1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Pass Question, please help me sort this out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joeuser, May 11, 2009.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just applied for an EZ-Pass for my 2009 Prius I purchased last month. And I just can't get enough of this car.

Anyhow, I recently read up on the discounting plan (Green Pass) which saves you more money in comparison with the normal EZ-Pass. However, there's two flavors and I'm not sure if one of them supercedes the other.

1. NYS Thruway Authority Green Pass: Saves me 10% on all Thruway facilities.
    2. Port Authority of NY/NJ Green Pass: Saves me 50% on off-peak travels on the Port Authority Bridges and Tunnels.

My travel, will almost never be long-distance travel. At most, I will go out to New Jersey via the Holland/Lincoln Tunnel over the weekend. However, if I opt for the Port Authority issues GreenPass, I'm forcing myself in to traveling to my cousin's place during the off-peak times.

So I just wanted to know if:
    1. The NYS Thruway GP offers 10% on all EZ-Pass installations around NY and NJ (including Lincoln/Holland Tunnels)? I'm not getting a straight answer from the EZ-Pass customer service folks either.
    2. Does it make sense to apply for both of these passes (obviously through different EZ-Pass accounts)?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Joe

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have one green tag that has both Thruway and PA "linked" (supposedly). I have not driven in the Thruway to confirm the 10% discount. I am getting the half price off peak in PA tunnels.

1 person likes this.
  3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    There's also a Turnpike/GSP green pass, but that doesn't sound like it would help you much at all.

I don't think any of the program discounts applies to any other authority, even if that authority has it's own green discount plan. However I didn't jump through the hoops to get the green one, so I cannot personally confirm that.

IMO, it doesn't make sense to apply for both since you indicated that you won't be doing much travel.

1 person likes this.
  4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Joe,

As I had mentioned in your other thread and as usbseawolf said here, both Green Pass discount programs get programmed into one EZ Pass transponder -- neither program supercedes the other.

Also as I previously suggested, I think the easiest way to do this is to make one New York EZ Pass application, and check off both Green Pass discount programs (as well as any other special discount programs you're interested in and willing to pay for if they cost money). If you follow the instructions carefully, you'll get back one EZ Pass transponder in a nice green color, supposedly programmed for all the special discount programs you applied for.

2 people like this.
  5. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I had applied to the EZ-Pass online just today before reading the posts, which did me in. But I have faxed over a document with my car registration stating that I'd like to enroll for the Green Pass Discount program pointing out quite clearly that I want to enroll in the Thruway and the Port Authority Green Pass Discount plans in two separate bullet items.

Hopefully that's clear enough for them not to fudge it up. Thanks.
    Now I wait, for what I hear is going to be an eternity for them to send over the new passes. Whats the general wait time for these things?

Joe

6. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark but is that Robert Duvall in your avatar?

7. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    really? I signed up when they only had the 10% thing and thats all i get. How do I get the 50% discount applied to mine?

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, in his first major film role as Boo Radley in To Kill A Mockingbird.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you can take your NY Thruway Green EZ Pass transponder to one of the major EZ Pass centers and get your transponder reprogrammed to add the Port Authority Green Pass discount and whatever other discounts you might be interested in. I believe that's what usbseawolf2000 did.

Alternatively, I think you can reapply for a whole new EZ Pass and just check the boxes of both Green Pass discount programs and whatever other special discount programs you're requesting. Then when your new Green EZ Pass transponder comes in, return and cancel the old one.

I think you should also call New York EZ Pass to see what they say.

You might also want to check out the thread where we first discussed this:

http://priuschat.com/forums/nj-new-jersey/42897-port-authority-green-pass-program.html

Good luck. Report back if you can.

10. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks ill give them a call tomorrow, sounds like something they should be able to do over the phone

11. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update:

So I called ezpass customer support today and explained how I had the green tag already and wanted to have the port authority discount added. They said all I needed to do was write/fax them a letter explaining the situation, sign the bottom, and include my account # and I could have both

I just did that now so we'll see what happens. more to come...

1 person likes this.
  12. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're both on the same page so far, except you already have an EzPass and I am ye to get my first. :)

Cheers

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks SureValla,

So that means that the individual transponder is not programmed, and that they make the reprogramming of your account at headquarters? Sorta like cable TV if you want to add or drop premium channels or other services?

That's certainly the sensible way to do things. But as you may have seen from that first Green Pass thread, administration of the EZ Pass hasn't always seemed to make sense.

14. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hopefully thats the case, im somewhat skeptical it was as easy as writing a letter...

I remember getting my green pass, they refused to give me it until i got my official registration in the mail which takes 30 days after you register a car. in the meantime they had given me a regular pass which i then had to return to them.

not to mention that i lived in boston for a while and the green pass discount doesnt work with fast pass (even though the ez-pass transponders do)

15. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like I might just have provisioned. It should be on its way soon. Cant wait.
    I see this following plans (and an additional tag) on my EZPass account online

PAGREEN
    NYGREEN

Are these the correct plans (i'm guessing the PA one offers off-peak discount on the PANYNJ B&T and the NY is the 10% thruway discount).

I have this nagging feeling about the thruway discount. I keep getting told that the thruway discount is 5% and not 10%. Although EZPass and the thruway related site clearly states 10%, why are Ezpass customer service reps telling me otherwise?

Any ideas.

16. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone? I haven't had a chance to go through the PA tunnels or the NY thruway to confirm so can someone else confirm that I'm on the right plans?

17. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think those are the only two green plans available in NY. We have yet to apply for ours, though we already had an account for our other vehicles.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You got the right plans. I have a green tag that said "Property of New York Thruway" on it. On my statement, I get discount on Holland tunnel with the plan stated as "PAGREEN". This confirms the linkage.

I would imagine, if I use the Thruway, it would say "NYGREEN".

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without checking my online account, I'd say that those have got to be the correct plans.

I think the EZPass customer service reps' statement regarding the Thruway 5% discount is wrong. They may be talking about the Thruway basic discount (more or less) as opposed to the Thruway Green Pass 10% discount.

At this point, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just keep track of the use and check that against the monthly statement.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just checked my account. I have "PACP" for Port Authority Car-Pool plan. I believe by default, car pool option was not enabled. I also have "STANDARD" plan as well.

About the NY Thruway discount, it is 10%.

Source: https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans_popup.shtml