1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Groaning noise??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dana_, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Dana_

Dana_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone!

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my Prius. A few weeks ago, there was a big rainstorm in California, and I accidentally backed into what I think was a storm drain under very deep water. I heard a big thunk, but there was no visible damage to the car. A few days later, I noticed a low groaning noise that comes from inside the cabin, somewhere around the center console/front passenger side. I usually only hear it when I am moving at low/moderate speeds and turning the wheel to the left, although occasionally if the road is bumpy I hear it with my wheels straight ahead. For a couple weeks, I thought the noise only happened when moving-- however, last Friday, I was sitting in the car, which was parked on a hill with the wheels curbed (steering wheel all the way to the left). I turned the car on, and immediately the car started groaning (even though the car was in park). Then, after about 30 seconds, the gas engine turned off (I think that's what happens when the car gets much quieter after idling for a bit) and the noise stopped. SO, it happened when the car was in park as well.

Do any of you have any idea what this noise might be?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! have you put it on a lift for a look see?

3. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More than likely you might have tweeked the exhaust but to really know other than guessing all day here it has to be put on a lift and inspected where the origin of your initial accident was and go from there.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In "old school" cars, groaning was a classic sign of power steering issues. This being a Prius, I do not even know if it has power steering ;)

But, a couple of things you mentioned sort of make me think some sort of steering thing. Try turning the wheels while stopped with the car "on" and listen for the noise.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has electric power steering. None of the old classic hydraulic pump groan.

-Chap

6. Dana_

Dana_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't put it on a lift. I'm going to take it into the dealer on Friday, but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions. So bizarre!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't argue with that. can you record the sound and put it up here?