1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hack '06 SERVICE SCREENS (w/pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marcdare, May 30, 2006.

1. marcdare

marcdare New Member

This link was compiled and provided by PriusChat member RonM, and is the best compilation of how to navigate through the 2006 Service Screens. OUR THANKS TO RonM! He has also provided a link that tells one how to MASTER voice commands, a tool very overlooked in our cars. With this AMAZING LIST of commands, you can do everything from numbered address destinations to POI's and anything else you can think of...all while the car is moving. So, until we figure out how to override the NAV system touchscreen ops, at least for now, we have a HUGE fully functional other option. Here is the link to the Voice Command list. The link below this is how to navigate the Service Menus.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1360

AGAIN, THANKS TO RonM for his amazing efforts. The time, the pics, and the pioneering efforts are greatly appreciated! Y'all should check this guy out for his other amazing insights and knowledge he so freely provides. We should all follow his lead!

Please keep updating. I will also list what I have discovered and experiments I have run. Forgive any duplication on other parts of the site. I am just trying to get this seen by as many eyes as possible. The information is out there but scattered. I feel if we put all known facts in one place, NAV override WILL be discovered. Respond to this thread so it stays in the forefront of the main page (responses put any thread at the top of the list.) The more eyes it crosses, the quicker it will be discovered. Your response can be as short as "got it."

I will continue to edit the main page here with updates until we crack the code. If anyone else knows a better way to do this...feel free to do it, or tell me. I am not looking for any credit here. just answers.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...agnostic+screen

