1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grinding Noise When Braking at Low Speed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rayout, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rayout

rayout New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought my Prius (2005, with 160K miles) about a month ago and since I've had it I am hearing a metal on metal grinding noise when braking at low speed. How loud the sound is depends on how hard I am on pushing on the brakes. One of my co-workers has the same model and said that his does not make that sound. Not sure if its just because it has after-market brake pads or something? This noise only occurs when braking at low speeds (below 10 MPH) so I assume its an issue with the front brakes.

Is this something I need to get looked at by the dealership? I had a local mechanic that worked on my old Honda beater take a look and he said that the rotors and brake pads looked new and wasn't sure why they'd make noise.

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dirty rotors are the first suspect. Next time out, as you are descending a hill, put the car in Neutral and use your brakes to slow or stop. That may do it. If it does, repeat this exercise once a month.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rust, the silent killer.:cool:

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it's just rust on the discs. The Prius uses the regen braking so effectively that the front brakes don't get polished off often enough, mainly below 8 mph. I have a long downhill driveway. When I start out, by the time I reach the bottom, at less than 8 mph, the brakes are silent.