1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had a look at some BYDs yesterday

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hkmb, Mar 27, 2022.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BYD is going to start selling electric cars in Australia in a few months. There are already loads of BYD electric buses in Sydney.

They've just opened an "experience centre" in central Sydney, so I went along for a look yesterday.

They have two cars on display. Both are Chinese-spec, LHD, so they can't be test driven. But it was interesting to have a good look at them, both inside and out.

I think BYD only offers buses and trucks in North America so far. But I could be wrong.

The two cars on display were the Dolphin (called the EA1 in some markets), and the Yuan Plus (which will inexplicably be called the Atto 3 when it comes out in Australia). The Dolphin is a small city car, about the size of a VW Polo or Toyota Yaris, and the Yuan Plus is a compact SUV, about the size of a Honda HR-V or Toyota C-HR. The Dolphin is a purpose-built EV, and the Yuan Plus is the EV version of a car that's also sold as a hybrid and a PHEV.

They're going to be very cheap by EV standards. As benchmarks, Australian prices for EVs that I think you can get in the US are as follows:

• Nissan Leaf - from A$49,990
    • Hyundai Kona Electric - from A$54,500
    • Kia e-Niro - from A$62,490
    • Hyundai Ioniq 5 (if you can get one - there's a two-year waiting list) - from A$71,900
    These are list prices: On The Road prices add a couple of thousand dollars.

The cheapest new EV you can buy in Australia is the MG ZS EV, which is A$42,990.

The Atto 3 starts at A$44,990 drive-away, which is about the same as the MG ZS EV. Sales are starting in a few weeks. The Dolphin / EA1 will start at around A$30,000.

The Atto 3 was pretty good. I liked the interior design. There was a good amount of space - more than you'd get in an HR-V and a lot more than in a C-HR. Seats were comfortable and supporting. Most of the interior fittings were well-made. There was a nice, padded dashboard, and very clear digital driver's display and infotainment screen. Like the VW ID.3 (which we don't have here), the driver's display moves up and down with the steering wheel. The 12.8" infotainment screen is portrait when driving, and spins to portrait when parked so you can watch videos while charging the car. In the back, windows were big, and there was a panoramic sunroof, so there was a really good sense of space.

There were a couple of fairly big let-downs, though. The air vents were really plasticky and felt fragile. The air-vent controls were even more plasticky and fragile-feeling, and notchy and just cheap. The vents and controls had a cool, unusual design, but they were just badly made. It really let down the rest of the car. The volume controls and a few other buttons on the centre console looked like nice metal, but felt cheap and lightweight. All in all, it was a pretty good car, especially when you consider how much cheaper it is than rivals like the Kona and e-Niro. But it was not perfect.

The EA1 was the bigger surprise. Because it's a purpose-built EV, it's very well-packaged. While it's as big as a Polo or Yaris on the outside, there was more space than a Golf or Corolla on the inside. The design inside was cool - a lovely, swoopy dashboard in a combination of metallic pink hard plastic and soft purple-and-grey padding, with turbine-style air vents. Volume controls and other knobs were nice, solid metal. The back seats were very comfortable and had loads of space. Seats were a convincing fake leather, in white, pink and purple.

The EA1 is going to be 30% cheaper than the next-cheapest EV in Australia when it's launched, and prices are actually competitive with ICE cars of similar size: Yarises start at $23,990, but with far less equipment than an EA1. If I were in the market for a car that size, I'd seriously consider it.

Charging speeds may be an issue for both cars. They have BYD's Blade LFP batteries - the ones that are also going to be put into the Model 3. They're safer, and they seem to last longer than other batteries. But the EA1 charges at 60kW, and the Atto 3 at 80kW. The charging speed curve is much flatter than with other cars, so 80-100% is almost as quick as 10-30%. But still, I think this could be a problem: with the extended range version of the Atto 3, you get a 420km WLTP range (so maybe 320-330km real-world, and 10-80% charge takes 45 minutes. To me, this is too slow.

All in all, though, it was an interesting day.

I'll paste a couple of video reviews below so you know the cars I'm talking about.

john1701a likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EA1

Atto 3

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for sharing! That's lots of detail many of us simply don't have available.

hkmb likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm..... Yes, that just looks like straight protectionism. We have a worse relationship with China than even the US does. But we don't have our own auto industry to protect.

It's a shame. The buses we have here are good.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Caution, don’t take just one internet source.

