1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

H/K Drive&Play install question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mountainsean, May 6, 2007.

1. mountainsean

mountainsean New Member

Hi-

New 2007 Prius owner here. My Prius comes with the AUX input in the center armrest console, and it works great with my iPod. However, it's not very convenient to change songs or read the display. The Harmon/Kardon Drive&Play looks like a nifty solution. However, I'm not sure how I'd run the wire from the brain (which I'd probably install in the armrest too) to the display unit on the dash somewhere. I'd like the least amount of hassle w/respect to removing dash parts. Does anyone have some advice/instructions/pics for doing the display install/wiring? I found some other posts on the unit, but didn't really see much in the way of install instructions.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. indiepants

indiepants New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mountainsean @ May 6 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]436355[/snapback]</div>
    I've got a Drive+Play unit arriving on Friday. Running the wires in a neat fashion is the main concern I have too. If I figure out anything interesting while installing, I'll be sure to post about it.

(yay, colorado)

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Search for my thread on installing a DICE iPod kit. It's instructions will work for the iDrive.

4. tombellanca

tombellanca New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    new prius owner here - yay!!!

I had been using (and loving!) the drive/play2 in my trailblazer and will be installing it in the prius asap.

I think I'm going to put the brain in the center console and have it powered by the cig.lighter there. at first there was background noise, but I swapped a filtered (I forget the technical name for it) rca cable and it blocked the noise perfectly.

for the display and joystick, I'm planning on using this:
    ProClip Mounting System *-*Choose Your Country
    (if the link doesn't work, its a exterior mounting bracket that clips onto the dashboard next to the left air vent. very stable and easy to remove if/when need-be.

it will put in in a good eye spot and close to the steering wheel without stretching.

the last piece in the puzzle is the cable from the center console to the display on the left side.
    anybody have any good thoughts about this?
    should i be able to drill a hole in the bottom of the center console and route the wire out from there?
    then i guess, I'll run it either under the floor mat.
    whats the best (and cleanest!) way to get it from the floor to up near the vent where the display will go?