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT! This info needs to be combined and highlighted with all other known SERVICE MENU navigation techniques. Please, someone take this and post it in all areas where folks are looking for this. Many folks who are working on this NAV override issue don't have all of the known facts yet. I am seeing this more and more, and trying my best to corner all info. I am attaching a post I sent recently. Please thumb through, and someone with more posting experience please compile in a neater fashion. Thanks so much!
    It seems you know how to access several service menus. I am trying to compile a list and sort of "map out" the waters of the service menus. If you know more than I list here, would you kindly list all ways to access service menus? Bits of info seem to be scattered throughout this site. I am trying my best to compile into one place so one of us can figure it out. And like I said before, I have spoken to someone who does have the info...and they say it is indeed possible with the touchscreen...he just would not divulge the info. Hopefully, one of these programmers will pissed off enough at someone to spill the beans! Until then, lets work together on this.
    So far, the menus I know how to access are:
    1) Hit "Display" button. When yellow lines appear, on the left of your screen, touch just under the top yellow line, and just above lower yellow line, 3 times each starting with the top, alternating.
    2)When in this service menu...touch "menu" button in upper right, and it will bring you to "DIAGNOSIS MENU."
    3)Touch the upper left, and lower right of this screen one time each, and it will bring you into YET ANOTHER SECRET SERVICE MENU. In this menu, the lower right button (I forget what it says...will update later) doesn't seem to do anything when I press it. Hmmmm...when I HOLD it down, however, after about 5 secs it beeps, kinda like the old override button in the pre 06's. I tried driving right afterwards, and it still did not override the system...but something tells me there is more to it.
    I'm just trying to document any and all experimentations. I will copy and paste a previous post with all I know about the SERVICE MENUS. FOLLOWING IS THAT POST.
    Howdy folks. This is my first post not only on this site, but anywhere ever...so please bare with me. I, like many of you, have been trying to defeat the motion sensors that "grey out" the main NAV functions while the car is moving. It took loads of searching, but I found on this site a way to at least hack into the "SERVICE MENU SCREEN."
    Basically, you hit the "display" button from any screen, and when the two yellow lines appear that seperate top from bottom, on the left side of the screen, touch just under the top yellow line...then just above the bottom yellow line. Go back and fourth for a total of 6 times starting with the top (3 top, 3 bottom). For a more detailed description with pics, go to http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15018
    ****To exit this screen, the guy says you must turn the car on and off again. You simply have to hold down the "display" button for just over 5 seconds.************
    Now, from here, no one has figured it out yet. I have, however, contacted the makers of the software, and they assured me there is a way to do it by simply touching the screen, they just absolutely won't divulge it...yet. It took a lot just to get the guy to admit that...even that he said could have gotten him fired. So our thanks to him for at least saying it is possible.
    Now then, here is my theory. First, go into the service menu screen. It will say "SYSTEM CHECK MODE." Click "MENU" in the upper right corner. The next screen, you will see "DIAGNOSIS MENU." Click on "NAVIGATION CHECK," then click "VEHICLE SENSORS."
    You will see a screen that shows a digital speedometer, voltage meter, a bunch of other things, AND A VERY INTERESTING "RESET" BUTTON. My theory was this: While the car is moving and you are on this screen, you will see the digital speedometer matching of course the one in your dash. I thought, if ...let's say you are driving 25 mph, and hit the reset button...would it be like a digital "tare" button on a digital scale? Meaning, would it make the computer think the new "zero MPH" was now 25mph? Allowing you to use the NAV system for anything under 25mph? Or whatever speed you wanted to set it at? I tried it last night...not knowing if it would work or screw up my whole system. The answer was NEITHER.
    All it did was reset everything EXCEPT the mph, and something called "PULSES." When I held down the reset button instead of just touching it, the pulses kept increasing. I stopped after about 5 seconds...not knowing if I was screwing anything up. (I don't think I was...it all resets everytime you stop the car and turn it on and off again.) I have tried it since while the car is in park, and it seems the pulse meter simply measures any electricity being used in the car. For example, the V (which I assume means voltage) reads while the car is resting at 1.501. When I hit the reset button, it jumps to 1.504, and back when I release it.
    I know this isn't much to go on, but I feel if people know how to hack into that screen, the rest will come easy if we put our heads together. I am also including a link to show new folks how one was able to hack into the pre-2006 service menu screen and successfully override the NAV motion sensors without doing anything except touching invisible buttons in their screen. You can bet, (and like I said, I had someone back it up) it can be done in the 2006's. LETS DO IT EVERYBODY!
    HERE IS THE LINK ON HOW TO DO IT IN THE 2005'S AND BELOW:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyota-Pri...gation-Gray-out
    ***********UPDATE*************
    HERE IS MORE GREAT INFO I GOT INTO NAVIGATING THE STRANGE WATERS OF THE SERVICE MENUS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, BUT IF IT'S ALL IN ONE PLACE, I'M SURE ONE OF US WILL FIGURE IT OUT. ANY EXPERIMENTS SHOULD BE DOCUMENTED FOR ALL TO SEE HERE.
    Touch screen diags, for 2004 or newer
    Use of this information might result in disabling your vehicle, use it at your own risk.
    • Hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times, you can wait for system checks. -OR-
    Press the display button, then press the left upper and lower corners within the display settings box 3 times.
    o If codes exist press LAN Mon, then CHEK to show codes or hold code clr to clear codes.
    • From the initial screen, hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times
    for Model Info Set Up (type) screen. I do not know what these do, use at your own risk.
    o Types are : 690N 740N 836N 783N 620N 808N 480X 900N 382X 290X
    Types are : 901N EMV AVX(ten) AVX(nat) AVX_HV(ten) AVX_HV(nat) 749N
    • Use the Menu button to reach the Diagnosis Menu, press the Display Check and then
    Vehicle Signal Check to show the accessory battery voltage and other information.
    • From the Diagnosis Menu press upper-left then lower-right screen corners for PDM menu.
    o All buttons except for perhaps the Init. BackUp may be safe to use.
    • From PDM screen, hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times for an untitled screen.
    o Here you find a number of options stating success or PGM rqd including TKM, Flicker,
    setting:Tape/MD, setting Address:110H/120H, setting AC:eek:ff/on, and setting Auto:eek:ff/on
    • Hold the physical Display button to exit at any time, or simply power off the car.
    For those of you who understand "postings," as I am a novice, please post this under any category you feel will generate all of the information into one page...I know we are close to an answer!

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it's easy to get all excited when you first dig into these
    things, but as far as I know nobody's actually found anything USEFUL
    you can do with them, except maybe the nav override, and that's like
    2 years' true now. If you want some real fun, read up on CAN-View.
    _H*

1 person likes this.
  3. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 30 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]262912[/snapback]</div>
    2 years true for the pre-2006 models (NAV override), but yet undiscovered for the 2006. the point of this thread is to put it in front of the eyes of folks who CAN figure out useful things to do with them, and more importantly, figure out the FOCUS of this thread which is 2006 NAVIGATION OVERRIDE. I will read up on CAN-View (I have no idea what that is) but thanks for the tip.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't forget it was the Lexus group that found the override first. Is the 2006 Prius like the 2006 Lexus?

5. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 30 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]262984[/snapback]</div>
    I have no idea. If anyone out there knows, please let us know...and if you do know, are the 2006 Lexus Nav systems identical to Prius? or only in some aspects?

6. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenfoot @ May 30 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]262929[/snapback]</div>
    apparently CAN-view is not available for 2006.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Go for it!! I rarely use the override but when I do I really need it! Look at the Emergency back up. I have used it to test it twice. When I got the car and when I got the upgrade. From my home they take me to a walk in clinic that is closed on the weekend! OK I now where the emergency room is, and the hospital. What if I am out of town? How do you think I will feel if I show up with me and mine at a Family Practice office that advertises as a walk in clinic on Saturday with a real emergency and can not choose while driving a real emergency room. At that point Toyota is in deep Kim Chi. My Brother in law and Sister in law the Lawyers will go into action, supported by an extended family. We really need access to the data base in this car and we should exercise reasonable Judgment as to when to use it. Please do not help us. Warn us yes but do not restrain us!

8. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota deliberately locked out the use of certain nav and telephone features while the car is moving (probably for legal reasons). The fact that an override was found in 2004/5 models had to be a software mistake that slipped through. They have fixed the mistake; not likely they just hid it somewhere else. They have probably also satisfied themselves that nothing else is buried in hidden menus that they don't want available to customers.

If you want the override, the hardware mod looks simple enough; you just don't have recourse with Toyota if you get in an accident because of it.

On the other hand, you may find something interesting and useful in a search of hidden menus.

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 30 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]263173[/snapback]</div>
    Especially when we have paid for the technology. I believe Toyota's concern is merely out of self concern from potential legal suits BUT remember this vehicle provides many areas of potential distraction. I am one Prius owner who has modified the flow of data to inform the system whether it is moving or not. I should not have had to do this. This after a trip from Wisconsin to Florida where I tried to use the technology the way Toyota provided. It was unusable. As a result of the modification I now have access to the information I need when I need it. Funny thing is this is usually always when my wife is in the car with me. She now is able to access the information while I continue to drive the car. I hope Toyota finds a way to satisfy their legal department. It is sad they can not do it like Garmin does with their GPS units. They do WARN. But Garmin does NOT restrain use.

Cheers

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 30 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]263173[/snapback]</div>
    You make a good point, but I think that's a specious argument.

In an emergency, it's probably not important to be able to operate the nav while in motion. You could stop for a minute and then head for the hospital. Consider this: If you're in an unknown area, you don't even know if you were heading in the wrong direction. There's probably a 50% (or better) chance you have to turn around. So stopping wouldn't really impact your time; it might actually improve it.

And, in an emergency, people are usually dangerously distracted by the emergency. Operating the nav in motion would only add to the danger. If your passenger isn't expert with the nav, you'd start trying to help.

11. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ May 30 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]263192[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, there are no "mistakes." The override was in a deliberate place, in a deliberate menu...they just never meant for the laymen to discover or use it. That was the "mistake." For 2006, being the way to do it was so widespread, they changed it. Like I said in the thread, I was able to BS my way to speaking to one of the programmers, and when he saw how persistant I was being...he simply said it was possible, there was just no way he was gonna tell me. He also said with persistant complaints to Toyota and our dealers (we paid good money for the computer to work as programmed), it would eventually get released. So, it's in there...and after playing around and discovering hidden menus, it's only a matter of time before us Gen Xers figure it out...IT'S LIKE VIDEO GAMES BABY! CONTRA! left right left right, a, b, a, b...remember?

I will never mess with a hardware override, which involves messing with wires and setup. I know it is relatively easy to do, and works according to all I have read...but ripping out wires is just not my bag baby. I will wait for the soft key info to get released. I just don't want to take the chance of messing with my warranty, or screwing everything up. Bottom line, with voice controls, in an emergency, you can still use the NAVI in motion if you have to.

