1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

H9 Bulb as Low Beam Headlight + Lumens for PIAA 15211

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Aegison, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have two main questions about changing-out 2010 Halogen low beam headlights for something which will give greater visability. I'm not concerned about color appearance etc., but on seeing better. Lifetime of the bulbs would be good info to get if you know it for the alternatives.

I have gone through this sticky thread,
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-parking-lights-rear-license-plate-bulbs.html
    but though there's so much there, I can't find much experience on these exact issues.

First: Using H9 Bulb as Low Beam Replacement. There is considerable discussion about using the H9 as a fog light replacement bulb, but not much of anything on using it as a low-beam replacement [non-LED]. I'm concerned about the extra wattage drawn and the possibility of excess heat in a low-beam application. Have you tried it ?? How did it work, and did you encounter problems like excessive heat, a melted socket, instability of light output, etc.?? Any guidance would be appreciated by my tired eyes.

Second: Another low-beam bulb replacement possibility is to use something like the PIAA 15211 bulbs ["55W --> 110W"]. Does anyone know the lumens these bulbs put out [PIAA customer service says it doesn't have the info ...] so they can be compared not only to stock bulbs but to others like Silverstars [and what are the lumen output of alternatives to the 15211].

Thanks for your help!

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your low beam bulbs are H11 (as are the fogs on the Prius V). H9 is a different size bulb, with a different electrical connector and socket. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

3. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The thread referenced in my initial post has a wealth of information (or where to find it) on adapting an H9 bulb to use in an H11 socket. In particular, there was a lot of discussion of doing so for fog lights -- and a general agreement that no melt-down occurrs. The H9 apparently puts out a great deal more light / lumens than typical H11 bulbs.

I'm simply trying to find out people's experience with doing that same modification on the low beams of [non-LED] 2010's, and also to see if there are H11 Halogen solutions which have markedly greater light output than the OEM bulbs.

4. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bump. Help -- Anyone? Someone must have made this mod.
    Thanks!