1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had 5K services and Oil Change (Some Drama)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ATHiker, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had a rather unsatisfactory experience with my first 5k service and oil change.

For some (paranoid) reason I took a photo of the front wheel just before dropping the car off. I made a destintive scratch in one of the reddish dots on the tire itself, and one of the inserts on that tire had some very distinctive light brown tape residue on it. Photo below.

I went to pick up the car and you guessed it -- the tires were not rotated.

Now at this point, I am taking things in stride. I ask the service writer to check with the mechanic. He said he already had. I suggest that with all the cars they do, perhaps there was some confusion, hold up my iPad mini and say I have a very specific reason for asking. He says OK, and I suggest that if he mechanic says he did rotate, that the service writer challenge that answer.

He returns and I am told that they absolutely rotated the tires.

I then walked the service writer over to the car and show him the photo of the left front wheel with the distinctive mark. Service writer looks me square in the eye and says that since they remove that inserts (hub cap in his words) so my photo shows nothing. I protest that idiocy but he remains firm.

I show him the redish dot with the destintive scratch on the tire itself above the numeral 7. He will only say that all the tires have dots and asked "what did I want him to do?" Did I want to have the tires moved back to thier original positions?

On another day I would have left never to return, but I said yes and watched the change over from a distance. I invited the service writer to take a look and see how the inserts are not removed, but he suddenly became busy. No surprise.

I shared my thoughts in relative calm but in no uncertain terms-- he was as calm as an undertaker and would only say that he did everything he could and that I could contact his boss tomorrow if I had any concerns. I said that it wasn't his boss that I would be contacting.

When I went back to pay, he service writer said there would be no charge -- including for the set of spare wipers I had asked for when I first arrived.

End of story -- I hope the got the filter right.

Well except for the wipers that were left in my trunk. They don't fit-- perhaps they will work on our 2010

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

#1 ATHiker, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd email the service manager. If he lines up with his service writer, you need a new dealership. You could email corporate Toyota too. That's the same filter box as 3rd gen, btw. :)

3. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm more amazed that you've driven it 5k miles (and sorry that they lied)

4. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear that, ATHiker. My new Prius is my 4th Toyota, and I too have some of those crummy service stories. Have you ever put a white chalk mark on the inside of the tire? (But many mechanics are wise to that trick, and just wash it off.)

I doubt if Toyota Corporate in Torrance would be of any help. I went round & round with them concerning bad (phony and unnecessary) repairs I received on my '05 Camry. They just told me that Toyota has no control over the dealers... the dealers are an "independent business", I was told.

I have the "2 years of free maintenance" on my '16 Prius. How much do you want to bet, that some crooked service departments don't even change the oil?! And have you ever seen the "experience requirements" on the job application for the oil change/tire rotation "technicians?" I was looking at the Job Openings webpage for a dealer I frequent. Basically, if you can just make it into work, you're hired! No Toyota-specific experience required. (And you KNOW they used a hydraulic impact wrench on your lug nuts... not a torque wrench as specified in the owners manual.)

I might take my Prius to a local tire shop, for rotations. I can watch them work. And they use a torque wrench to properly tighten the lugs. And they do oil changes, too. (I bring my own factory Toyota filter and oil.) I hate Toyota dealers so much, that I will gladly pay for the 5,000 Mi service elsewhere. I've been to 3 or 4 various Toyota service depts, and every one of them tries to "oversell" you, recommending work that's not needed or necessary; or the young service writers just flat out lie about nonexistent "leaks", etc. One guy smeared power steering fluid on the lines, then claimed I had a bad leak. He also claimed I had a broken engine mount. Negative on both of those. I did my best to get him fired.

I feel very sorry for women, the naive, and the elderly that get ripped off daily at dealer service departments.

#4 Coast Cruiser, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, I've watched Costco torqueing wheel lug nuts, going around the nuts in sequence, not star-pattern. Not sure how critical that is.

6. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Good idea to mark the tires! Some places are damn shady..

7. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wonder if it was just one person's lazyness?

This is the first car I have had with a special "locking" lug nut. While it was in the special cut-out for it under the hatch floor, I did have a plastic tub in back, my reusable shopping bags (of course :)) and a few loose items, too.

Not much, but enough to that a stressed employee might be more inclined to say $&@x it.

Not sure how dealers handle those special lug nuts, but I wonder if my failure to "make it easy" contributed to the lack of rotation? Not that it should have, but I still live in the real world.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they usually rotate the tyres, and loose the lug key...

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Never trust a dealer with what you can do yourself...

10. Topp Cat

Topp Cat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I retorque my wheel right after I return from having them done& retorque them after a week or two! Alway check for leaks under the car and oil level! I have a oil change on 2011 Kia Sportage drove it 0.7 miles and notice oil light cane on pull over there was oil dripping from the front it only had 2,500 miles oil filter had double seal on it! Luckily it didn't run dry!

11. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With the rotation would they not have to reset the Tpms also? I know the Prius is not like some that have each sensor with a unique SN that is remembered .... I.E. RF is 3 LBS low. I hope to have a 2016 4 in the next two weeks. I have had a Prius from Gen 2002 (ordered through internet) through the 2014 I have now.

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think it is fair to group all dealers as being bad. The Toyota dealer I go to has glass walls so that you can see your car being serviced. You just need to find the right dealer. BTW, the first oil change is done at 10K miles, so unless you paid for it at 5K miles, it was not done.

N.J.PRIUS, Caniac and twonuts like this.
  13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The requested oil change was done early and I fully expected to be charged for that. To the dealer's credit, they encouraged me to stick with the recommended cycle and save my money, but were happy to accommodate next my special request.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AFAIK the location of wheels doesn't matter.

15. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota dealer is a waste of time as far as tire rotation comes. Go to Costco. You will never look back.

16. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had my first oil change at the dealer at 3000 miles. Wanted to have it early just in case of manufacturing debris in the engine. The only issue I have is that the dealership did not reset the warning notice. Now that I have crossed over 5,000 miles, I have to clear the error message of "Maintenance Required" and why does the warning show up at 5,000 miles? Shouldn't it be 10,000 miles?

17. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Even though Toyota changed the oil change interval for the Gen III from 5k miles to 10k miles, the maintenance required message still displays at 5k for tire rotation and general checks.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  18. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same problem with my 2011 Gen 3. The cars came with a 7500mi? interval built in but then Toyota changed the official interval to 10,000mi. Carista does not have the capability (yet) to change the oil change warning interval. Something to suggest to them.

A concern of mine is oil. The Prius takes 0-20W synthetic, but I think most other Toyotas take 5-30W or something like that. The dealer doesn't bother with quart bottles, they have a central delivery system, which may not have the capability to dispense more than one type of oil? When I had my Gen 3 in for one of its first oil changes, I noticed a small drop in MPG after that, and talked with the dealer about it. From then on, I supplied 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0-20W when I brought it in for an oil change. Now I'm wondering if I should ask to get the empties back when they return the car to me?????

I prefer the 10,000mil interval because it's easy for me to remember.

19. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. Even though the last three Prii I purchased came with free service up to 25k miles, none of them has ever been to the dealer or a mechanic for service. If you want it done right, do it yourself. And if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Words to live by.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  20. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    One good reason to take your car to a dealer (at least occasionally) is to get TSB updates completed.

krmcg likes this.