1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grom AUX adapter problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Borgar1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been loving the Grom AUX adapter I installed using the info on this forum. One minor annoyance I've found is that every so often, when I turn on the car, the adapter is not recognized by the stereo system. normally, the adapter is activated when I press the cd button for the cd changer. When this happens, it just says "no CD". I have to turn off the car power and restart, then the stereo recognizes the adapter again. is there anyway to reset the adapter without turning the cars power on and off again?

Info: 2005 Prius (base model). No CD changer.

I contacted Grom about this, and they said it must be a defective unit, and to just send it back for a new one. That seemed kind of odd, since this only happens about 5% of the time. Before I open the dash again, though, just wondering if there are any simpler solutions.

Cheers,
    andrew

2. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I too have the Grom adapter and it also fails to be recognized a small percentage of the time prompting a re-start. I know of no other way to reset it. I'm a little skectical they fixed this problem since it has been reported for years. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has a newer Grom unit to see whether it now works flawlessly - at least on power up. Other than this issue, its a fine unit.

4. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Add me to the list of problems, but i got tire of the grom interface deciding when i can listen to ipod so i pull it out and replace it with a dice electronics interface

5. slapointe

slapointe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get that problem every once in a while. Don't know of a fix. Overall it's been working fine though.

6. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I uninstalled the adapter, and mailed it back to GromAudio today. I'm not too optimistic, but I figure it's worth a shot (and a couple of weeks of inconvenience of doing without it). I'll let you know what happens.

7. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this was a while ago, but I'm having the same problem... Says no cd, won't recognize it at all. Mailed it to them, said nothing wrong with it.. Sent a new one and same thing.

8. Mean Kitty

Mean Kitty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got one of those in my 2005 prius as well, same problem. I have noticed that if you leave your AC on (especially if the fan is on high) or if you leave the lights on when you turn the car off. It seems to do it more often. I think from my years of messing with this defect in the grom audio box, that if there is a strain on the battery when you turn the car on, it is much more likely to not power the box up properly. I had it not power up one day 8 out of 10 times by trying to start the car with the AC turned on high, leaving the headlights on when starting the car, etc... 2 of those 10 times it worked fine. I really think its got to due with a low voltage issue, and the only way to fix the problem might be to get power to the box from a different source, since from what I remember you tap into the HU for power. Its been 7 years since I've installed the box, and its still 90% working for me, so I'll just leave it the way it is until the car doesn't run anymore. I do love my old prius, it has really taken a beating, and still run great!

9. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    how is it working now, its been while, can you please update the working condition now.

10. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did get the new one, and installed it. And yes... it still doesn't work about 5% of the time. And yes... the only solution I've found those times is to completely turn the car power off, then back on. I've tried keeping the A/C off when I power off the car, per Mean Kitty's suggestion; I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.
    It's just become one of those quirks in life that I've learned to live with. If it's a short car trip, and it doesn't work, I just listen to the radio. If I'm in for a long car trip, I make sure to test it right away upon powering up, because I can't "reboot" the car on the Interstate. :)

Autoconfig likes this.
  11. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for suggestion, how much you spent on installation.

12. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just my time -- did it myself according to the instructions on this site (sorry I don't recall exactly where... that was 3.5 years ago)

13. Brian Radcliffe

Brian Radcliffe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the Grom Bluetooth (GROM-BT3) unit and have never had a problem with the Grom not powering up or connecting to my phone on car start.... however there is a problem with the unit not having noise cancellation built in the device. some cell phones your caller will hear a terrible echo of themselves speaking.