1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guess Guage LOL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tf4624, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So i know its linear and the bladder jacks everything up

but my concern is that i shouldn't look at the guess guage? lol

cause my car says 47-50mpg by the time i fill up and that is in 30 degree weather or so .. but .. when i do math from the Pump-on how much went into the car .. and divide it.. im off bye 3-5 which is a lot per gallon.. whats with that .. is the mpg meter in the car that is built in Jacked up? ..needs Calibration?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the refill warning triggers consistently at the 8-gallon mark, there's nothing to calibrate. That's what it (the Iconic model gauge) is intended to do.

The catch is, some owners desire a much greater capacity/range than what that offers. And that's what contributes to the refill inconsistency.

It will always be off by some with the MPG displayed, since that is only a rough estimate based on measurement that includes rounding errors. A squirt of gas is precisely how much? And with 6,000 of them happening per minute, it's easy to see how the value could be off.

3. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How will then I say hey I got this or that when its SO WAY OFF..

does the SCAN GUAGE II have that where it figures mpg whole tank after refil?

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How much mpg discrepancy do you get if you average over four or five tanks full?

5. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found that the gauge is off slightly more in the winter (reads an ave of 51 when I'm getting 48) than in the summer (reads 59 when I'm getting 57). That's based on only 1 summer and 1 winter, though.

Today I filled up at 3 pips because I wanted to see if my recent P&G combined with the 45-55 degree weather has been having an effect.

My dash estimate from the computer was 59.9 - I actually got 65+ (5.21 gallons over 342 miles).

Bet next tank I get something like 47 again.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The amount you just put in usually does not equal the amount you burned since the last fill. That's why manual MPG calculation is unreliable. The MPG meter on the dash display is more accurate.

7. Dutch

Dutch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, Richard. The bladder fill is not consistent, and as such you can't use the fill amount as what was actually burned over the last tank life.

8. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your conclusion is correct if you are talking about individual fuelings. However, over the long term (where fueling-to-fueling discrepancies average out), my experience shows that in my Prius, the MPG display on the MFD is optimistic by about 2.6%.

I have recorded the amount of fuel added and odometer reading each fueling over the 20,000 miles I have driven this car. I have also recorded the MPG display and reset it at each fueling. Using this method, I can calculate the volume of fuel the MFD indicates should have been used since the last fueling. The total volume of fuel added (according the the gas station's fuel pump) over the 20,000 miles was 414.29 gallons. Calculating the total volume of fuel predicted by the MFD over the same number of miles yields 403.86.

That difference, in my opinion, is pretty trivial. In addition, both calculations assume that the miles displayed by the odometer are accurate since that number is used in both calculations of MPG.

9. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And the fuel pump is temperature correcting to 15C here, but the car is probably not doing this correction. So, I guess this time of year when the pump tells me it put 25 litres of 15C gas in the tank, where it then contracts a bit due to the lower temperatures,.... then if the car thinks it burns 25 litres before the next fillup, it's actually a bit more empty when I fill up that second time.... and will report an optimistic number?

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your suggestion about the lack of temperature compensation is interesting...

Several people have the reported that the MPG display appears to be one or two percent optimistic. Other possible/partial explanations for the discrepancy include:
    - Toyota deliberately made it a little optimistic to make us feel better. But then why only two percent?
    - Evaporative losses from the tank: some of what you put into the tank never gets to the engine. But the vapor recovery system should prevent most of that.
    - Some gas pumps overstate the amount delivered. There is an economic incentive for this and it does happen. How often/how much is hard to judge.

Yep, I should have qualified that as "manual calculations for a single fill are unreliable".

11. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's common and as already suggested the MFD is more accurate on an individual tank basis. Most people find that in the long run the MFD is ~2% higher than manually calculated MPG. Do pay attention to the PIPs and consider refilling at 3 PIPS:)