1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grille Blocking --> OAT Sensor --> Auto A/C control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So... our first taste of winter on the west coast hit us this week with overnight lows below freezing.

One thing I did notice is that the Prius' OAT reading never went below 0°C even in the early morning.

Listening to the radio, they tell me it's -2°C outside. The Prius says it's +3°C. Later that day, it reads +8°C when I know it's only 4°C.

Now this has an effect on the automatic climate control. I set it at 22°C and it gives me heat in the morning. In the afternoon when it's still freezing, it blows luke warm air instead of heat.

This leads me to think, does the grille blocking have anything to do with it?

I've only blocked the upper grille. The air dam is completely untouched. If so, then that means the OAT sensor is somewhere behind the grille? cause it seems like the engine heat that's retained is giving the unusually high reading which then affects the climate control.

Any ideas?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Service Manual does show the position of the sensor to be somewhere right behind the grill opening.

[attachmentid=12587]

Attached Files:

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh brilliant, thanks for the pic!! Hmm... It almost seems like it's between the grille and the lower air dam. I'm surprised the grille blockage has such an impact. Just now on the ride home, it read btwn 3 and 4°C. It's currently btwn 0 and +1°C

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a vertical sheet metal member right in front of the middle
    of the radiators. It's mounted to that.
    _H*

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 24 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]543609[/snapback]</div>
    ohh.. so do you think the grille blocking will have an impact on the sensor?

6. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 24 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]543523[/snapback]</div>
    I would recommend putting a small hole in the grill blockage right in front of the sensor to allow cold air to reach it. That should take care of it, and not really impact the performance of the car.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good thanks. I gotta find the sensor I suppose? Then figure out where to leave a gap.

My foam insulation is actually in 4 pieces. Two pieces above and two below the grille so I can leave the centre open a tad if needed (and hopefully the sensor is near the centre of the car)