1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings, new member/owner. Just a couple questions if you please.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by TPP2k18, Dec 8, 2018.

1. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    So I have my new Prime, and am loving it... Had it almost 2 weeks and I haven't seen the gas bar move an inch. Also I have a free public fast charger 3 blocks from my home, so that can help with quick turn arounds if it isn't totally occupied lol.

Anyways I have two questions please.

Firstly, when I leave for work it's all pretty much downhill. I have about 89-94% battery left when I get to a long 1.5KM 8% downhill grade. I let the Prime just coast and regen what it can. However when it gets in the mid to high 90s range again from the regen, then engine turns on and starts some hybrid action even though I am in EV mode. I don't have climate control on or anything. Just heated seat and wheel, and satellite radio.

Just wondering if anyone knows why the engine kicks in? Also it was fairly warm for December 6C degrees.

Lastly, just wondering about hybrid mode. If an owner of a 2018 Prius jumped in my Prime in HV mode would he/she be able to tell the difference or is the system identical for all intents and purposes in HV mode.

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your first question’s answer is this is normal. When the battery is near full the engine will turn but not burn fuel to add braking.

As a passenger in a traditional 2018 Prius I would say they operate pretty darn near the same when in HV mode.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with schja01. and just to add, the engine comes on to burn off excess electrical generation that the battery is too full to accept.

Rickyedger likes this.
  4. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Well my commute is VERY short 12KM... why I really love my Prime... however after I come to the bottom of the grade, it's all flat and I am maybe halfway through my trip or just over at this point. The energy overview shows that the petrol engine is powering my car, as even accelerating from red lights, my battery doesn't budge because it is in HV mode I can only assume. Even if I toggle it from HV to EV again the petrol engine stays on. Then I usually park at my choice of fast food joint right before I get to work and get out of the car. This stops the petrol engine, and when I come back and leave EV mode operates again.

Just seems weird to me, but then again my whole commute is 10-12 minutes so... perhaps if it was longer the petrol engine would stop on its own.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you do not charge it all the way full, it may stay in EV mode.

6. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for that, when I head to work tomorrow I was going to test just that, I was out and about and ran the battery down to 60%.

I figured I'd go down my nice 8% grade in B mode to see what I can regen, and then also I was going to see if the engine starts up or not.

Thanks for the info I will definitely report back, even though with all the posts under your belt I am sure you'll be right lol.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like engine braking to burn the power that the battery can no longer accept. It must go somewhere, and spinning the engine for drag is what all our non-plugins do.

Can you halt home battery charging a bit early, so the battery does not get completely full? Leave enough room so that it can still take all the downhill regeneration.

... or just use enough climate control to burn off a bit more charge and create more room in the battery, before reaching that downhill.
    Once it starts spinning, it likely needs to pass through its warmup stages, requiring gasoline.
    The warmup process is likely terminated by shutting the car off at your fast food stop. It won't automatically resume when you come back.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) Never too late to learn.
    2) I feel knowledgeable about the Gen 2 and the v, as I have owned them for 115,000 miles. Gen 1,3, and 4, and the c I have never even ridden in. I have driven a Prime about 400 miles, so my experience is fleeting. (My older brother and my daughter both own Primes, my sister and I both own a v. I have a younger brother with a hybrid Ford)
    3) As you read here, you will discover that posting and knowing are statistically independent.

9. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Well just finished another jaunt to and from the slave yards =P lol j/k. It seems I use pretty much 40% charge on the battery getting to and from work in EV Eco mode, with the Climate control set to A/C and Auto @ 22C.

However once again when I hit my steep 8% grade for 1.5km, I started off @ about 52% at the top, put it in B mode to regen as much as possible and control speed, and once again. The petrol engine came on, and the green EV car icon went out meaning I had been transferred over to HV mode if I am not mistaken. It runs the petrol engine for approximately 2-4 min as that is how long it takes to get to my pit stop before work.

