1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Green Car, Blue Highways

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 2, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: http://wardsauto.com/2017-car-management-briefing-seminars/green-car-blue-highways

It’s about 240 miles (386 km) from our suburban Detroit offices to the site of the annual Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars here, and our vehicle of choice, the Chevrolet Bolt EV, has an EPA-official range of 238 miles (383 km).

We could have said “impossible” and walked away from this endeavor, but we like challenges – especially ones that involve long road trips and unique vehicles. So we booked the car, and like a new owner facing the prospect of taking the first extended drive in our all-electric car, we started doing our homework.

It’s important to understand the Bolt EV’s 238-mile range is based on an EPA cycle that includes a mix of city and highway driving, with the highway miles at 5- to 10-mph (8-16 km/h) below the typical freeway limit. We calculate no matter how efficiently we drive, we’ll have to build in a recharging stop somewhere along the way.
    . . .

I checked PlugShare and found the two high speed DC chargers mentioned in the article. I was curious about compare and contrast so I looked at Super Charger vs CCS (high-speed DC charger.) In this case, the Super Charger exists only in Ann Arbor and nothing along the way from Detroit. So 300 mile, Model 3 would have made the trip easily.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl likes this.