1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings from NY!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Yodeler, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Yodeler

Yodeler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been a lurker here and, in part due to this forum, finally pulled the trigger on a 2010 Prius. We live outside of Albany and I was concerned about the winters as we live in the hilltown area, but a few light snows so far and no complaints about this great little car! I traded my '05 Dodge Ram (yes - 5.7 l Hemi) and couldn't be happier. I was averaging about 11-13 MPG on the truck and so far I'm in the 44 MPG range on the Prius. I'm quite happy already, but I think I'll be ecstatic when the higher gas prices inevitably come with the summer driving months. I'm going to be picking up some studded snow tires for it in a few hours, so that should alleviate any traction issues that may come up - and I have the requisite black tape ready for the TPMS light. I'd just like to say thanks to the mods and all of the contributors on this site - I've already learned a great deal from all of you and I hope to give some advice back over the years.

2. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congratulations on your new Prius. I am a fellow New Yorker in the Hudson Valley. We are getting slammed with snow. With 4 good snow tires, no problems with this mess. In fact, I am impressed with my prius abilities in the bad weather. Enjoy your new Prius and bad weather be dammed!!!!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome:

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. If you really like it now, you will love it in the summer.

5. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on your new Prius and welcome to PriusChat.

You've read it here before, but read that owner's manual.

Enjoy the ride.

6. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :welcome:
    I grew up in Saratoga - miss it, but not during winter!;)
    Have fun in your new Prius!

7. 1aberg1@verizon.net

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We just purchased a 2010 prius and so far no handling problems. we live in the Adirondack mountains and always have snow. I do have a question? The tire pressure light just came on and I added air. it did not go off, is there something I am missing? thanks [email protected]

8. Yodeler

Yodeler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Guys!
    Thanks for all the kind words! I just discovered how to "find" my posts, so sorry it took so long to reply. For 1aberg - I see you live in Saranac Lake, so I assume you are running snow tires. If they don't have the sensors in them your low pressure sensor light will come on. I have the stock tires/wheels stored in the garage next to where I park the Prius, so when I'm in the garage the sensor light goes off as I'm in close proximity to the sensors (it doesn't matter that they're not mounted on the car) and presumably they are all still at the proper PSI. However, after about 10-15 minuted of driving the light starts flashing and then stays on steady. From what the other members here say, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Good luck - it looks like we might have another flurry or two before springtime...

9. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aloha and Welcome,

I like that area up there by Albany, I love N.Y. but I don't know how I would like the winter. Winter was fine when I was a kid don't know about now. I am originally from Poughkeepsie, but now live in Hawaii. Gotta get back over that way and vistit family, maybe next year. Wise choice with the Prius enjoy and be safe until spring time.

10. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you add enough air and did you read your owner's manual?

11. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome from a fellow New Yorker. I'm here in Syracuse so I can say you're going to love those studded snows during the winter. I have four of them on my 2010 Prius. I did take a hit on the mileage but at least I can get up those hills. After a while you won't even notice that TPMS light. Rick

12. dplatnyc

dplatnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome. I live in Sullivan County, NY--what a winter! I got 4 Michelin Ice X2s and haven't slipped yet. Went from a fulltime 4 wheel drive 2001 Rav4 and while I drive more conservatively in the P, it has been just fine, even on hills and my icy, sloping driveway.

13. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum. There are lots of knowledgeable people here. Enjoy!