1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greeting from NYC

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Voidvoice, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone, Im shopping around NJ/NJ/CT anyone from this area that can give me some tips, dealer, pricing ??

While i browse dealer inventory ; I find something very strange, some dealer inventory show the standard Prius with package #2 has HID headlamp. Isnt it a touring standard or a package #4 option?? :confused:

I wish i will be a prius owner soon. Thanks

2. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It worked out for me with Hudson Toyota. I got a package #2 with mats for $21700 + TTL, which is a bit lower than invoice price at edmunds. You can try them. They seem to have a no. of them in stock. But try to avoid saturdays as they are so crowded. I guess high volume will be a good thing since they may get better incentives.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Voidvoice,

Welcome.

Yes, HIDs are only on Standard Prius Pkg 4, 5 or 6, and all Touring Prius. The website inventory you referred to must be in error.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the extended warranty from your dealer. You can buy Toyota's best extended warranty, the Platinum Care Extended Warranty 7yrs/100,000 miles, here on PriusChat for $990. And you have until 36 months/36,000 miles to elect whether to buy it.

As a general matter, you should avoid buying any add ons from the dealer, whether it's the extended warranty, a maintenance plan (also available on PriusChat for less), window etching, body side moldings, bumper guard strips, etc., because either they have little intrinsic worth and/or you can normally get lower prices elsewhere.

For example (besides the extended warranty example I mentioned above), I was recently in Toyota of Manhattan and saw they had an illustrated price list for some modifications that they were offering. They wanted $399 installed for color keyed body side moldings, while you can get the exact same moldings (parts only) from Prius Chat for $120 delivered. And they wanted $299 installed for color matched bumper guard strips, while you can get the exact same strips (parts only) from BumperDefender.com for $80 delivered.

Anyways, good luck on your purchase.

5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  6. jump123

jump123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that someone was me. they did end up resolving the issue of their deceptive manner of selling me the extended service agreement, but it wasn't easy. While I think that the price I was able to get at Plaza was one of the best that I've seen on the "how much did you pay" thread, I would have gladly paid the 500 dollars I saved just to avoid this dealership.

Everyone's different though. I'm pretty forgiving and I don't see a need to bad-mouth a dealership as payback. I do, however, hope you have better luck if you do decide to go to Plaza.

7. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you buy the car in NJ the hybrid warranty is longer since we are a CARB state.

8. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jim,

I remember seeing the emission components are covered for 15 yr/150000 miles. Does this mean the hybrid system, especially the battery, will be covered for 15 yrs/150000 miles. If so, that will be really great news.

9. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks all for the advice.
    Im close to make a deal on a 2008 prius with package#5 MSRP 26614, the dealer offer 25000, is it a good deal?

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you might be able to do better. Say something closer to Invoice price of around $24,500. I've heard stories on this forum of people paying below Invoice (digging into the dealer holdback) recently (see example above), but don't know if that's up to the minute true any longer ... what, with oil at $112 a barrel now. I also love Jim's idea of buying in NJ to get the longer hybrid warranty.

11. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, this pertains to the hybrid components. Standard warranty is 10yr/100000.