1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green bars on battery display after 20 minutes of driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrea L Chase, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Andrea L Chase

Andrea L Chase New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I have a 2006 Prius, 41,000 miles. I've noticed that my battery display goes from blue to green after about 20 minutes of driving here in San Francisco. It may have always done that (I'm the original owner), but I'm just seeing it now. Is it something to worry about?

Chimi1 likes this.
  2. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No. It’s fine. Congrats on having such a low mileage car!

Chimi1 and PriusCamper like this.
  3. Andrea L Chase

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for easing my mind! It's a sweet car and I'm hoping to get to 20 years/60K with it!

Chimi1 and bisco like this.
  4. Judith L Woodall

Judith L Woodall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had that problem with green bars when my 12V battery was going bad. The ICE (internal combustion engine) had to run to keep the 12V charged when the lights and heater were on. I got a new 12V and everything was happy after that.

Chimi1 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I see green bars in my gen 2 not very often and you shouldn't be .anytime the car in use the battery is cycling. In use it shouldn't be full ever . Batteries currently need to charge and discharge or cycle . Part of the issue with batteries. I'm thinking in my 09 i might see three times a week that's near a 1000 miles too every week . Display is always in that mode too almost never change it . Even my original hybrid batt died at 20 yrs it would be going blue to green sometimes daily or more and it was trashed been 5 months now

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These are very reasonable expectations and I'd be shocked if your did not successfully get to 20 yrs and 60k. Be aware of things you notice, but don't worry or chase things unnecessarily.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My experience with daily commute (40 miles each way- 1/2 local- state highway and 1/2 interstate) on a 2006 with 185k is that the car "likes" to keep things at 5-7 bars.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to get full green bars all the time in my gen2's under certain circumstances.

if you see the battery icon fluctuating rapidly from hight to low, that means the battery is waning and not holding much charge.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this happening on routes which have long downhill sections or a net elevation loss? It happens on my car pretty much every time I drive a certain route which has only about a 100 meters drop from the beginning to the end over 7 miles. The car seems to be making some "flat route" assumptions when charging/discharging which are not met on slanted paths. Consequently it slightly overcharges going downhill and undercharges going uphill. It isn't a problem, other than perhaps reducing the available regenerative braking. The last time I drove down the grapevine (I5 North of Los Angeles) the transmission was in braking mode and the headlights and radio were on to try to dissipate some of the stored energy. Even so, the display was all bars lit and solid green only part way down. Of course, that is a huge drop in elevation, and that energy has to go somewhere.

11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    also turn on A/C?

12. Andrea L Chase

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just replaced the 12v last year. I drive downhill a lot, though

13. Andrea L Chase

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is hilly where I am! It isn't solid green, there's still a space at the top. I'm not running a\c or headlights. I'm also only driving about 20 miles a week.

14. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just don't worry! ;-) Also be happy your car is worth a lot more than you paid for it!!

15. Andrea L Chase

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :)!!!!!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the car uses engine braking to burn off excess charge going down long hills. it won'tovercharge the battery

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They're should always be that white space it do not fill . One line white at top always i foti think it can fill with color.

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There is a guy that just rode an article about this very subject was in an online publication like in the last 2 weeks I think he used to work here on this list and he's some sort of a hybrid self-proclaimed expert if you will and he just wrote an article about this very exact green bar meter in the gym too I just read it i'll try and find it and post it course probably no point in it because it'll just start a major something i'm sure but nonetheless it was published i'll try and find it and it was in a major kind of a publication if you will and it was a few pages

19. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your the original owner on a 16 year old car and have only put 41k miles on it, you must not drive much, short trips and the chilly hills of SF. In such environments I would expect the car to get green bars routinely given the engine running and routinely down hill episodes.

20. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please put something in your posts to separate the sentences. PLEASE.
    If you are allergic to punctuation, then please do a new line to make it easier to read.

While I understand that it is not the same car, the hybrid battery meter in both my C's has varied all over the place........from almost empty to totally "full", depending on the driving conditions.

And I'm pretty sure that the meter is calibrated so that "full" is 80% and "empty" is 20% because those are the design limits.

JahT likes this.
  21. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But if you're looking at that hybrid battery monitor a lot like some folks tend to do how often in a week of driving do you see green on that meter I spend a thousand miles a week approximately in a gen 2 every week 52 weeks out of the year almost religiously and I can tell you that it's about every two or three days and for about 18 minutes that was in my 09 with my 18-year-old battery which made it to 20 years and was just replaced about 120 days ago at the end of the first battery's life I would see it go from blue to green and back to magenta very rapidly within 18 minutes 20 minutes sometimes faster I knew the hybrid battery was going bad I replaced the hybrid battery now like you say it stays seven or five to seven bars blue rarely do I see green and i'm on that screen all the time i'm getting around 45.5 miles to the gallon no matter what the car is doing what's in the car etc this is with the new battery

22. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost, at least for the Gen 2. The meter is calibrated so that "full" is 80% and "empty" is 40% +/- a couple of percent at either end.