Bob Wilson

douglasjre likes this.
  7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm nearly lost my life several times due to things I've purchased from China. One such occasion was a brake part for a motorcycle which suffered a catastrophic failure and nearly resulted in me not stopping the motorcycle. A brake failure is not acceptable. Recently I purchased a leaf blower which suffered its first value within the first 5 minutes of operation. After repairing that problem they suffered another failure 45 minutes later which sent shrapnel flying in all directions nearly it impailing me and my dog. Almost everything I have ever purchased from China has either failed shortly after putting it to use or did not work immediately upon opening the box. Some of these failures have almost caused my demise.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Us got the e6 for a few years, and BYD's US site seems to be hopeful about introducing new models. The Yuan is listed, but I imagine the Dolphin is considered too small for the US market.
    https://en.byd.com/auto/

Don't know much of anything about the e6. Going by EPA listings, it was only around for three model years. It was a FSP of an EV though; 72 mpge combine(47kWh/100 miles).

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most taxis in Shenzhen are e6s. They're kind of awkward-looking, and they're MPVs without an MPV number of seats. It was one of BYD's earlier efforts at an EV - they've come on a long way since then.

Very good, comfortable taxis, though. The taxi drivers I spoke to about them spoke very highly of them.

What's an FSP?

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Wiki said BYD starting them out in taxis programs. It's a good place to test cars out.

FSP = fuel sucking pig. The Model Y is in the 110 to 120mpge range in comparison.

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did a full metallic blue paint on a MGB and some bodywork on an MGB-GT (freelance) when in high school.
    which is why I wanted to see what that car was about since we don't get them in the US anymore, that I know of anyway.
    https://www.mgmotor.eu/model/zs-ev
    it doesn't look anything like the old sporty cars MG used to make. I only hope they don't have a reputation like the Mini's are getting - stateside anyways...

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. After all, if you want a focus group full of people who will complain about every little thing that's gone wrong, you can't beat a cab driver.

And there's the high-mileage, high-wear, urban driving too, I suppose.

Ah, right.

I think that's understandable. It's a big, heavy car. And it was around very early in EV terms - it was launched in 2009.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would have been lovely.

But no, the new MGs are a very different thing. MG was part of British Leyland, which went through multiple bankruptcies and lots of owners. One of the owners, when BL was called Rover Group, was BMW. They kept Mini, and sold off the rest.

Eventually, MG was bought by Nanjing Auto, and its sister company Rover was bought by SAIC - Shanghai Automotive Industrial Corporation. SAIC then absorbed Nanjing Auto, so MG is now a SAIC company. Most of its cars are built in China, but some are assembled in kits in the UK. The first Nanjing Auto and SAIC MGs were based on MG-Rover cars built in Britain in the 1990s, which were generally boring family hatchbacks: MGs were just the "sporty" badge-engineered versions of Rovers and Austins in the 80s and 90s.

The current cars have absolutely no connection, other than that convoluted historical thread, to the MGs you remember. They don't even really use the old name: SAIC says that "MG" now stands for "Modern Gentleman" rather than "Morris Garages". I don't know why they bothered with that.

You don't even see the new MGs in a cloud of steam by the side of the road. What happened to tradition?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    even a funeral is tradition. Triumph, Austin-Healey (dad had one) Sunbeam, Datsun 2000 ..... they all suffered the same fate. Our beloved roadster deathtraps prone to break down all got better, or like the dodo bird they went extinct.

15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Chrysler Plymouth Dodge has had some interesting ownership changes since being one of the Detroit big 3, hanging on another decade with a little help for the K cars and the Caravans.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That EPA rating was for 2018 to 2020 model years though. The 2013 Model S 85kWh was a little heavier, and still managed 89mpge with induction motors.

The little Coda has a low efficiency, and uses LFP batteries like the e6. Could the battery chemistry suffer from efficiency loses when uses in a car application?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coda_(electric_car)

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d love to get a close look at the Dolphin.
    I am looking for a smaller vehicle, cheaper doesn’t hurt either. Range beyond 100 miles doesn’t matter.

A used i3 and the Mini Cooper SE are my current lead contenders. The Dolphin might fit what I am looking for.

18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. When the original MX-5 / Miata came out, people said how authentically it reproduced the experience of the 60s and 70s British roadsters. And yes, there was the wind in the hair, and the fun handling and the lightness and simplicity. But the whole not-breaking-down-by-the-side-of-the-road-in-the-rain thing took away from the authenticity. Getting to your destination on time, dry and comfortable, and not in a breakdown truck, just wasn't part of the traditional experience.

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. If I were looking for something that size, I'd seriously consider it. It looked and felt great, and there was a lot of room.

Its NEDC range is 405km. So I'd guess you'd be looking at 250km / 150 miles EPA.

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 1963 TR4 (purchased new) did not break down regularly for the three years I owned it. It did however have accidents about once per year which was an inconvenience. I had to sell it after three years as I could no longer get insurance.

JeffD