1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guy Goes Full Out War Against Bees

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jan 1, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heard about this on the diggnation podcast and found it on digg.com and another forum.
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...mp;pagenumber=1

Warning: Brace yourself (or don't look) if you don't like seeing lots of bees, bees closeup or bee carnage.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

sickly hilarious.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks to me as though the bees were swarming. Bees are extremely passive when swarming. Now my uneducated guess is that this was half the bees in the hole, and they'd have eventually gone somewhere else to make a new hive, so the guy created a lot of smoke, and probably damaged the lawn, only to save somebody else, unknown, from having a beehive arrive.

A beekeeper could have trapped them and set them up where they'd have pollinated some farmer's crops and produced honey. He might even have given the pyromaniacs a free jar of honey. Though it sounds as though they would not have enjoyed the honey as much as they enjoyed damaging the swingset and the lawn and killing some harmless and useful insects.

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 1 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]369347[/snapback]</div>
    You are so correct Daniel, that was a classic swarm. Swarming is the natural way bee colonies have of reproducing, that is on a colony wide basis. And bees are extremely passive while swarming, about the only way to get stung would be if theis bozo were to get one trapped in his clothing and inadvertantly pinched it.

I've dealt with swarms several times when I lived on a farm, once you know what the queen looks like, all you have to do is to get her into a box, and the rest will follow, and the queen does look quite different than the workers by the way.