1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hacking the Prius Computers for Info!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cawooddog, Oct 5, 2004.

1. cawooddog

cawooddog Junior Member

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

All I can say is: WOW!!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Uh, yeah. :roll:

Why isn't some of this information availble on the main screen? There are a few things that I think would be nice to have. Are they afraid it would breach sensory overload?

4. rydot

rydot New Member

That's incredible!!! Go Prius Hackers!!!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish it were accessible someway built into the MFD...but yea, I think the sensory overload may actually be the reason. Many of the reviews already complain that the prius is too complicated.

I mentioned in another thread that there is an ongoing project to produce a very nice little mini-scanner that will do exactly what this guy's stuff does (and maybe even a lot more) and could be available for purchase in the next 6mo-1yr depending on how fast the programming phase of the project moves.

There is a miniscanner available for the '01-03 Prius at Graham's site (sorry, don't have that link handy) in case anyone wants to see what kind of info it provides to have an idea of what the 2G miniscanner will do.

6. slumbum

slumbum New Member

Things I wish were different about the Nav:

1)The splash Screen: Would like my fav. music videos playing intstead of Caution:
    2)An ipod integration
    3)A phantom Radar Jammer
    4)Icons representing police speed traps.

Well, I can wish.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great info... so how long can it be before someone has a scanner for the 04's... i will definitely buy one.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"43588)</div>

Did you read my post before last?? I'm estimating 6-8 months...could be longer depending upon how fast the project comes together.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I love my mini-scanner! Was looking at the O2 sensor output today, interesting the way it goes up and down on flat level ground at 50 mph. Tells me the ICE is doing more than just idling to protect the PSD. On an interesting note, the other morning I arrive 25 minutes early for work, so sat in the car and read the paper and listened to the radio, this being a Classic you don't do that on the 12 volt battery so was sitting there running and over a period of 20 minutes BSOC went down to 54% and the ICE temp dropped to 65C and the ICE started, charging rate to the HV battery rose to 7.4amps so I thought I'd just give it a bit of gas and see what charge rate I could get it up to. As soon as the rpm started to rise, the charge rate dropped to 4.3amps. So much for a quick charge. The Computer runs this car, NOT the driver.

11. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    I was in the car a few minutes ago testing the screens from the link above. As it was dark, I had the internal lights on. The car was at ready, and in Park. Battery was at 5 bars or so (where the motor would be off normally). I twitched the accelorator, and the engine started and kept running. There was no need for it to run. I switched of the ignition after several minutes. The motor was warm as well so it wasnt just a case of the car deciding to warm up.

Is this some sort of service/recharge mode? I know there is a mode to force the engine to run to recharge a flat HV battery, but I assumed you needed the Inteligent Tester II (which costs around EURO 14,000 btw!) to get into that mode.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    "twitching" the accelerator hard enough may cause the ICE to run in response to what it detects as additional need for power... after the ICE starts, it will run for a certain period of time in some cases before shutting off.

13. Frank Hudon

Victor the computer really depends on the ICE to be at 70C or above. If the temp is say 67C and you bump the throttle the ICE will start and run till the temp goes over 70C. If the BSOC is around 53% or there abouts the ICE will run till it gets to 55% or above before the ICE will stop. These seem to me to be the most important parameters with this car.

14. victor

victor New Member

Maybe it was that, but I had done a 30 min trip 10 minutes earlier so the motor was as hot as its likly to get. I dont know the exact SOC, but I would think with 5 or 6 bars it was ok and the mitor wouldnt run for 5 - 10 minutes... I will try it again sometime when its in the green and see what happens.

15. Frank Hudon

5 or 6 bars in the blue is probably only in the mid 50's % state of charge. I would suspect that and not the temp.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it ran 5-10 minutes?? do you have a classic?

hmm did you have headlights, heater air or something running too?

i have never had my car run that long in idle. most ive seen was maybe 2 min at the most... most of the time in the morning it might run 30 sec but that is it.

i know Frank's classic will run for a good amount of time when first starting up, but my 04 doesnt do that.

17. Frank Hudon

also after 10 minutes of off time the O2 sensors need to come up to temp and the one between needs to see the catalytic converter is up to temp as well. They do cool down rather slowly but come up to temp slowly as well. Another thing to consider is if you were on electric drive for the last block or two, IE: 6/10 of a KM the motor cools quite quickly as well.

18. victor

victor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"43620)</div>
    No.

As I said, I am wondering if this is the recharge mode that service stations can use to recharge the HV battery when the car is left unused for a couple of months or so.

EDIT: Added here so as not to drift the topic (again). I tried again tonight on arriving to the car park after driving to work. Turned off completly, switched back to ready, park on, twitched and the engin started, then went off again. So I conclude that yesterday the battery musthave needed a bit of a charge and o the motor had cooled down more then I thought.

19. Frank Hudon

I have never managed to get into the so-called forced recharge mode. Not on the classic at least and without a scanner on the 2k4 you'd neve know. Even when the battery get's to 45% state of charge if you step on the gas, car stopped, nothing over 7 amps charge is registered. It stays the same as at idle. As I said the computer runs the car and not the driver.

20. Frank Hudon

Quote efusco "Many of the reviews already complain that the prius is too complicated."

many of the reviewer's need to turn the mfd off and just drive it and see it's just like a normal car. You know start it and put in drive and go. What's complicated about that? If you need it simpler than that, take a cab.