1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had my first noticeable regen-braking cut-out today.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uart, Sep 26, 2010.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was descending a long hill at about 40 MPH and the SOC went up to full 8 bars. Near the end of the decent I was slowing for some traffic lights, braking fairly lightly while hoping for the lights to change before I got to them. Suddenly at about 15 to 20 MPH it felt like the regen cut out really abruptly and it switched to friction only. Presumably the poor battery could take no more charge.

Anyway it didn’t really feel unsafe or anything, just a different feel on the brake pedal. It kinda felt like the pedal pushed down a bit further even though I didn’t increase the pressure with my foot.

2. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yea, been there too. Also experienced the phenomenon of loss of regen braking while coasting down a long hill. Once decended down I5 north out of LA when after 10mins or so of letting it coast in 'B' mode, I began to hear the engine rev higher and higher and higher - to the point that it was really making a loud roar. It was then I realized the battery had taken a full charge and to prevent it from overcharging, the electroncis was revving the engine to provide traditional engine braking.
    Gotta love the intelligence in this car!

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I regularly descend this same hill, and often (but not every time) it goes up to full SOC. If I have to come to a complete stop at the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill with all 8 bars SOC showing then it sometimes just starts turning the engine to dump charge while I'm sitting there. If I get the green lights however then after that it's back to flat terrain and I can start using the charge before the car gets upset with me and tries to dump it.