1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grumbling noise before/after gas motor runs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eddie27970, Dec 21, 2007.

1. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Had wrote about noises happening before and immediately after gas motor starts and stops. I was under the impression the coolant pump came on about 1 minute after shutdown. My noise happens within 5 to 10 seconds before and after gas motor running and stopping. After posting, I went to reading more and more, and now it seems this coolant pump may also be my problem, unless there is more than one electric motor involved? I still get the other pump noise, just fine, approximately 1-minute after car is off. Is there another electric pump motor? What do I tell the mechanic to check? Thanks

Wonder, it is Federal Law that emission components be covered under warranty for 70k miles. Also saw this in Toyota handbook. This coolant transfer pump could be part of the low emissions system, right? Anyone try arguing this to Dealership, or to Toyota?

And one more question? Assuming it is a bearing going bad, can it be oiled or greased?

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Grumbling noise? I know the brake accumulator pump makes a bit of a buzzing noise...

Is this happening mid-drive or only after turning on/off the car?