1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

grill blocked, no heat in cabin??!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lextoy, Dec 8, 2010.

1. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ok,
    08 prius , driving in philly area, heat works great once car is warm.
    i am a big fan of preserving electic in the car, so i tend to run with the heat temp set to high, fresh air, and fans OFF
    so the airflow pressure thru the vents while driving warms up the car without using electricity to run the fan.
    so now i blocked off all my grill slats for the winter.
    engine warms up real nice, mileage is up, and if i turn on the fans i get awesome heat from the system
    BUT
    if i try to run in my normal heat setup, aka no fans,
    i get absolutely no flow thru the vents to warm the cabin.

is this a result of the grill blocking?? does the ventilation system draw its air somehow from air that flows thru the grill. it must.

anyone else notice this?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fresh air enters the cabin via the windshield cowl area. If you open the hood and look at the cowl you'll see openings that allow the air to enter.

Make sure that the recirc/fresh air button is set to allow fresh air to enter. If it is and you aren't getting fresh air flow, then maybe the door that allows fresh air to enter is stuck.

3. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    thats what i thought, usually air enters via the vents below the windshield.
    i will have to try some different things to see if i can feel any better air flow, or hear if the recirc flapper is moving.
    any idea where that flap is located?

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Lextoy,

You are probably aware of this, but maybe not. The Prius climate control computer will not run the fans, until the engine is warmed up a little. Then it automatically ramps up the fan, and hot air starts to flow.

This is a common thing that is done manually to. Running the fan when there is no heat, makes for a colder wind-chill in the car on a cold morning.

As others have elluded too, the vents for fresh air, on the passenger side of the cowl can become covered with snow, which then can be reflowed into an icy mix, blocking off those passages. Use a snow brush bristles down, with a hammering action to push the icy mix through the cowl duct wire mesh screen, after removing any over-lying snow. If the bristles on your brush are all curled up and distorted from use, this wont work. The bristles need to be straight and present a pointed end to the vent.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From a long-time grille-blocker: Your grille blocking should, if anything, enhance cabin heat by accelerating ICE warm-up. So I agree that something else is amiss.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This thread made me realize that I do not understand the specifics of cabin heating from engine heat. Is air surrounding the engine passively heating up and being drawn into the car cabin, or is engine heat transferred to air that originates elsewhere, and then the air passed into the cabin ?

OP: How much power do you think you are saving ?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius cabin heating starts off with the same concept as nearly any automobile with a "water-cooled" engine: hoses provide hot engine coolant to a heater core located within the HVAC system in the passenger cabin. The heater core produces heat. A blower assembly circulates air past the heater core, heating it up, so that it can flow through the various HVAC ducts.

Since the Prius engine turns off from time to time, a couple of refinements were added to this basic design. 1) an electric pump is used to continue the flow of coolant through the heater core even when the engine is off. 2) a couple of PTC electric heaters supplement the heat output from the heater core.

The original VW Beetle with an air cooled engine had a cabin heating concept which required air to be drawn from the engine compartment. This was a very unsafe concept because all sort of noxious fumes including carbon monoxide could enter the cabin. Just one of many reasons why that vehicle would be designated a death trap given today's standards.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is it this blower that is turned off when the car operator sets the 'fan' to off ?

Thanks for the education!

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hmm. So is OP inadvertently turning on the electric heaters by turning off the fan but cranking up the heat setting ?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No block heater?
    PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius Engine Block Heater [Prius EBH] - $59.00
    If your parking situation permits you to run one, then do it. Put a timer in line, let it run for 1.5 - 2.0 hours prior to departure e/ morning, and you're good to go. Higher winter mpg's AND quicker heat.

12. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i cant plug in a block heater where i park.
    my problem is not that it doesnt blow hot when i turn on the fan.
    i am just wondering where the natural flow of air pressure is when the fan is OFF and vents are open.
    in another car, with vents open, fans off, at 50 mph there is noticeable fresh air circulating thru the cabin via the vents. often enough i dont even need to run the fans to maintain warmth in the winter.
    in the prius i cant feel ANY air coming in thru the vents with fans OFF, even at 50 mph.

13. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i checked the operation of teh fresh/recirc button, and i can hear some kind of shutter opening and closing. or at least i hear something actuating.
    but no difference in airlfow when fan is OFF
    does anyone else feel airflow with fans OFF???
    alot?? barely any?
    this isnt a life or death situation, but i am suprised that the system is so tight.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone considered that due to the very low wind drag of the Prius shape there is little pressure in front of the car to push air through the vents without the fan to assist?

15. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    aha!!
    that does make sense!

16. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was surprised when I first learned of these supplemental electric heaters (on this forum of course) and I may be in for some more surprises now, but I thought the electric heaters only came on when the engine temperature was below some value (unknown to me) and when in defrost mode. Do they also work under high heat settings as well?

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Per p. BE-108 of the 2004 Prius New Car Features manual, here are the rules for PTC heater operation:

When the hybrid system is operating (READY), and the blower motor is turned ON, the A/C ECU turns ON the PTC heater if the conditions listed below are met.
    Heater core integrated PTC Heater​
    • ​
    Air outlet is in the FOOT, FOOT/DEF or DEF mode.

• ​
    Engine coolant temperature is below specified temperature.

• ​
    Ambient temperature is below specified temperature (DEF mode).

• ​
    Tentative air mix damper opening angle is above the specified value. (MAX HOT)

Footwell air duct integrated PTC heater​
    • ​
    Air outlet is in the FOOT or FOOT/DEF mode.

• ​
    Engine coolant temperature is below specified temperature.

• ​
    Tentative air mix damper opening angle is above the specified value. (MAX HOT)

1 person likes this.