1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grill block without scanguage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dipstick, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Dipstick

Dipstick New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey all, I'm a new prius owner in Alberta Canada. I've been reading about the methods of grill blocking, but most of the instructions talk about monitoring the temperature via the scanguage.

Our weather here is at -15 to -25 deg C right now, and I thought I could increase my mileage. However, in this area, the temperature swings between cold/warm spells. By the end of the week it could get to 10 deg C or even more...would it be safe to grill block at these temps seeing as I don't (yet) have a scanguage, and can't monitor engine temp?

Cheers,
    Bruce

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For town driving, temps up to +10 C should be ok with a winter front. Once -15 C and colder, highway full winter front is fine

If it worries you, just block off the upper grille slits. Leave the lower grille open, this is the part of the rad for inverter cooling

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've kept the upper grill blocked year round. The lower is blocked 80% until the summer. Never heard the fan start.

4. Dipstick

Dipstick New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, thanks.

5. 3xJ

3xJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been using a complete grill block this winter and got SGII recently. Now after seeing the numbers I would not block completely for highway if not colder than -15C. Today at -10C my coolant was at 95C constantly with a complete block. When I opened one of the five openings on the lower grill the temp varied between 80-90C which I believe is the normal range without the fan. However I never noticed the fan starting with the complete block. How do you know if the fan is on?

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can hear the fan from inside. Eg in summer with the A/C, I can also barely hear the distinctive whine of the variable speed electric A/C compressor. I have *good* hearing