1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had a bad test drive - but my mom gets 55 MPG on hers! ???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by macmaster05, Sep 27, 2009.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I test drove the Prius yesterday. I clearly do not have my mothers genes because she gets 55 MPG on her car but I only got 30 during my testdrive. Is it possible for me to change my driving habits when I buy my prius or am I doomed? Serious question since it'd be a waste to have a prius and get bad mileage. thanks....

2. Oddest_raindrop

Oddest_raindrop New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is very possible to improve gas mileage with out little effort. I also found that like fine wine the gas mileage will get better with time. Also if you went for a short test drive that will knock it down pretty quick.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say it's a waste b/c if you're getting 30mpg in the Prius, i don't wanna know what you're getting with a regular car!!

The Prius will guide you in to getting better fuel economy (esp. the 2010 version). I think for the average person, the 2010 will be easier to get better mpg.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many factors will determine gas mileage in all cars, some are 'magnified' in a Prius.

1) The Prius gets better mileage on longer trips than shorter trips. The software is designed to get excellent emissions, when cold the computers are running the Engine to warm it up quickly, so the catalyst can reduce pollution.

2) High speeds get lower gas mileage than low speeds. The Prius cannot turn off the Engine above 43 MPH, even if it is not needed. In some respects, the Prius drivetrain acts like a single speed transmission, (the ratio between Motor/Generator 2 and road speed is fixed) so you find speeds where the Engine cannot do high RPMs, and speeds where it can't do low RPMs. None of this will be a problem driving normally, but you won't get high MPG while going for a land speed record.

3) The Prius attempts to regenerate power by charging the battery via MG2 when you press lightly on the brake pedal. Panic stops use the same friction brakes as other cars (Disc in front, drum in back, most years) If you are routinely slamming on the brakes, you are losing some of the power and economy the Prius offers. Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

4) The amount of time you can spend running on batteries, depends on your electrical load. I willingly take the 1/3 MPG hit to have my headlights on all the time, but I can tell the engine runs more. I take a 2 MPG hit in the summer with the A/C on. (it has an electric compressor since 2004, otherwise the engine would have to run all the time the A/C was on)

It is amusing to me that rural postal carriers consistantly get the lowest MPGs (about 35 MPG) reported on this site, but are enthusiastic about the Prius, as that low number is wildly better than other cars they have used to deliver mail.

5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Macmaster05

I wouldn't certainly use a "Test Drive" comparison for real life mileage. I too, test drove the Prius and when I test drove the 2010, I was at about 37 MPG, and today am enjoying 53.5 after 695 total miles on the car. Love every mile of it! :)

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after warm ups... assuming you'll drive longer when you own it. break in period.. and a little experiance.. you'll get decent gas mileage.

now.. keep in mind.. i own an 04.. i'm 25.. i abuse it.. i tow things.. cars, trailers, have a huge deep cell for off grid use.. i inverter, sub, amp, work tools, misc plumbing, screw and nails, etc... i get 40+

if you're looking at a GenIII, they are more efficient than my GenII. i heard keeping the car in power mode returns good results.

i notice you're in the bay area. (me too) be sure to look at the s.f. bay area group forums.

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mind you, it is only a test drive. You didn't say how long it was, was the car warmed up, did you sit in it (with the engine running) getting familiar with the mirrors, gauges, etc, how far you drove, conditions, speed etc. So many variables.

Why not borrow your mom's car for a few hours and do your normal commute or driving and see how you do. I will guess that it will alleviate your concerns.

8. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I certainly understand your concerns, macmaster05, and I entirely agree with Codyroo ...

... if your test drive was less than 5 miles / 10 minutes or so AND if some time was spent idling, then it's little wonder the resulting mileage was so poor. The first five minutes of almost ANY drive in our '08 is USUALLY below 35 mpg and only RARELY above 40 mpg ... even if the weather is fairly warm but NOT so warm that we kick on the A/C!

Also, if your mother is not willing to let you borrow her car - I know my own mother wouldn't let ME ... snicker .... - you might still be able to glean a lot of information / driving tips / etc. by riding with her in her Prius and observing her driving tendencies / habits for a spell; for MORE than just a single, very short trip.

Lastly: after almost 14 months of ownership and with about 11,500 miles driven - no ... we don't drive much! - the WORST mileage "Mithril" has ever gotten for an entire tank was "only" 38.2 ... I simply can NOT imagine that "somewhere in the lower-30's-mpg-range" would be what you'd achieve on a regular basis!

9. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Slight correction ... ALL AUTOS get better mileage on longer trips. The all need to get up to operating temps before they run effeciently.

I agree with most everything else you stated.

-Brad

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mom ALSO doesn't let me drive her prius!! HAHAHA. I thought it was only me. And I am learning her driving habits from her. She lectures me about how to drive it almost every day, haha.

Well I just bought the car yesterday and still haven't had a drive past 10 minutes but soon I will begin driving to work everyday (40 miles one direction) so I will keep you updated! Thanks again!

11. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    CONGRATULATIONS to you, macmaster05, on your recent purchase!

There are times I wish I had a 40 mile commute; the savings would be phenomenal as compared to our '97 Stratus, which my wife simply "adores" and refuses to get rid of ...

I'd be interested to learn what "sort" of a commute you'll be making; mostly highway ... some interstate ... how much "city" driving is involved ... posted speed limits along the way ... traffic situation light, moderate, heavy, bumper-to-bumper ... etc ....

And I'd be ESPECIALLY interested to learn what sort of MPG you end up getting after the first few fill-ups!

Best of luck, enjoy, and congratulations once again!