1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guide to Maximizing Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Asian Brad, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Asian Brad

Asian Brad New Member

hybridcars.com has assembled a lot of information and tips about how to best maximize your hybrid's mileage. they have general info and car-specific info for the Prius, HCH and Escape. Great for newbies.

http://hybridcars.com/gas-saving-advice.html

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Question - the article says: "Accelerate excruciating slowly especially from a standstill."

This seems to counter other advise that I have seen on PC. Any comments?

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Most of us recognize that this kind of acceleration, while it usually works by preventing the ICE from kicking in, is impractical in all situations where traffic is present. (Even then, some have insisted on doing it, at least occasionally, helping to build a reservoir of deserved ill-will against Prius drivers, and, by association against hybrids themselves.)

So we discourage it in favor of the next-best-thing.

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I try to accelerate slowly until about 10-13 mph utilizing the electric engine then the ice kicks in I then accelerate to speed quickly without over doing it. I find that by glancing at the instant mpg keeping it around or above 20 mpg I can squeeze a little more mpg out of the car. My average tank mpg is usually around 56 or higher (calculated not mfd).

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I shoot for around 3000 engine rpm. So the speed varies with HV SOC. Usually not speedy, but not so slow that many peolple are inclined to change lanes to go around me.

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I agree with the guide. And I accelerate slowly. However the coments here are not correct. The goal is not to accelerate on battery except in certain situations. Many here refer to accelerating without arrows. This is usually a very slow acceleration, although it varies with battery state.

As to other drivers I could care less. My last car was a low powered diesel and never accelerated fast. I accelerate faster now in the Prius with my slow acceleration than I did in that car with it floored most of the time. I've never had a fast car and always hold up cars behind me regardless. Prius is 50% faster than what I had but still slow compared to most other cars around me.

Accelerating on battery is a separate issue and can be used when you have excess charge to bleed off, need space for a big down hill, or for a short period where you have a downhill run and can eliminate and unnecessary engine start up.