1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grinding sound when moving from stop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by campervanman, Feb 16, 2022.

1. campervanman

campervanman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008, with around 170k on the clock. Started to notice a grinding sound when moving off from a stop, and figured it was the front bearings. With front axle in the air, rotating tires by hand replicated the sound. Replaced bearings on both side (Timken from Rock Auto) and also lubed brake pad shims in October 2021 and sound disappeared for a while. Now, it's back!!!

I'm thinking it's unlikely to be the bearings, and could be a failure of the brake pads to retreat from the disc at very low speeds. No abnormal sounds aside from moving off from a hard stop. The calipers had quite a bit of rust when I last changed the rotors, pads and shims (July 2021). I had a hard time getting shims and pads back in. Does my theory sound plausible? And if so, what should I do about it? Remove the pads and shims, remove the rust, reassemble and lube?

Thank you!