1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greentec auto battery - How to check Its what I paid for

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kevin3, Jan 7, 2015.

1. kevin3

kevin3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I bought a NEW Gen3 cells battery from GreenTec auto - the one for my Gen2 Prius. (Mine didn't drop dead, getting 38MPG and did the math and keeping the car for another 350K better to buy it now and get the use out of it).

However from the outside it looked the same as any old used HV battery for Gen2. They said they re used the case and I trusted them since its a well known shop. But now after I installed, is there any way to confirm they are New Gen3 cells, not some refrub Gen2? Is there anyway to see the Cells like remove the battery cover, or is this a bad idea?

I am getting better milage (about +8 to +10MPG) but that would be the case with a refurb out of the gate too right?

Thanks everyone who has knowledge and shares (y)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you gave up your perfectly working battery pack for one that you have doubts about? Now they will just sell your perfectly good pack to someone else for $1800.......and call it a Gen3 pack. I like their business model.

3. kevin3

kevin3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was not working, it was degrading obviously since the best I could get was 38MPG , that was with drafting and pulse and glide techniques. I really tried very hard to eek up the MPG and it was not getting "Prius" MPG.
    It seems reasonable that they would re-use the battery computer thingy and metal case that is attached from a worn out battery and only replace the cells. But that leaves nothing new visually to see.

Here is my logic on my purchase if you're interested:
    • OEM battery lasted ~240Kmi when it was degrading. I didn't know how to care for these in the first 150Kmi (left car in heat/sun with windows up in summer)
    • I decided to purchase a new Gen3 battery when OEM was done (whenever that would be)
    • I guess a new Gen3 battery would last at least 350K since it has gen3 cells and I know to take care of it better now.
    • The rest of the car wouldn't last past 600K (well maybe) so at 250Kmi on the car I purchased my new battery to get the full 350Kmi usage out of it (reselling battery with over 150Kmi would not be worth it)

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess anything labeled "Gen3" would equate to the same quality as the OEM from Toyota? I wish you the best on this purchase but I'm highly doubtful this battery will last you the time you are expecting it to last.

Unfortunately that Gen3 word means absolutely nothing. Another member did the same as you and bought their Gen3 battery from Greentec with a long warranty, it failed in 8 months. Not saying yours will be the same, but don't expect it to go 240k miles like the OEM you got rid of. That OEM battery probably would have gone another couple years with a good charge and balance. That's why I said, they will resell your battery to another person for $1800.......what a great business to run.

#4 JC91006, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know, one way or the other. I did talk to their main guy regarding a replacement HCHII pack, didn't follow through though. Still: how can you say this, that they just take someone's used pack, turn around and resell it, as-is? Any proof?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That battery pack never threw a code, it's all balanced, probably at a lower capacity than new. But people that sell refurbished batteries, that's all they do, rebalance a good pack and resell. What did you think they do to it?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The OP is saying the GreenTec battery he got has new 3rd gen cells. You're saying that he's been deceived. You could be right, or not. I'm just wondering if you have any proof.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not saying he's been deceived. I'm saying Gen3 is a selling term, as there is no definition for what that really is. It's a loosely tossed around term that suppose to mean something better than Gen2. For all we know, it's the same battery modules.

When people talk about oil, they use words like, "platinum, diamond, silver, gold" grades. Does anyone know what the hell that means? It's the same with Gen2 and Gen3 words being tossed around......they are used to signify a newer generation battery? So if they replaced your 2005 battery with modules from 2006, that could be a Gen3 right?

I don't have any proof on the matter but Greentec has lost their credibility with the Priuschat member that bought their new gen3 battery a year ago and it failed after 8 months. That just tells me whatever they call "new" is not exactly all that new.

9. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gen3 means from a 2010+ battery. Not necessarily new, but probably newer cells than any Gen2.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks smartypants :cool:. PC user Tampaprius tried these "OEM Gen3" modules in a Gen2 case......in more than 1 occasion, as well as know others that have tried.....they don't seem to work in Gen2 cars. These are OEM Gen3 modules.......not after market so called "Gen3" modules, whatever that may be.

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not commenting on this brand, but there are many ways to make a substandard battery, and very few ways to make a good one. I've seen videos where a tiny battery is embedded within a larger battery, and the space between is filled with some sort of plaster. The battery seems to work as advertised, but without a proper load-test, the only way to see the difference is when it goes dead.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How did that failed GenTec battery story turn out, the one that failed at 8 months? Did they honour the warranty, make it good? Really just curious, I mean: having a warranty doesn't mean sh*t doesn't happen, it means that when it does happen, the company stands behind their product, makes good on their promise. And it shouldn't be happening often, if their quality control is good and they're delivering on their claims.

Just hypothetically, say GreenTec's battery's are new, third gen cells, as advertised. Typically their cells are in good shape, the pack carefully charged and balanced. But in the case you cite something happened, say a weld failed, or a cell case cracked. How did they respond? Did they replace it, make it good? Or no?

xpcman likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They did stand behind their warranty. I guess shite happens when you reuse old cases and electronics. If that was me, I would say the old electronics failed, not our gen3 cells.....again whatever the heck that is

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's what I was thinking, that it was something in the recycled case and it's electronics. I'd just be careful: if you say they're just turning around returned batteries, claiming they have new cells, basically lying. If they're on the up and up, you're hurting a company that's trying. I mean, what you're saying could be, but...