1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grrrrr, dealer put Toyota Oil in my synthetic Oil Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wildkow, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok the dealer put Toyota (petroleum based) oil in my Synthetically Oiled Prius should I worry? The dealer has offered the next service free and/or will take the petro based oil out and replace it with synthetic. I have used Mobile1 5-30 since I had 4000 or 5000 miles on my Prius and now they put Toyota oil in :angry: . Plus everytime they have slightly overfilled and this time they get it right on the button. What's up with that?!? LOL! I even told them to only put 3 quarts in this time so that I could top it off and not overfill.

Thanks for your opinions.

Wildkow

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Feb 23 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]395581[/snapback]</div>
    Take the free service. IMO no harm done unless they charged you for something you didn't receive. At least the tech can count to 3. :p Have you considered going somewhere else?

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One dealer I went to I told them to put in 3.5 quarts of my oil. They did that and topped it off with their oil. I complained and got them to remove the oil and filter and replace it with the oil I wanted for free.

4. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

It would be handy if there was a sticker, or something, you could place on the engine block to remind a dealer you want Mobil One, or any other oil that you were using. <_<

5. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Feb 23 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]395581[/snapback]</div>
    I would have them replace the oil with synthetic as soon as possible, petrolium and sythetic oil do not mix! they are two entirely different oils. at least they offered to fix it for free.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer once gave me a complimentary oil change 1 week after I'd had a regularly scheduled change to my mobil 1...of course they used mineral oil.

I kind of went through a similar dilemna...but ultimately decided there was no risk of harm to the car and it would be wasteful/anti-environmental of me to make them dump and replace what was in there since they'd already wasted 4 quarts of synthetic.

Let it go, take the next one free and don't sweat it.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time you take it in, put a sign on the driver's side dashboard reading; Synthetic Only. If they don't get it, file a complaint about whomever did the oil change.. try again... sooner or later they will get an intelligent mechanic.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Feb 23 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]395671[/snapback]</div>
    Mobil will send you some stickers, for free, that say "Use only Mobil 1 synthetic" that you can put on the air filter box near the oil pour spout. Can't recall the thread/phone number, but I have one...didn't when I had my problem, but do now. Not sure if they pay attention or not, but I bring my own oil and have not had an issue when I do that.

*edit: Here's the thread:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15724

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay I did some internet research and while they did not say that mixing the two was harmful they did not advise it. So as efusco said it's wasteful and enviromentally unsound so it stays in the car for nomore than 5000 miles and then its out of there or if it gets yuccky looking its out of there or if I start hearing weird sounds or smelling weird smells it's out of there or if anything else related to the oil change gives me the Heebie Jeebies it's out of there.

Wildkow

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Feb 23 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]395581[/snapback]</div>
    I'd say you should be happy they're so honest and just didn't tell you and then charge you for synthetic. At least you know you can trust them.

11. rik

rik Junior Member

I'm curious: why does the type of oil matter?

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wildkow, if my Prius got 'miss-oiled' in this way I would run it 5k miles, change back to synthetic, and confidently expect that no harm had been done.

Tomorrowmatters, with respect I believe that your concerns about non-compatability are not well-founded.

Sprague, the Q about what type of oil is not really resolved. In Prius I suppose that one could use correctly rated conventional engine oil with 5k or even 8k mile change intervals and never suffer from that. There would likely be some buildup of 'varnish' (mineral oil thermal decomposition products) on engine non-contact surfaces, but nobdody is sure that those 'hurt'.

Nevertheless some of us don't want varnish, and we prefer to use longer oil change intervals which become possible with synthetic oil. There may very well be other advantages to synthetic oil over the very long term, but this cannot be proved as yet for Prius.

13. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Feb 25 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]396194[/snapback]</div>
    Well at least in the past this was an issue, here is a quote from a website on this.

".......One urban myth surrounding synthetic oil is its compatibility with conventional oil. At one time, those who switched from conventional to synthetics had to stick with synthetics—there was no going back. Synthetics expanded the seals in the engine; then, when conventional motor oil was used, that engine sprang multiple leaks.
    Usage
    Now, while the companies don't recommend mixing or switching back and forth, one company's synthetics are fully compatible with others and compatible with conventional oils. The source of compatibility problems was high levels of ester in the earlier synthetics. Considering the consequences, it's best to verify this compatibility, either on the company's website or with your trusted mechanic........."

here is the full link
    http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articlevi...=2&scccid=2

14. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Feb 25 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]396590[/snapback]</div>
    I found it interesting that the manufacturers of synthetics recommend the normal oil change interval. Of course, that presumably means of a "good quality" dino oil. So, 10k is probably reasonable, since that's what Europe has as its recommended interval for the Prius. As well, within that interval, it should do a better job than dino oil.

