1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

H/K Drive+Play or ViasTech LSI?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by olcorral, Jan 11, 2006.

1. olcorral

olcorral New Member

I have the 2006 Pkg 8 Prius that has the AUX plug and Navigation. I want to control my iPod and have the sound quality to be the best it can be. It will be hardwired to the car.
    Now, between the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play and the ViasTech LSI, which is the way to go?
    I understand in order to install the LSI, the dash needs to be completely disassembled to access the rear of the head unit. That involves actually removing the dash and the head unit to plug in the LSI module. Doesn't sound all that appealing to me.
    On the otherhand, with the H/K Drive + Play, it is not so involved to perform the installation. No dash R/R and no worries about the extra screw after reassembling.

Pro for the LSI: Controlled thru the head unit/ steering wheel and displayed thru the NAV unit, right?
    Con for LSI: Installation!

Pro for D+P: Installation!
    Con for D+P: External display and control.

With this in mind, I would like some input as to which way to go with this choice.
    By the way, the LSI is $299 plus who would install?
    The D+P is $199 and Circuit City charges $80 plus $20 for adaptor for installation.
    Thank you very much for your input.

olcorral.

2. BobR

BobR Member

The dash does not need to be removed.

Read Craig's directions.

Bob
    [attachmentid=1775]

3. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Okay, then.
    Thank you!

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'll add to BobR's comments: it's a very easy operation -- and I am the poster child for "hate to dink with anything". My success was totally due to Craig's instructions, and Bob's suggestions.

However, check some of the other VAIS threads on PriusChat. Apparently there's an issue with the '06 models and displaying tracks/controlling the iPod from the MFD (i.e., the Nav screen.) Steering wheel buttons work great, though.

I have an '05 Prius, and the VAIS unit works very well. You should read some of the other threads re: some quirks of long (>100 song) playlists, and the number of playlists you have; but these haven't affected my enjoyment of the VAIS unit at all.

I have to admit that the H-K system looks very nice; but for me, being able to control the iPod from the steering wheel is the major feature. The MFD interface and displaying tracks is secondary, but still significantly useful.

5. BobR

BobR Member

I think the problem is with the AIC-100i and the 06 Prius. I believe the SoundLinQ products work with the 06 Prius.

Bob

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'm unclear on this, because there are conflicting reports of what Eugene (of VAIS) has said about AIC-100i and SoundLinQ compatibility with the '06 Prius in this PriusChat thread.

7. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Regarding Vaistech:

I sent Eugene an email this morning to ask if he would consider posting all the information about the Vaistech interfaces here on Priuschat. I hope that he will answer all the questions once and for all about which model does what for which year Prius.
    I have found Lexus.com has many of the same questions as are found here as well.
    I hope he does this for all of us including me since I am looking for the best solution to control my iPod and get the very best sound quality.
    Hell, he might sell a ton more of the units, too!
    olcorral.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for asking Eugene, olcorral!

9. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Bookrats,

Still waiting for a reply from Eugene at VaisTech. I'll post if/when I get anything. He's been pretty good in the past.

olcorral.

10. Dezool

Dezool New Member

I recently purchased a 2005 Prius and want to use my IPOD. I want it to be controlled thru the steering wheel/ screen controls and an Apple employee has recommended a NEO which he has installed in his Prius to play his IPOD.
    Does anyone have information regarding this product?

Thanks,

Debbie

11. augustson

augustson New Member

Here is exactly what I have been told from Eugene:

---------------------------------------------------

AIC-100i and SLI have the same compatibility.

We are working on the version that will be compatible with '06 Prius,
    and will post it on our website.

--
    Best regards,
    Eugene Kaspin
    VAIS Technology
    phone: 720-733-2348
    e-mail: [email protected]

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the h/k works all right, have to use a wired FM transmitter until we work something else out.

the unit itself does have a couple quirks but overall is very easy to operate and does not hijack the cd changer.

13. BobR

BobR Member

The Neo is the same product as the iPod2Car; please do a search for it. The topic has been discussed a number of times.