But you can bet...overriding the NAV, Bluetooth, and anything else, can be done. To quote Ross the Boss (Robert Vaughn) from Superman III,..."it's just like everything else in the twentieth century Gus...you push buttons."

12. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 30 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]263210[/snapback]</div>
    Unless I am mistaken about what you all are talking about...EMERGENCY is the one thing you CAN use on the NAV system while the car is driving. In fact, just last week my friend borrowed my car to take his Dad to the hospital, got lost, got frantic, called me...and over the phone it was so easy. Hit "Destination." Hit, Emergency...BOOM...the nearest hospital came up, and got him to the emergency room in 5 minutes...all while the car was in motion.

13. marcdare

marcdare New Member

This same thing can be accomplished in an even safer way by hitting the "voice prompt" button on the steering wheel, and simply saying, "Emergency" into the mic.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ May 30 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]263192[/snapback]</div>
    That may very well be true, but there are many cars that DON'T disable these features when driving.

Our 2005 Volvo XC90 (the "gold standard" for safe cars) does NOT lock you out of any features of hte car when driving. They not only included the controls fro the nav system on the steering wheel, but also included a remote so the passengers can also input info into the nav system at ANY time.

I really hate driving around, and having to stop the car just to be able to find the nearest Chinese restaurant for example. I know I could use the voice activation, but that's not the point. It's also things like being able to view the track list and track names for CD's and mp3's. THese are also greyed out when moving.

In out Volvo I could do all of these, or if hte situation required my full attention, I could let the passenger input it using hte remote.

Why couldn't Toyota do this...?

15. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is the problem that the TopLeft, BottomLeft, TopLeft, BottomLeft click sequence no longer produces a service menu?

If this is the case, then my theory is simple... Maybe they didn't intentionally get rid of it, but instead the hot spot has moved due to the higher resolution of the 2006 display. Test code like that service menu is usually not well written like product code should be. It may likely be that the two hot spots are defined by some hard-coded pixel locations. Therefore, if the 2006 screen has a higher resolution than the 2004-5 screen, the BottomLeft hot spot may simply be higher up on the display. If this is the case, you should be able to estimate the location of the BottomLeft hot spot based on the difference between the old vertical resolution and the new vertical resolution.

Its worth a try anyhow.

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 31 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]263427[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, getting into service on 2006 has been discovered, just that the 'Override' button is gone (or moved) from the 04/05. The sequence is slightly modified from 04/05..

Display -> TL -> BL -> TL -> BL -> TL -> BL

TL = Top left just below line
    BL = Bottom left just above line

Hold Display key for ~ 5 seconds to exit.

To comment on other posts - I am sure the override feature is still there... somewhere... I suspect it is probably another secret invisible sequence within the service mode (?). I am sure this feature HAS to be there for techs to troubleshoot issues with the car in motion... it's just a matter of finding it...

- Kevin

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ May 31 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]263423[/snapback]</div>
    At one time I thought one thing Toyota could do would be to calibrate the weight sensor in the passenger's seat so if the weight is over 50 pounds the display would become active.

18. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 31 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]263473[/snapback]</div>
    That would've been a great idea! They already use the passenger side sensor for the Airbags/Seatbelt status, they could've used it for the Nav override as well.

19. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ May 31 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]263444[/snapback]</div>
    Once in that screen as mentioned above, click "menu" in upper right corner. Then, in next screen, hit TL (top left) BR (bottom right) to go to another secret screen. This screen has all kinds of goodies. I also believe, as others do...different sequences of invisible touches on that main screen will get you to all kinds of different screens. Lets all play around and find out. I've done a lot of playin, haven't come up with anything yet.

20. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll be more than happy to do some reasonable experimentation with the the service screens when I actually have a 2006 (about 2 months wait).

Meanwhile, I was looking through the screenshots by RonM. The first picture in post number 4 in this thread got me curious since it is the "Navigation Check" menu: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...agnostic+screen There are 2 colums of 4 rowns of large menu buttons. Except there's no displayed button in the third row on the right side.

Knowing that on the 2005 you have to hold down the override button for several seconds for it to engage, what, if anything, happens when this blank area is pressed and held for 10 seconds or so?