1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had BIG jump in MPGs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Brian, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live at the top of a 2 mile hill. The speed limit going up is 50 mph. Usually I fill up before I go home, thus making the mpg's I try to get on the way there just plummet. Usually, when I fill up on the way home, my overall tank mpg's are about 40-42. This time I filled after I left my house. And right now, as of 90 miles, I am getting 48.2 mpg. :D :D So, I think this has to be a big contribution to my lower mileage earlier. Now I am getting much better. :) :D

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Teaching yourself to drive efficiently takes some time and lots of practice. Resist the urge to drive aggressively, you'll be rewarded by continued increases in milage.

The Consumption display can be a great training aid; just keep the blue above the half way mark and let the car do the rest.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For a better but unfair MPG report, reset the MPGs once you get home, freshly filled up or not. Then check them just before starting the trip home. I bet going downhill for the first 2 miles will keep your average well up there even if you get 40MPG the rest of the trip...