you live. Once you've used all the passive solar ideas, like shade; locating windows to catch the winter sun, but not the summer sun; using a big rock wall on the south side, check out something called solar refrigeration. A creative architect should also be able to devise a system that takes advantage of night's cooler temperatures to cool the house at night, and keep it relatively closed up during the day, so as not to let it get too hot in the first place.

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i thought i'd reply to my thread here with a little info i found - i got a reply from the author of one of the many books i was reading on earth sheltered homes. he told me that if i was serious about digging myself an artificial pond, i could use that fill dirt to build up a dune wall for an earth sheltered 'dune home' - and i would have a lot more flexibility in picking the ideal position for solar purposes. something *else* to consider =)