1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green cities

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Aug 9, 2006.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For all the talk of how harmful the Kyoto Protocol would be to the US economy, I wonder how the US Mayors Climate Agreement is effecting local economies? These mayors have enacted an agreement to green up their cities due to the inactivity at the federal level. Chicago is tremendously green and I don't see any deterioration to our economy resulting from this. Daley has installed green roofs, enacted a "lights out" policy in the city to put an end to a significant death rate of migratory birds, installed bike paths, planted more than 400,000 trees, requires 100% recycled aggregate for streets (starting in 2006), is (or has) installed wind turbines and solar panels, has 22 city buildings registered for LEED certification, has completed energy retrofits and will enact lighting retrofits etc. etc. etc. Maybe if we look at these local models, you can witness how greening a city or a country can be done without harm to the respective economy.

http://eagle2.american.edu/~ll1543a/usmcpa/Index.htm

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    San Diego isn't doing enough. Sure isn't doing as much as it could.

But....the School District has installed photovoltaic panels on all of the schools. They are either up and running now or will soon be installed. Kyocera has a "solar grove" over their parking lot. (I think this is a model for the recharging of future EVs).

We could do a lot more. But we're bogged down in politics, the pension plan quagmire, and audit and other manure.

I'm sure when Donna Frye becomes Mayor more will be done. In the meantime the developers still own City Hall.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 9 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]300303[/snapback]</div>
    San Diego probably cant afford to do anymore than they are now. after their employee pension plan scandal, they are a hurting unit.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 9 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]300312[/snapback]</div>
    There are things that can be done that cost little or nothing.

They could at least agree and say they'll impliment as they can.

If we're supposed to ignore everything until the pension fiasco is settled, this city will be stagnant for decades.