1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guess what was blocking my driveway this afternoon?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, May 19, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I live about 2 blocks from a k-8 school and during pickup times and open houses our sidewalks get used up as excess parking spots. That's fine. However, I have a house which has 2 driveways, one 2 car garage and one 1 car garage(which houses my wife's prius). The 1 car garage has been blocked 3 times this year. It's always a fricking SUV. Why is that? This last one was a HUGE suburban of course with a dubya sticker, a we support the troops(buy supplying the enemies with IED money from driving this gas guzzler) sticker and the jesus fish sign. Is there a personality trait of being self centered, oblivious, and discourteous to others that is more inherent in SUV drivers?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 18 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]445536[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you can always back out of your driveway anyway...if you think you have more insurance.

Can you get the cars towed when they block? Will the police come out and ticket them if you do?

The first thing I'd do is call the local school and explain the situation to the principal. Often a little note in the parent newsletter and an e-mail to the staff will take care of this sort of thing. (But get the license plates anyway.)

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not believe that being an azzhat has anything to do with political tendancies. Azzhats tend to come in all shapes, sizes, and cultural predispositions. ;)

4. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 19 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]445644[/snapback]</div>

Excellent!!! I saw one of the yellow ribbon stickers yesterday, it looked just like one of the ordinary "support the troops" stickers, but instead it said

"support lap dancing"

I Want One!!!

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

That's just wrong. I would definitely call the cops every time it happens & have them ticketed or towed.

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 19 2007, 07:36 AM) [snapback]445644[/snapback]</div>
    Or just add sugar to the tank. I mean, GM cars don't have locking fuel caps right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 18 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]445536[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm... in my area, all residential streets near a school have a no stopping sign "except residents of xxxx block
    " whatever number that block may be.

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The cops won't do anything. If they finally come, it will be hours later, and the cop will say "I don't see a car". Anything you do to the car you will be liable for, so you shouldn't retaliate with violence.

Do you have a towing company near by? They would love to be able to come and tow them away. Its worth over $200 in revenue for them, even if the owner picks up the car within an hour. You may have to post a sign that says "Resident Parking Only - Tow Away Zone", but they will let you know what the requirements are. You may be able to "boot" or block the car in until the tow truck arrives. Also, check to see if you can charge them a parking fee ... the shopping center near the Ventura County Fairgrounds does just that. They have your car towed, then issue a private citation.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 19 2007, 02:17 AM) [snapback]445567[/snapback]</div>
    I would do this as well as call the police and complain.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ May 19 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]445662[/snapback]</div>
    You can make your own. I have one I made that says "Support our Halliburton Stockholders."

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How about a sign that says, "do not block driveway" ?

[​IMG]

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 19 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]445694[/snapback]</div>
    Will that work with one of their "flex fuel" vehicles? :lol:

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 19 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]445754[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know but I'm starting to think I should edit my post haha. It is mean but more importantly, it'll mess up the vehicle big time. I don't know if the lawsuit is worth the revenge lol.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Contacting the school may solve the problem. Softening or deflating a tire wouldn't cause any permanent damage. Check your state's motor vehicle code. You may find that blocking the driveway is an offense. If so, document it and either issue a private ticket or file a complaint. If you don't park in the street try painting your curb yellow.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ann Arbor is the home of The University of Michigan, and parking is always a problem. There's an old story in Ann Arbor; it's probably an urban legend, but it's too good to not repeat:

A home owner in Ann Arbor was plagued by a driver who often parked his car in the home owners front yard. This may sound weird, but front yard parking is common in Ann Arbor on football days. The important part for this story is that the car was completely on the home owners property, not just blocking a driveway. Repeated notes left for the driver and calls to the police failed to solve the problem. After the football game one day, the offending car owner returned to pick up his car, only to find a freshly installed brick wall completely surrounding his car. :)

Tom

17. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 19 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]445741[/snapback]</div>
    Now your assuming the SUV driver can read and....gives a $h*t. They can't and they don't.

18. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 19 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]445857[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, that's not a bad idea. Too bad the OP's problem is on the street, not on his property. I would definitely contact the police AND the school, AND take photos (including license plate #). Then you have proof when the police show up late.

19. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May , 12:48 AM)</div>
    Hmm, let's say the SUV gets 15 MPG and your Prius gets 50 MPG. Roughly a 3 to 1 ratio. So for every 3 soldiers killed/maimed you are still directly responsible for 1 soldier getting killed/maimed. Reminds me of something about stones and glass houses...

Rick
    #4 2006

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ May 20 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]446280[/snapback]</div>
    If our average vehicle were 35-40mpg in the USA, then we wouldn't need to rely on middle eastern oil. If we all stopped driving unnecessary/non job related/commuting trucks and SUVs(in otherwords, you don't need a suburban to pick up your child from school) then we wouldn't have to rely on middle eastern oil. I'm assuming the money used to buy oil from canada and mexico don't supply money to the saudis, thus the sunnies, thus the IEDs.