1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had an epiphany tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brian, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was driving down the road; no headlights or taillights in wither direction. All dark except what was lit in front of me. Then I looked at the Energy Screen and arrows were going from the battery to the motor and to the wheels. I then had my epiphany and realized that NO emissions were leaving the car.

I think that it was cool because we drive such a technologically advanced vehicle and to be able to drive at 40mph and having no emissions is such a giant leap to aiding in reducing the green house effect. I was just astonished that I was just driving around with nothing leaving the vehicle, at 40MPH!! The Prius is just too cool and gets better every day.
    Anyone else have this epiphany?
    AMAZED HERE!!!
    Brian

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Yes. Last week I went into the city to the Whole Foods Co-op and on my drive back home, I use a level street that allows me to run for about 10 blocks with only the battery power. A woman in an older Dodge mini-van pulled out in front of me and hit the gas. I watched the cloud of blue smoke pour out of her van's tailpipe and realized that she had probably produced more pollution in that one move than my Prius would produce in a year of driving.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I call it the Kermit factor. It is, indeed, cool.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yup. You've got a PZEV (partial zero-emissions vehicle) there. (Actually, an AT-PZEV... see the California Vehicle Emission Fact Sheet for a glossary and a nice graphic of just how clean you is!

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Had the same experience here in Seattle. At 42 mph, I noticed that I was running entirely on the electric motor and did so for about 4 miles until I got to a slight grade. I didn't think the car would run EV above 30 mph, but if conditions are right, it definitely will.

6. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I seem to remember reading that you can only run in pure EV mode up to 44 mph. That doesn't include downhill regen braking.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    42mph is the limit for non-EVbutton Stealth (ICE OFF).

34mph is the limit with the EVbutton.

8. ifftster

ifftster New Member

Yes, many people get caught up in the MPG and seem to forget about the nearly zero emissions. As Prius owners we get the best of both worlds :mrgreen:

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just think that the AT-PZEV is so cool!!!
    I love it.

10. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

My limit is 41 mph for the ICE kicks in. Don't know why it's not 42, but I've confirmed on many occasions that it definitely is 41 mph.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CEO for Toyota USA said something to this effect during an interview on a local channel once:

Driving a Prius in a metropolitan area, the air coming out of the tailpipe is cleaner than what the car inhaled. :mrgreen: