1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Architecture Information

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DC Fat Cat, Jun 16, 2004.

1. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

I've been thinking more and more over the last few years about how truly F'd our whole planet is. Not just environmentaly which should be obvious to anyone, but the way we look at our energy use and the economics behind it.

I'm glad to see Peak Oil is starting to get some attention in the mainstream media. I bought my Prius almost entirely based on that and the emissions rating. I really wished they offered a diesel hybrid.

Pretty soon I'd like to build my own home.

I want to be as energy self suffcient as possible and incorporate a large wind turbine and solar cells for energy production and some sort of system for energy storage. Hopefully I can be a net energy producer a majority of the time.

I'm sure there are so many other technologies both new and old out there that I need to learn about. I was hoping some of you can give me some good links and maybe book recommendations. Of course any first hand experience would be great!

Thanks.

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Green building info

We lived in DC for 13 years and were very happy to finally move out of the congestion and pollution. DC would certainly be greatly improved if everyone drove Prius.

My partners and I are in the process of building a 82 home "healthy housing" community in Vero Beach, Florida. Our homes are being designed to have reasonably minimal impact on the environment but just as important minimal impact on the people that live in them. We're using some innovative methods to dramatically reduce cooling cost but are not integrating solar other than for water heating.

One of the better resources for gaining knowledge about green building is the book "Green Development" by the Rocky Mountain Institute and published by Wiley. Another source for green materials and technologies is the Environmental Building News newsletter @ www.buildinggreen.com.

For a more personal and homey view of green building subscribe to Natural Home magazine. Info @ www.naturalhomemagazine.com.

I wish you great success in actually accomplishing designing and building a green, energy self-sufficient home. The important thing is to build something green now. Don't put it off to wait for the next greatest innovation. Don't put it off because you can only do 80% of what you want. The Prius is a great improvement in the automotive world but its still just a step in the right direction. Take your step now. Sermon over.

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Try this: http://www.buildingscience.com/
    This is a good jumping off place for learning about sustainable and durable approaches to building in different climates. These guys are at the top of the heap and are also connected to all the greatest minds worldwide in the search for better ways of building all types of buildings and preserving and improving the existing ones. I have personally developed a superior system for building in hot humid climates from things I've learned from these and other building science geeks and gurus. Our climate here in Texas can be quite hostile at times but I am able to maintain a very comfortable environment in a 4000 sq ft home for an average of 120 dollars a month. I achieved these energy savings with no additional up front costs The house includes many luxury features, such as hot water circulation and rain head shower, commercial kitchen and fresh air mechanical ventilation. Some of these features do contribute substantial energy use but the overall package manages energy use quite well. This home is not green in the sense of it's size and I apologise for that. I do use strictly rain water and I'm researching solar panels to come on line prior to peak oil. I commute 60+ miles round trip but we carpool and someday we'll charge an electric car from our solar panels. My approach is similar to the prius; use technology to maintain a compromise free lifestyle while minimizing impact on the planet. I again apologize for using more than my share.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

David (et. al.)

Have already taken that step (sort of). My wife and I have been building a strawbale house for the past 5 years (yes it is taking us a while) We are doing almost all of our own work. Wall insulation value R60+ Slab on Grade with R15 rigid foam underneath. Hopefully R100+ in the ceilings. Passive Solar with lots of thermal mass. Has been a fun, if long weekend project. Keep telling everyone " Like I told you 3 years ago, We'll be done in 2 years!!"

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I suggest you look into the question of whether earth-sheltered and super insulated make sense in your climate.

6. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

David and Ray: thanks for the links I bookmarked them and scanned through them and they all seem to have a wealth of information for someone to get started with.

jchu: Keep at it man!! I read a little about that type of construction yesterday at Borders.

Kenmce: I'm not sure about location yet. My wife and I both want to own a sailboat so being close to the ocean seems to be a prerequisite. I'm thinking either upper panhandle of western FL or maybe southern CA. (good solar all year) Although Oregon and Washington are distinct possibilities also. (good wind all year on the ocean)

I need to consult some wind and solar index maps of the US. I believe that a decent size wind turbine will produce much more energy than a solar system so good constant wind will most likely be a priority over solar.

With all the doom and gloom over Peak Oil and the impending energy crisis I'd rather not be somewhere where winter heating is required for survival. I hate the heat but it won't kill me.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what you're apologizing for Ray. What you've done with your home is quite commendable. As to owning a 4000 square foot house, that is your perrogative, and nobody else's right to judge. Owning a large home is not wasteful, especially with the efforts you've undertaken to minimize your energy consumption.

I've been busy with my place as well. I have acreage, and enjoy having the neighbours pushed away from me a bit.

My house used to have a brown shingle roof. When I replaced it, I went with white. It needed new siding, so I selected a light colour that would be reflective of heat. New windows went in yesterday, and they have all the latest Low E coatings, argon gas filled, etc. All light fixtures in my home were changed out to CF bulbs instead of incandescent. One of my remaining projects is to have all of the remaining attic insulation stripped out, the attic vacuumed (to get rid of the previous owners rodent takeover remnants), and all new insulation installed. I'll have to pay someone for this job, as I get too claustrophobic up there.

Unfortunately for me, my sensitivity to the humid heat down here demands very heavy A/C use as the place needs to be pulled down to around 66 degrees at night if I'm to not sleep in a pool of sweat. I still have the thermostat programmed to cut off the A/C altogether when I'm gone, and maintain the highest tolerable temps possible when I'm awake and home. The A/C use though does take it's toll on power consumption. My bills are on par with your's, despite having only 1600 sq. ft.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Our monthly power bill is closer to $200 and we struggle to be able to keep it at 78 in the house.

Hot hot hot...

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Green restoration of a 1907 home

My partner and I bought a 1907 house in 1998, and had a major remodel done on it. The plumbing and wiring were circa the 1930s, and badly needed to be replaced, and we decided to take it down to the studs.

Our three main goals were:
    • To repair and restore the house, with the intent of living it in for many years.
    • To preserve the house's original style, charm and architecture.
    • To use "green" processes, technology and materials as much as possible.

• For the most part, I think, we were able to meet all three of these goals. There were places where we had to compromise one goal for another; but not frequently, and most of these weren't significant.

Here's a short list of some of the things we did:
        • . The house was (and is) wood siding with wood floors and stairs, etc. We refinished and restored the existing floors when possible. But any new wood that was added was from certified renewable suppliers, i.e., wood sources that don't clear-cut, and are planting new trees where they harvest grown trees.
        • Use recycled materials. One example is the thick-old fashioned linoleum we used for much of the basement (it's called marmoleum); it's made from recycled plastic and linoleum products. (Bouncy and really fun to walk on barefooted.) Also tile: all of our tile was made from recycled glass. Much of it looks like normal tile, but we also used some that's made from melted-down bottles of different colors. The latter isn't to everyone's taste, but we like it a lot.
        • Heat and water savings. Besides doing lots of insulation (though not super-insulation), we also used a device that extracts heat from waste water (i.e., hot water going down the drain) and uses it to heat the hot water going up the hot water pipes. Also have a radio-controlled pump that starts the hot water circulating through the hot water pipes. This saves the water that you would normally waste after turning on the hot water at the sink, and then waiting for the water to become warm.
        • Also, instead of having a separate hot water heater and a gas heater for forced-air heating, we have a gas-powered boiler. This heats hot water for the house, but it also heats a metal coil that is placed in the forced air ducts, and heats the air. Economical, less chance of gas leak (no heating plate to crack over time) and also apparently mechanically simpler and more reliable long-term (we'll see.)

• Also, here's a few green methods we decided not to do:
            • Didn't replace the glass in the windows with double-pane glass. We like the old-fashioned "wavy" look of the old glass; but, you lose more heat through the old glass. To alleviate this, we used windows shades that have a "honeycomb" construction; when lowered, they makes air pockets which hold in heat, thus insulating the windows some.
            • Use non-oil based "green" paints for the interior painting. These release less toxic fumes during the painting process, and are safer to dispose of. However, our general contractor and painters agreed that (in general) they didn't last as long, or hold up as well, as the oil-based paints.
            • We have a gas range. We like to cook over a gas range; but in a well-insulated or super-insulated home (we have the former), there's more of a potential problem with gas buildup, even with a good ventilation fan. We went with the ventilation fan (which is always on when we're cooking), and an electric oven (dual-fuel.)

• I should add: when I say "we", it's the "royal we". My partner and I hired people (a really wonderful general contractor -- we have no horror stories) to do the work, as we are not fix-it folks.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So Cal, near the ocean?? Good thing you are a Fat Cat :) Without regard to the heft of your wallet, the wind turbine will likely limit your location anywhere. Lots of people don't want a 200' wind tower anywhere they can see it.

Maybe you should try Hawaii, with Jan lows mid 60s and Aug highs low 80's open a window to let in the breeze and you don't need heat or air. My sister lived there for 2 years and their condo had neither.

Other than that, do consider that the basement is cooler in the summer and easier to heat in the winter. I keep wondering why all the houses have the bedrooms on the top floor instead of down low. The bedroom on the west side of our house gets really hot in the summer, hotter than the outside temp, on sunny days and in the winter needs more heat. R50 ceilings, R18 walls, double pane, low E, argon filled windows.

I think building into a hillside would reduce heating and cooling costs considerably. The ground is a great insulator/heat sink. Those Hobbits have something there! I'm sure finding the right site will be a challange though.

11. jchu

jchu New Member

Bookrats,

I am still working on the strawbale house plumbing. (In Idaho as long as you follow code and pass inspection, no contractor is required) We plann to put in a hot water recirculator to warm the pipes before stepping into the shower etc. Have a pump already but the radio controlled aspect is new to me. Can you tell me more / point me in the right direction.

Jon

12. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

I'm enjoying hearing about real world decisions you guys are making when it comes to deciding what to do or not do. I'd like to add to the conversation but I have 0 experience....

bruceha_2000: Hawaii is out of the question. I want to build a house to live in for the rest of my life if possible. If even half of what I have read about Peak Oil comes to pass Hawaii will have some rough economic adjustments in the future since they rely so heavily on imports and tourism.

I think right now Oregon seems to be the most likely candidate. Hopefully I won't have to have a 200' tower for a turbine, something more like 100'. But either way I'll have to be secluded enough to not have any zoning issues.

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

14. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just checking. Are you finished with the house yet? It has been four years since you wrote this, so I gave you double of your suggested 2 years. We've been in our strawbale house five years and are loving it, almost as much as we love our Prius!

PA P

15. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The following link is to a solar/RE forum, populated by some very smart people who have done all kinds of things in the Solar and RE/Green building world. That forum runs much like this one, but is much more focused. Lots of tried and tested ideas for conservation, PV solar, Solar hot water, hydronic heating etc.

Solar Electric Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Icarus