1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings from a confused newbee!!!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gsesupport1, Apr 14, 2008.

1. gsesupport1

gsesupport1 FLLRUP

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :mmph: I have an 05 prius and I am getting what I consider crappy GPM 38 strictly city driving total commute 2 miles. We drive the car everywhere we go and the GPM just doesn't increase. I started out getting about 51 in the city and ever since then have steadily decreased the GPM. I did notice that when I replaced the tires with my o so favorite manufacture Firestone my GPM decreased from 49 to 38. I took the car to the dealer for it's 30K check and they said everything is working the way it is supposed to. Are there any suggestions for increasing the GPM? I did try to inflate the tires a little more but my wife complained that the car seemed to float. Please help me out here.

gsesupport1

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's the tires and the short trips. There is not much you can do about short trips, other than combine them, but you can use LRR tires.

Tom

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1.) Short trips is the ultimate killer. Whenever I start a trip I lose MPG for the first 10 minutes, after that the number usually continually climbs until I reach my destination.
    2.) Low Tire Pressure could be the culprit, try inflating your tires up a tad higher, Try at least 38 PSI or higher.
    3.) Try to keep the Climate control turned off for the first 5 minutes, that will help as well.

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As others have said it's your short commute. I tend to get about 25mpg or so the first 5 minutes of driving. After that it will climb to the low 50's. When your car first starts it will run the engine to warm itself and the catalytic converter up to temperature. While doing this the engine will run very rich which causes the decreased fuel economy. In reality all computer controlled cars do this. MPG decrease is just noticed a bit more on the Prius since mpg is more in your face in the Prius.

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or ride a bike and avoid those trivial distances altogether. That's the best option. 2 miles? You can do that on foot in 40 minutes, on roller blades in 20 minutes, or on a bike in 12 minutes (at speeds where you won't get sweaty in morning temps). Why use a car?

6. gsesupport1

gsesupport1 FLLRUP

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, I spoke to the tire dealer today, they are willing to replace my bridgestone EL400T with what ever tire I want at no charge, currently the size on the car is 185/65R15. I have read alot about tires here on the forums, but what is the best tire that can go on the car to give back my MPG. I would ride a bike to work but I never said I made the short trips it is my wifes car, now we all know she is not going to ride a bike in a dress to work everyday.

Where can I find information on the REVS and LRR for different tires?

Thanks again
    gsesupport1

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels has been recommended often.