1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

guess what fits in a prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jrnteacher, Mar 25, 2006.

1. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

In case anyone ever asks about cargo space, tell them our story. Last week, we adopted a 150-pound Great Dane. By folding down one half of the back seat, Peaches was able to stretch out with comfort!

Yes, a Great Dane is nice and comfy in a Prius. :)

FYI, our Prius is a 2006, silver package 4 that we picked up in early January. Lifetime mileage here in Tampa - 51 mpg. What's not to love?

Now, we're off to the store to see how much chow the prius will hold for our new family member.

Adios -

Peggy

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Very cool! A warning though, you may never be Dane'less again! I won't. On shorter trips, my guy lays pretty comfy on the back seat. He can't stretch so well, but he doesn't seem to want to. He props his head on the door and watches the world. By the way, a fourty pound bag-o-food is like nothing in the cargo area behind the seat. B) Enjoy you new baby!

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    PICTURES!

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ditto PICTURES!

5. sutherlin12

sutherlin12 New Member

It really is surprising just what one can put in a Prius. Just this week I hauled a 50 gallon water heater (new in the box) and a few weeks ago, I was able to put a full size recliner in the back. :eek:

6. moneytrain8

moneytrain8 New Member

We bought a 78" tall corner bookcase. My friend with a pickup truck said he could pick it up with me and haul it, but not until the next day.

I was anxious to get it, and wondered if it could fit in the Prius. So, being 78" tall myself, I went to the parking lot of the store, and folded the back seats down and leaned the front seat back, and proceeded to lay across the seats... haha... I figured if I could fit back there, the bookcase could, too! There was plenty of room!

So, I went and picked it up with the Prius. I didn't take into account the size of the shipping box, but the bookcase fit in there, and I could ALMOST close the hatch. I ended up having to tie it shut, but I was literally 2-3 inches from being able to shut the hatch... I was very surprised and impressed by the space I had. My Vue had 8' of "linear" cargo space (when folding down the front seat). The Prius had probably a little more than 7'.

If the Prius front seat folded flat and FORWARD, like the front passenger seat in the Vue, it would be awesome. Maybe if some Toyota engineer happens upon this post... Do it! The front seat will not fold back all the way with the rear seats folded forward. If both seats folded forward and flat, it would add tons of cargo/hauling space to the vehicle!

I know this isn't meant to be a hauling vehicle, but why not at least give people the potential?

7. ellisfam2

ellisfam2 New Member

Saturday morning I went surfing for the first time since buying my prius. With the front seat pulled forward and reclined and the back seats down, I could slide my surfboard in with no problem. Funny thing is, I'm a long-boarder. My surfboard is 9'6" long, 23 1/2" wide, and 3 1/3" thick. I did have to put the nose on the dashboard, but the hatch shut and I had plenty of room left over for my other surfing gear, AMAZING! Before my prius, only a mini-van or stationwagon could carry long-boards inside. Everyone at the beach was amazed...

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Next time remove the head rest(s) and the front seat will go all the way down. :D

9. v.jones

v.jones New Member

Like many others, I've been impressed with what would fit in the back of my Prius, but I got caught up short the other day... Stopped by the lumber yard on the way home and picked up a 4'x8' piece of paneling. I knew there was no way it would fit in one piece (and I was going to cut it into smaller pieces when I got home anyway) so I had them cut three feet off one end. Got out to the car and the 3x4 piece slid right in, but there was no way to fit the 4' x 5' piece into the back, even at a diagonal. Discovered the hard way that the Prius hatch opening is less than 4' in any dimension. So much for avoiding using the SUV.

Vince

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, yeah, but how often do you need to move around 4'X8' pieces of wood? If I moved that kind of stuff around on a regular basis, I'd have a full-sized pickup truck. Since I only need 4'X8' sheets of plywood once every couple of years or so, it's more cost-effective to rent that pickup from Home Depot or Lowes when needed.

11. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This past weekend, Three people, Three sets of golf clubs and three pull carts

12. jtullos

jtullos New Member

We've fit 6'-7' Christmas trees in ours, and a full size washer. Not all at once of course. The washer wouldn't quite let the hatch close completely (it was about 1/8" too deep to squeeze past the top of the hatch inside), but the hatch was almost completely closed, and I was driving through hills with no power issues whatsoever. Now, a new dryer (and its packaging) wouldn't fit, but I can borrow my boss's SUV if needed for something like that rare occasion.

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Is it possible to purchase a car roof rack that is mountable as needed ?

14. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We were able to fit in a new 27" TV, box included, in the hatch with the back seats folded down. There would have been no way to put it in our other car.

I'm not sure a 32" would have fit.

15. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

I bought an adjustable Precision Pet Barrier for our Prius. I have a full-size lab (not nearly as large as the Great Dane) and it works well for us. I am able to move it from the Prius to my SUV easily. I only had to trim about an inch from one set of poles (due to the narrowness of the Prius). All I do is remove the tonneau cover from the back and slide the pet barrier in place. It has hard plastic feet on the bottom of the adjustable legs and malleable rubber cups on the top of the bars/legs. When the hatchback is closed it does not budge (this was after some fine tuning of the height). With the tinted windows my lab does fine and is actually able to sit up and move around nicely.

I was a little leery of letting the dog scratch up the leather interior. Plus, I feel safer for her and me with her being secure in the back of the car, in the event of an accident. We took her on a road trip down to the Oregon coast and she loved it. There are other pet barrier manufactures out there; this one seemed to be the most common in the big box pet stores.

Precision Pet Products, Adjustable Pet Barrier:
    http://www.precisionpet.com/productPage.as...5&Sub=43&Cat=17

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a roof rack on the Prius featured in Failure to Launch. It looks very easy to add and has an aerodynamic plastic case on it (I think).

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's what won't fit... a queen size mattress and foundation. Had to haul the new mattress home lashed to the roof (no real surprise there). Oh man did it destroy my gas milage! I couldn't break 35 MPG with that crap on my root. With over 400 mi on the tank I dropped from 52 to 51 MPG on a 15 mi trip. Sadly, almost all of it was on the highway, so I had to drive 55.

18. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You also need to move the front seat all the way forward. There's still a little bit of an incline to the seat, but it gets pretty close to flat. Last weekend I used that technique to haul 5 eight-foot steel posts, a couple with bluebird houses still attached on one end. I put an old towel on the seat so it wouldn't get dirty. If you go over 8 feet with something, it has to rest on the dash or stick outside. But it's still pretty impressive - I haven't missed my Subaru Outback like I thought I would. And that space under the trunk was unexpected - hides all kinds of things.

When the tax refund comes in, I might get the Coastel Tech receiver hitch (the square end type of trailer hitch) and a hitch-mounted bike rack (saw one for $100 at Target). Haven't tried it, but my bike was a little tight getting into the Subaru, so I imagine it would be more difficult now. (And I don't want to ding up the inside of my nice new Prius :)

nerfer

19. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Newfs fit in the back!