1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guess Gauge Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jimnjo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone run into this: three fillups ago the gauge acted differently, and has since. No change that I can detect in the other systems, the way it runs; no change in the way I drive or fill up. And I have a couple year's experience and nearing 40k miles.

The gauge seems fine at first, slipping down a pip at 110-140 miles depending on how well I filled up. After that they go down every 25 or 30 miles. I never paid such close attention to these that I have hard data, but I was always above 1/2 at around 300 miles on a tank when I got a good fillup and now it is always down to 1/2 at 240 to 250. The pips continue going down quickly until I get nervous and fill up. I started calulating mileage after I noticed the issue.

Mileage has been way below the screen once, about the same once, exactly on once. I recognize the issue of differences due to the way the tank bladder affects fillups.

Since I only calculated mileage for the first 1/2 year or so of use, I don't really know if this has changed, or only the guage. Is there a check that Toyota can do to see if there is a real problem or only a change in the guage?

Jim

2. ThePackage

ThePackage New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For what it is worth Jim, my gas gauge reacts similar to yours. My car is an '06-6 with about 40K on the clock. I do use the gas bar as a guide only. I depend on the MFD screen showing miles driven since fill up AND the actual average MPG shown. I assume the usuable capacility of the tank at 10 gallons. By multiplying the MPG by 10 and comparing the result to the actual miles since fill up, I have been very successful in determining the number of miles left untill I need to refill the tank. If you use the ScanGage, it will also calculate the miles to empty. Naturally, I still use a factor of safety so I'm pretty much refilling the tank at 8 gallons each time.
    Don