1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grr- venting and vaporizing again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dianne, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Dianne

Dianne New Member

I wanted to express some feelings here.

I had a list member (he shall remain nameless) who is still awaiting a Prius thru me, and he's been offered cars by other dealers (for more $?) or in different colors that were not acceptable. That said, he emailed me today that he needed a truck for his kid and "due to his experience with Toyota in this whole Prius thing" he was not going to buy a Toyota truck from me for his kid.

Let's make this about me for a second, and then I will make it about you
    all.

I sell 1,800+ cars a year. Such a small percentage of my volume is Prius
    because Prius IS a small allocation of cars. That cannot be helped. It's
    been that way for years. I sell TONS of Sienna, Camrys, Tacomas, MANY
    Tundras, and so forth. It's not OK with me that I am bugged to death by
    those awaiting the hard-to-get Prii and not to be respectful enough to do
    business with me on cars or trucks that I can get. That's my livelihood. I
    am expected to sell 125 - 150 cars a month so that we keep up the momentum on EVERYTHING, not just Prii. The email conversation I had with this man left me rather pissed. I felt like I was being blamed for something completely out of my control.

OK, that was about me.. now, about you guys and gals. If you need anything that says TOYOTA or SCION on it, reach me. I sell many cars across the country and local as well. Deals are awesome, and I do lots of special orders for lots of cars. Put my time to good use for yourself if you need a Toyota or Scion or used Toyota or any other USED car we have on our lot .... and that goes for anyone you send my way -- neighbors, co-workers, friends... relations. Let me do my job -- it's VERY important to me -- selling what we CAN get... and please dilute the negativity in my life where the 2004 Prius is concerned. OK? It would help. That letter from this morning from the "I am a truck seeker but hahaha" just ruined my damn day.

Dianne

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I loved your rant! it sounded like the creaking chain that lifted the weight was in the background.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Ack! I sympathize with you, Dianne -- my condolences.

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks, and you're one of the people who's constantly had good (and upbeat!) advice for those of us considering buying a Prius.

I can only speak for myself, but I think your "bad apple" is the exception; please don't let him/her sour you on this group!

Jeff Meyer

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I guess his Prius order just sank to the bottom of the pile!

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Dianne - Sorry to hear about the 'bad apple'. Consider this for a moment and I certainly hope it will help... I've had my '04 Prius for five weeks now and have been visiting this board since I took ownership. I already know who you are by first name only, the great support and feedback you've given to both your personal customers and fellow board members, and the respect that you've earned whenever you're mentioned in a thread (or in an Edmunds article!). Your reputation precedes you and it spreads quickly.

For someone who's livelihood is based mostly on selling cars OTHER than the Prius, the fact that you're here, providing information, and learning from others is amazing. In all of my ownership experiences, I've always known more about the vehicles I own than any salesperson I've ever had to deal with, to the point of frustration.

Looking forward to your continued activity in the Prii community. If that email still bothers you, take a Prius out for a drive and remember the 'road calm' effect!

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

Dianne, even though I live across the country, when it comes time next year-ish to trade in my 2000 Neon and purchase a lower-end toyota just as a 'backup' second car, I promise we will call you first. You go above and beyond any dealer I've ever known.

-m.

7. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne,

When you figure out how to not have the one moment or that one person not ruin your day, please let me know. I'm sure there is a psychology to it, but I certainly haven't figured it out. It happens to me almost every day with one of my classes. (The one right after lunch) No matter how good the rest of the day has gone, this class ruins it for me.

You came to the right place to vent. You are well-respected, and might I say loved by the vast majority on this group. Don't let the bad ones get you down.

Loving every minute with my new Prius with the Carson Toyota plates.

Jeff

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I understand your frustration, but it sounds to me like this guy was targeting Toyota, not you. He's mad at Toyota for having seriously misjudged the demand for this great car.

That said, he's biting off his nose to spite his face: he's going to buy an inferior truck (is there any truck that's not inferior to a Toyota?) just because there are too many people who want to buy the same car he wants.

Fifteen years ago, before buying my Honda Civic, I visited the Toyota dealer. The fact that I'd have had to wait for a Toyota, and no promises I'd get the color and options I wanted, sent me over to Honda. I'd have stuck with Honda had the Prius not been such a revolutionary car. The Civic is a great car, but it just can't compare.

9. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sorry that guy rattled your cage, but i know your bars are strong and flexible...(i have no idea what i just wrote may mean)...happens to me too from time to time, you do good work, and i have seen you have fun at doing the work as well...so, it's nice there's this place, safe, to blow off steam. i thank you for selling me my black #8, which i have now tinted all the windows (don't tell CHP), put in leather including my tie dyed woodstock deerskins, deprogrammed this, upprogrammed that, looking at after market wheels, may re-do the jbls, and so far at 2700 miles, avge about 49 mpg. i'm having fun, thanks.

10. Batavier

Batavier Member

Well, at least you can come here and vent a bit :)

I'm sorry there are people like that, it's rather childish actually to send emails like that. I've only recently ordered my Prius and the delivery time here in the Netherlands is four to seven months, but I wouldn't dream of blaming my dealer for the delays. Maybe in the US things work differently

11. jasond

jasond New Member

Well, it's certainly reasonable that someone would be soured on Toyota vehicles due to a bad Prius experience. That's the risk Toyota takes with this underproduction stuff. If this guy doesn't want to buy a Toyota truck now, that's certainly his right. If he was going to a different dealership but still buying a Toyota, then THAT would be awful.

(My brother-in-law is a salesman at a Ford dealership.. I bought a Focus there a few years ago, but Ford doesn't have a hybrid and my Focus had a lot of brake problems, so he didn't get my business even though I could've gotten a great deal.. nothing personal in it)

Of course, that doesn't mean this guy should email you about it and rub it in your face.

But perhaps he was simply hoping you'd relay his discontent to Toyota corporate? I'm sure a lot of people don't understand the distinction between a car manufacturer (Toyota) and a car dealership (with a big Toyota sign in front). He might just have been venting frustration at Toyota corporation and hit you by mistake...

12. Stan Wilson

Stan Wilson New Member

I am glad to have my Prius but I believe Toyota NA needs to know the sour taste the consumers have with the poor rollout...both on their part and on the part of many (not all) dealers. Who could fault people for going to other vehicles after what all I have read on this Forum about the rollout problems.

13. Dianne

Dianne New Member

This one made me laugh out loud for sure!! O:>

14. olends

olends New Member

i'd buy from dianne but the simple fact is i'm almost 3000 miles away. it would need an oil change even before i got home :)

but i'll ask her questions

like do you know trac rental rates across the country, or only for your dealership?

15. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Each dealership is free to set their own TRAC car rates.

16. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i tried to reply via AOL IM, but i ran over the 1024-character limit...

when some moron tries to ruin your day, remember that someone ELSE probably has to live/sleep/coexist with them, and that person is NOT YOU.

that should be enough to start to take the edge off the anger and resentment any normal, healthy human is likely to feel.

i suggested to my wife that there's a rumor of a hybrid Camry in '06, and her '98 Camry will be getting a bit long in the tooth by then..... if my Prius is a good enough experience for her [hoping/expecting it, will, after it gets here], we'll probably trade it on a hybrid Camry.

you just might be where we drive our Camry to trade it in..... we're in Cupertino, probably not more than about 450 miles from you, right? and you're probably a short taxi ride from LAX.....

and we'd get a chance to meet you in person.....

so, when will you be taking deposits? around May of '05?

put me in your tickler file
    if you need more details, i'm on IM at plusaf

we love you! :D

17. Dianne

Dianne New Member

I have to say, there is a tremendous amount of kindness here. I like it. I did not post to get attention in this way -- I really can help myself feel better with the beach and my son's influence, and the comfort of my home... but this is so unexpectedly nice. Someone posted about the cage bars being strong and also flexible... and metaphorically, he is right!

I just wanted to tell you all to call me for the other stuff I sell too! :> But, as I said, this is just too kind and it brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for the kind words, all!

Di

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Diane, don't let this guy get to you. People like him are typically miserable sorts to everyone around them. What you do to promote Prius is far and above what ANY person can reasonably expect. I'd just blow the guy off.

Daniel, there is a truck better than a Toyota. It's sitting in my driveway. To be fair, Toyota doesn't offer the type of truck that I need - 3/4 ton, diesel powered, stripped to the bare necessities, and manually shifted.

19. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Di, Empress of Prius:
    Maybe that poor soul doesn't realize he is hurting our best friend. I am sure you will overcome his remarks. Go out to lunch today and have a beer, maybe your day will improve.

Seriously, we all love you for your kind assistance in many ways.