1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gridlock

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, May 10, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    saw a blurb on CNN about the time sitting in gridlock. we now spend over 14 billion hours annually at a standstill because of traffic problems that is a 73 million hour increase over the previous year of record (2002).

i must say that i feel good about the fact that my car is not contributing to the cloud while sitting in traffic

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A solution to a problem (gridlock) cannot be found using the same process that caused the problem in the first place. We cannot expand our way out of gridlock, despite what departments of highways tell us.

Hybrids are a short-term solution. Plug-in Hybrids (PEHVs) are a next step. With many of us in single-occupancy vehicles, gridlock is inevitable. We need constructive, long-term solutions such as solar-assisted, maglev high speed trains as a part of comprehensive thinking.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yesterday morning, I saw a blurb about the gridlock. They said that Chicago is something like third in the country for time wasted sitting in traffic. They gave a figure somewhere near 8 million gallons of gasoline wasted in idling cars last year just in Chicago. There are two cities who wasted even more.

I couldn't help but to think that of all the gasoline wasted sitting in traffic, only the slightest of detectable amount was wasted by a Prius.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it might be higher than that Tony, its estimated that gridlock wasted over 4 billion gallons of gas last year in the US

5. majordude

majordude Member

Have you ever wondered why so many people are on the streets in the first place?

When I was a kid, I rode on a bus. Nowadays, every parent feels compelled to drive their own kids to school. My commute is 1/2 as long on days when schools are out.

And while I don't like it, I can understand traffic in the mornings and evenings... but take the day off and drive around at 10:30 on a Tuesday. Am I the only FOOL working? There are tons of cars on the streets. Don't they have a job?!

When I am king, all trucks will be limited to the hours of 10pm and 6am.

I've got more ideas.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wondered that too. At the age of 7, I was walking to school. The first day at a new school, my mom would walk with me so I knew the way. Usually. It makes me sick to see 400 cars lined up outside each elementary school at 3pm every weekday. And rush hour now lasts from 2:30-6pm thanks to some kids being too good to take the bus.

What's with this driving kids everywhere thing? My kids are walking. Well, once I get around to having kids.

Maybe this is part of the childhood obesity/diabetes problem as well as a traffic problem? Traffic: the root of many human troubles.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well supposedly streets were safer back then (a myth perpetuated by the fact that the lack of mass media and instant around the world news was not available to sensationalize every perverts actions like we have now)

also we spent less time watching TV and so therefore were not tied to the couch as much so we had more energy to walk or bike somewhere (probably likely)

and last but not least, there were less cars, less money, and therefore much fewer mothers who had a car available to them to drive to chaufer one around town.

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    skruse,
    Good post, the only thing I have to question is the move to the plug-in model. That might be be a delaying tactic in areas which have inexpensive hydro but not in areas like California, unless nuclear power, harnessing the tides or a new solar power breakthrough can be implemented .

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You mean we're getting fat and unhealthy because most of us now refuse to get off our fat a** to even walk 400 yards? Nah, really???

Sarcasm mode OFF.