I want to make it clear I am not complaining, just questioning why. I have had it almost 2 weeks and I have not even seen the Gas meter budge, mind you I do a lot less traveling then most do I am sure.

Upon hopping back in the car, it's EV as normal for the last 2-3 min to work.

Just trying to understand is all.

Beyond that and the condensation in my Rear Taillights that Toyota is going to replace the whole assembly for, and is on a slow 1 month long trek from Japan, I absolutely love my Prius Prime.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried it without b mode?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another possibility is charge rate, rather than battery capacity, and outside temp will affect that.

12. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes I have tried in D as well it still happens. I guess I shall see what happens in the warmer months. Just trying to understand.

Ohh well my custom order Sun Shade, and DashMatt just arrived, that and mounting my dash cam should keep me distracted.

bisco likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found these reproducible last winter:
    • Below 50F (10C) + SOC > 90% + setting cruise control - engine comes on.
    • Hitting front windshield defrost - engine comes on.
    • "B" causes engine to come on to handle the downhill energy.
    • Random engine ON descending steep grades or ascending steep grades.
    My test route for seeing grade induced, engine on:
    [​IMG]
    • Direction of travel ->
    • Engine came on ascending.
    • Engine came on twice descending.
    If the engine comes on unexpected, stop and power-cycle the car. It will come back on in EV mode.

Bob Wilson

#13 bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    JeffFromNE, TPP2k18 and fuzzy1 like this.
  14. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's almost certainly the cold temperature. The battery can't accept charge as fast when it's cold. If you can get the battery warm enough, it might stay in EV mode for the hill. Your best bet would be to use the charge timer, and set it to finish charging some time after you plan to leave (45-60 minutes) so it's not full but still warm from charging. And a fast-charger will warm up the battery more than the slow charger included with the car.

So for example, maybe drain the battery then plug it into the fast charger 1.5 hours before you need to leave. Charging to around 75-80% is probably ideal to get the battery warm without making it too full to accept more charge. No guarantees that you'll be able to stay in EV mode, but it's worth a try if you want to experiment with it. If you don't care to experiment, just drive and don't worry about it. Toyota engineered it to be reliable without having to think about anything for the most part.

TPP2k18 likes this.
  15. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would also want it to be in EV as much as possible...

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're in la, but check with bob wilson in huntsville

17. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Just wanted to post a follow up. You guys are totally right, the batteries are not warm enough to take such an immediate amount of regen braking. I know this because I had a busier day than usual and for the first time ever, took my Prime to 0%... I had wanted to use a quick charger as I only had two hours before work, however as usual all taken lol. So I went home and plugged into the 120v. When I had to leave for work I obviously had to unplug it and head to work on the normal route I take. During the descend the ICE didn't turn on once.

One follow up oddity... since the giant nice person touch screen displays the time, and the time on the dash are not connected. How does one adjust the time on the main prime 11.x touch screen. I live in Canada so no Entune, cellular car connection for me.

Thanks.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  18. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Actually okay, I saw there is a time setting that controls your timezone via GPS and it had the right time, but then how does it know the right date?

I am asking this because twice now when I set the car to be charged to depart with climate prep it has failed.

Last night I got home @ 11:11pm. I set it to be ready to depart Friday with the little radio button @ 2:05PM. The HUD said ready Friday @ 2:05PM as well.

Then I went to plug in the car it did it's normal cycle thing and I proceeded to go to sleep. Now it's 3 hours until I have to leave, and I have a little wireless energy monitor that is connected to smart meter that shows me the entire households usage. I noticed that the car definitely wasn't charging and headed out to check, sure enough it wasn't. I turned the car to the on position removed the preset departure time in the touchscreen, and then the car proceeded to start charging. Saying 4 hours to a full charge, when I leave in 3...

What am I doing wrong... I watched the Toyota youtube video, this shouldn't be a complex matter... it's why it leads me to think perhaps the cars date is off?