1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ground clearance problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Anyone out there experience any problems with the low ground clearance?

I’ve heard it can be a problem in deep powder snow areas.

My concern is I have a large curb which makes most cars scrape their front end on their way in and out of the driveway. Should I look at fixing the curb before delivery, or should I be able to safely cheat the car up and down the curb at an angle?

2. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ground Clearance

I have not had any problem getting around and/or ground clearance in snow. In fact last winter Omaha, Nebraska, we had a lot of snow and my 04 did great.

Ben

3. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think the front clearance is pretty low ...

I back into my driveway to avoid scraping, though it wasn't a problem with my last car (Honda Accord).

I'd think about fixing the curb or backing in.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bottomed out the other day on a not-too-bad looking speed bump. I probably could have cleared it going really slow, but as it was I was less than 10-12mph. But I've also had to drive on and park on grass a couple times in the past 2 weeks and taking it easy I didn't have any trouble crossing the rough ground and it's concrete ditches and other dips and rises.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Rent that Jack Hammer and save the car. Curbs are a dime a dozen, these cars aren't

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    While visiting San Fransisco a couple days after taking delivery, I noticed the lower air dam would scrape the pavement when entering an intersection after driving down one of those insane hills!

I had to start driving the Prius into intersections on a slight angle to avoid scraping the air dam.

7. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Amen! :)

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I scraped something underneath on one occasion when I drove into a friend's very steep driveway. Needless to say, I parked on the street after that, when visiting that friend.

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Many curbs scrape the air dam and I even have hit a few tall tire stops but so far I have not cracked the air dam. Methinks it is but a matter of time.

10. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had a large bump in my driveway late last year when I bought my Prius. I scraped the front end maybe twice, and very lightly at that, but it was enough to put holes in my undercarriage cover. I paid the $$ and got the driveway repaired. I got a quote for a new cover last year and it was up around $600... for a chuck of plastic... I passed. BTW, my mileage has yet to be affected by these little holes down there.

FWIW, this cover is made of very thin plastic. I bet many of the people who've scraped pavement don't even realize that their aerodynamic plastic cover is damaged.

Kevin

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My lazy side was hoping that everyone would say the Prii would take a large curb with no problem.

I got that “happy call†from my dealer last week. Three for me to choose from, but I passed on grounds of color/package combos. Now in #1 overall position, so they say I have my choice of every Prii from now till we buy.

That got me busy with the curb situation. I called the city about what hoops I jump through. They will send a crew next week to inspect. I think they will split the costs as a nearby city tree has raised the gutter and curb enough to make it a tripping hazzard.

I agree, protect the Prii.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the low clearance helps to rduce drag on the car. the front air dam will scrape on the average curb or those concrete stops in a parking lot.

i have become adept at stopping just short of those things. as it is, i still dont stick out as far as an average SUV (or anything else for that matter)

i think according to the specs, the clearance is about 4.5"

13. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

sounds about right... and can you believe the people that say they want to LOWER theirs?