1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grinding noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rxmxsh, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys,

Pretty fresh to the whole hybrid world, but sometime I hear a noise that resembles someone trying to rewind a cassette tape that has already been rewound. If that makes sense. Seems to come from underneath the steearing column. Is that normal? :huh:

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When does this happen? If it seems coincident with the brake pedal being pushed, it's probably normal. There's a small pump that runs (even when the car is off) that repressurizes a portion of the braking system to ensure reliable stopping performance.

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Mar 15 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]406241[/snapback]</div>
    I'll have to pay attention, but it seemed to happen when I'm not moving at all...

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been getting an odd noise recently. I'm quite familiar with the rapid-fire clicking off the brake pump (which is what I'd guess the OP's noise to be), but recently, while stopped with the brake depressed I've been hearing little grinding/squooshing noises with maybe a click, at 1-2 second intervals. The source is hard to pin down, but doesn't seem to necessarily be coming from the front - I'd guess it sounded a bit like it could be the brakes applying and releasing themselves. Or just some sort of pressure adjustments happening in the system. But not the usual ratcheting brake pump sound.

Any ideas? :huh:

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Mar 15 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]406205[/snapback]</div>
    Does it happen at start up and does it happen in short bursts? Is it a friction type whirring noise? Could it be coming from behind your display? If all rings true, I'm picking up my car tonight for this same noise. It was my brake actuator. If this is what's going on w/ your car, they'll bleed your brakes to see if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't, they'll order the part under your warranty and repair the vehicle. It's an all day job. Ask for a rental. They provided me w/ one, no problem. Hope this helps.

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds a bit like mine. Tends to be not long after start-up, and it does it a number of times in a sequence. Could be a friction whirring noise, yes. But it's much quieter than the normal clicky brake pump repressurisation (which only happens once every now and again) and I can't really locate it. Wouldn't notice it unless the radio was off.

7. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 15 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]406292[/snapback]</div>
    So then.... Normal? :huh:

8. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know I just started noticing this "ratcheting" sound also, but it seems to come only when the car is swithing from battery only to gas+battery,

ity sounds like a chrysler when it comes to a stop. Hope fully some one on here understands that, since every chrysler I hear pull up to stop signs makes a weird clicking sound.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 15 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]406365[/snapback]</div>
    My noise isn't quite. It's a very obvious noise. If you hear yours when placing your ear to the display, and it only happens when the car is warming up, get it in the shop to have it checked. I just posted in my "whirring noise" thread that I picked up my car last night from getting it repaired and it did it again this morning! I'm bringing it back in next week.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Mar 15 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]406371[/snapback]</div>
    I've explained my noise the best I'm able via written description. My noise is absolutely not normal. My car is defective. If you're unsure, it's always best to bring the car in, just to be sure.

10. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 16 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]406838[/snapback]</div>

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=28283

This thread answered my prob. ... Thanks guys!