1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Bean Battery Warranty Grief

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Dec 19, 2023.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone have experience dealing with Green Bean battery and their lifetime warranty transfer? I was told if it was not initiated within 7 days from purchase, they would not honor it.

Nowhere in the documentation they gave to the purchaser did it mention the 7 days.

I contacted them two days after I titled the vehicle in NJ. NJ makes you schedule all paperwork since covid.

Anyone have success making them honor the warranty transfer when you are slightly beyond those 7 days?

I have legal services through work that I can utilize, but it makes me sick that companies use loopholes to get out of honoring warranties.

#1 Frontporch, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Warranty Terms | Lifetime Upgrade | Green Bean Battery

^ I see nothing relevant on this page. Specifically, no mention of "7 days", "seven days" or "week", for example.

Considering the best you can hope for is another rebuilt battery, after a lot of hassle, I'd weigh the pros and cons of even bothering with the crumb bums.

Frontporch likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like GreenBean is rapidly losing market share to GreenTech and Hybrid2Go who are offering free installation and a much more limited warranty.

In working with Project Lithium I can assure you that warranty repair costs are always an existential threat to the business and the warranty created in the past are constantly being studied tand slightly modified to make the costs of them more manageable, while still trying to be fair/generous to people with warranty claims.

On the other side of it... If you send Green Bean a link to your post here and ask them to reply, they'll likely be eager to make an exception so they don't lose prospective customers who may see this thread.

Prius Rising and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies. I agree that warranty=cost and it’s something companies try to avoid. I will see what their reply is to my email is and share here. Hopefully they don’t want forums like this to reflect negatively on customer service when there are lots of low cost battery swappers out there. If you can’t manage customer relationships how do you justify the premium price and it makes me a little apprehensive about an actual warranty claim

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some companies get so big they don't care about reputation management... But small companies live and die by people's opinions on social media.

Frontporch likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So true. We have an LG microwave. I'll spare you the details, but discovered one obvious bug in the programming, and some weird anomolies. Emailed them about it. NEVER heard back.

Frontporch likes this.
  7. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Personal opinion only, the typical battery rebuild company has so many "outs" written into their warranties it's practically useless to try to make a claim unless the battery fails relatively soon after installation.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... Most appliances fail from a bad capacitor and they'd rather force you into buying a whole new machine rather than giving you the inexpensive part you need and the instructions about how to repair it.

Prius Rising and Frontporch like this.
  10. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it is mentioned online under that online document. Makes the conditions easy to change at any moment by editing a website. My issue is the purchase came with a 3 page writeup and not a word mentioned there. Only thing mentioned was a lifetime warranty and all of the exclusions.

So I don't disagree with this. There are LOTS of exclusions in the three pages I have from the buyer and to some extent it is fair. They don't cover any transfer of the battery, breaking open the case, long periods of inactivity...

I will wait for a response from GBB and hopefully share some good news.

Chances are that this Prius, with 260K miles and a battery installed in 2020 will have the battery outlast the vehicle, so the warranty won't matter much. Its more peace of mind and also might also help if there are issues far from home... but actual warranty work I expect takes time.

I had two other Prius with Dorman remanufactured traction batteries. Both were 2007 and the battery was installed in 2015. One I sold in 2022 with a working battery and the other had one bad cell that I replaced in 2022 and it survived another 20K miles until the car was sold. I expect that this battery might still be functional until 2027.

#10 Frontporch, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  11. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like my discussions with Green Bean Battery has come to an end. Its not one I am happy with.

After my initial call, where I disclosed the purchase date was 9 days prior, I was sent a warranty transfer application. It asked for, among other things.
    A bill of sale ( I have a notorized one from PA)
    The seller's registration (why would I have that? I wouldn't provide that to a buyer or any other personal information)

They were unwavering on their 7 day rule, expressing the issues with paper trails. I told them I am still in contact with the buyer, but policy is policy.

I let them know about this thread. They didn't seem to be too concerned.

So the outcome is this. No exceptions. The warranty ends.

If you are considering Green Been Battery I cannot recommend them. I feel like they used a loophole to invalidate a warranty that the original purchaser paid for and was expressed as something that added value to the vehicle.

If I were to be in need of battery services, I would consider using a local service that comes by for half the cost and puts in a replacement battery with a 6 month warranty. I think some of these guys may even work out of their basement, but if they follow some common sense rules, anyone can recondition batteries. It helps to understand how the process works and ask them what they do. It should be more than replacing individual cells that clearly are bad.

My final suggestion is to decide on your own how much you value the services provided by a company like this. On the upside they were responsive and answered the phone and had online chat. I wasn't routed to some overseas answering service.

On the downside, screw them and their 7 day rule. Also, and even more annoying, why send me an application when you are going to deny my transfer in the first place? And when I send a message that I will share here later with a list of concerns to be escalated, why send me yet another link to the application. F'ers. Was I being taunted? I will never ever ever do business with them. Make your own decisions but be informed as you can.

#11 Frontporch, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Frankly, I don’t buy or recommend used batteries. Reconditioning is the “sealer” of the Prius battery business. I don’t even believe “reconditioning” of worn out cells is more than a short term gimmick, great for flippers, bad for reliability.

Most of the owners of companies like Greenbean went with transferrable lifetime warranties as a marketing ploy and expected the failure rates to be small and the sales volumes to be ever increasing. Both management decisions have proven to be poor except for Dorman’s sales strategy with a diversified product line and wide distribution through auto supplies.