Dave M.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For what its worth, Mobil 1 has a statement on the bottle that it is compatible with all conventional motor oils. I would just change back at the next service unless you need the benefit of the better flow rate at low temp.

I have been using Syn Oil and Syn Gear lubes in my previous vehicles. Some of the benefits include:

1. More stable viscosity (this contributes to less oil burning for most engines)
    2. Better detergent properties (this minimizes deposits)
    3. Extended change intervals (holds more contaminents in suspension, keeping them from damaging your engine)This is especially useful for differentials/gearboxes because you can essentially change one time every 100,000 miles or so.
    4. Better flow rates at low temperature (protects better at very low temp)

The only real disadvantage (IMO) is the higher cost. However, if you change yourself, you will probably save money vs. taking it in.

16. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Feb 26 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]396673[/snapback]</div>
    Lets not forget another benefit of sythetic is.......It doesn't make your car a driving oxymoron.
    You use less "oil" and if you change it yourself you can take it in to recycle it.

17. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota in The Netherlands still recommends that after changing to synthetic oil, to not go back using mineral oil.

18. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I always change my own oil just because service departments always screw things up. Takes me 15 minutes and I know it is done correclty.

19. moolman

moolman Member

I have a degree in Chem and Chem E, so take it for what you will.

Synthetic oil is still dino oil, it's made from petroleum from the ground, the difference to put it simply is that it is filtered so all the oil molecules are the same size and uniform.

You can mix it with regular oil and it won't sludge up or damage the car at all. Hence, the half blend oils that are part synthetic, part regular oil.

I studied gasoline and oils as a Chem E and I'm qualified to work as a petroleum E. Use synthetic because you want to use "the best" for your car, there's a lot of things in life we pay more for even though it doesn't make a difference because we percieve it to be better. I buy advil instead of ibuprofen for headaches because it's a brand name but advil doesn't do a better job.

Synthetic oil will not make your engine last longer, nor give you better mileage, or anything else.

Even consumer reports did a test on Syn vs Dino and they don't see a difference either.

The main thing about oil changes is that they be done on time at regular intervals.

The only way I can see synthetic having a real advantage is if the some didn't change their oil for a real long time, I'm thinking in a Prius, if someone didn't change their oil for 15K, because the oil molecules are uniform, they may be more stable and pretty much last longer.

If you get an oil change every 5K you will see no difference except a lighter wallet but who cares, your car ( baby) deserves the best, so use whatever you feel is best.

I think I will switch to synthetic too soon, I ordered a PELA oil extractor and will start doing my oil changes at home. I'll probably go with Castro Syntec.

Alex

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moolman @ Feb 28 2007, 02:36 AM) [snapback]397691[/snapback]</div>
    I will state my primary reason to use synthetic oil is proven winter performance at -40 C. According to the SAE J300 handbook, a conventional 5W-xx only has to be "good" (MRV data) to about -30 C, which is the maximum yield stress of 600 Poise.

It is misleading, certainly disingenuous, to state that synthetic oils are “filtered so all the oil molecules are the same size and uniform†(sic). I should also note I have 22 years experience in the process control field, most of that in petrochemicals, so I know my way around trays and pumparounds. It’s a stinky and dangerous process.

Crude is cracked to produce alkanes, cycloalkanes, and alkenes, all of which are highly useful and valuable feedstocks to the chemical industry. A typical synthetic motor oil will contain polyalphaolefins and esters.

Alpha olefins make up things like 1-butene, 1-hexene, 1-octene, 1-decene, etc etc. To produce PAO requires an alkene to produce linear alpha olefin, primarily from an ethylene cracker. You can either use the Fischer-Tropsch Process, or get LAO from oligomerization of di-ethylene.

A PAO is primarily and currently most efficiently made from 1-decene. PAO is a polymer, since it’s polymerized from an alpha olefin.

In the interest of Fair Disclosure and to avoid claims of Entrapment, somewhere above I purposely inserted a false statement as a “reliability test.†Just to see if you are paying attention.