I would rather have a solid 8-10 years of proven reliability with new Toyota modules, sometimes sold with a profit margin for $1600 or $2300 installed.

Prius Rising and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  13. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My email response to GBB that was sent to plead my case

Hello

I wanted to voice my concerns with the warranty transfer program. I bought this vehicle from the purchaser of the green bean battery and it was sold to me with a transferable lifetime warranty. The car was driven to NJ and titled there on 12/16/23. I called about the transfer on 12/19/2023

On a subsequent call today I learned for the first time that the warranty transfer had to start within 7 days of the original purchase date. That was the prior Saturday 12/09/2023

I know I will be told that the warranty can no longer be transferred based on some information online. The original documentation provided by the seller and provided to me never mentions anything about a time limit or the existence of one

It leaves a sour taste in my mouth that a company can put these limitations on the transfer and I am asking for this transfer to be honored. I will be in touch with my workplace provided legal counsel to understand what rights I have in this situation and I may choose to share my experiences, good or bad, with various forums online that I frequent. I had no prior issues with green bean battery and considered it to be a premium product

Please let me know how we might move forward

Thank you

Prius Rising likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if the state ag's office could be of any help

15. Goodcitizen

Goodcitizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're not the first person to get burned by this warranty transfer timeline. It's been in existence for at least 3 years. I was aware of it when i bought a battery from them in 2020. Waste of money, honestly. After having 2 replacements, each dying around the 1 year mark, i jumped ship to project lithium. Now that new toyota oem is $1700ish in so cal I wouldn't choose any other option. Msrp is $1950 for gen2 oem. Some shops have it for less.

Merkey and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  16. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The problem is that most people don't do their research when buying used cars especially from private sellers and then blame the company when they realized that they're in a pickle. The lifetime warranty is just a gimmick for the high failure rate that's been going on now. I have greenbean on my 07 Camry Hybrid and I experienced no issues within the 5yr warranty period (6 yrs now) I think the reconditioning process is not to be relied on due to the fact that those battery modules are on its end of life. It's still a good option to have it since the replacement process is just less than an hour (assuming the problem is just the HV battery)

Couple months ago, I saw a posting on Facebook marketplace for a 07 Prius with 270k miles for $1500. Took a look at it and it has failed modules and it has Greenbean on it, was installed on 2021. I ask the seller if she has the original documents for the warranty and didn't have one (it's only 2yrs old and it should have a warranty) It turns out she bought it from another seller (the title is open) drove it unregistered without license plates for a year. It has lot of issues and worst of all she forgot to return the oil cap while we were test driving it. Kind of a mess when I checked the engine after the test drive, I offered a lowball of $800 but I have no plans on really buying it. ABS codes are present (and they are not the sensors, it's the expensive one, also p0420) The original seller probably wasn't able to get a warranty on the battery because of the other issues present on the car and then just sold it. The buyer realized that he got a lemon and decided to just not register it and just drive it around when needed and finally decided to just sell it because it will just rot.

17. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to take this comment a little personally and let you know that I do more research than I probably should. I know your example is of someone who bought a car without really understanding anything about it. I understand the car, just as I know you do. I see that you have lots of posts here and provide good advice.

My problem with this whole situation is that companies provide warranties at their convenience, sell them as one thing and then don't really support that. There was really no loss in the chain of custody of this warranty. It didn't change hands multiple times. I know you see the companies side in this, and I understand.

I guess I could have been focused on getting in touch immediately with this company but I chose to take the time to make sure that this car had the needed repairs ASAP to make sure it got on the road the week later.

What they should do is limit the warranty, giving you an option to get another 3 to 5 years at a discount for a refreshed battery pack. Nobody expects this to last 10 years.

On another note, I do appreciate the comments about buying new. There is nothing better than new. But also realize that some of these cars have a value that isn't much more than the cost of the pack and, even though these cars are reliable, there are other failures. If I do one day own a pristine 2nd gen with 150K miles or less, I will open my wallet also for a new pack.... although now that I think about it, I could just install a strap and move it to the next Prius. I seem to be a prisoner of these cars anyway.

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While your situation did not spur change, similar problems (eg large expenses) and acquisition by LKQ in 2021 forced them to change to non-transferable warranties with lots of exclusions and sometimes costly requirements even to the original purchaser. Their standard three year warranty has to be upgraded for ~$300 more for a non-transferrable lifetime warranty.

Overall it is capitalism as it currently exists with few consumer protections and plenty of legal outs. Buyer beware means more today than it did twenty years ago.

Full warranty provisions today
    Warranty Terms | Lifetime Upgrade | Green Bean Battery

#18 rjparker, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  19. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unfortunately warranties in general are hit or miss. They are usually honored the first time if the cost is reasonably low compared with the price paid for the product/service. After that they are very innovative to make excuses.

Out of 100 warranty claims, I doubt that even one replaced a third time an HV battery or any other expensive repair/ replacement. They become defensive very quickly after a couple of claims.

20. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That might be true, but we had two GE microwaves (of different sizes) fail in about a year each with bad control boards. I don't recall any easily serviced capacitors on either one and the two boards were not identical. I don't have the equipment to fix surface mounted components, and if there were any caps on them, that's what they were. Since it was impossible to buy a replacement board in either case we went with an LG instead for the next one, and it has been working for a couple of years now, hopefully for much longer. The LG cooks well, but too bad it has an awkward user interface and makes sounds like a kid's Japanese video game.

Too bad about the GE's as the unit before that was also a GE, and it worked for around 25 years.